WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished my new bench

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    After almost overturning mine a few times while sizing 45/70 boolits, I bolted it down to the cement floor. It hasn’t budged since.

Boolit Master

DTDK, that’s nice. Congrats.

For everyone else: If that bench seems like it’s expensive, you should try building a quality one from wood. The price of the drawer slides alone, even cheap full extension ball bearing slides, is daunting. It requires good plywood to make the carcass and drawers, too. I recently built a similar sized bench with 21 drawers. The wood alone was right at $400. Add a BUNCH of fasteners, 21 sets of slides, drawer pulls, retractable wheels, glues and finishing materials. The cost escalates quickly. OTOH, the one I built is exactly what I wanted.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    DTDK, that’s nice. Congrats.

For everyone else: If that bench seems like it’s expensive, you should try building a quality one from wood. The price of the drawer slides alone, even cheap full extension ball bearing slides, is daunting. It requires good plywood to make the carcass and drawers, too. I recently built a similar sized bench with 21 drawers. The wood alone was right at $400. Add a BUNCH of fasteners, 21 sets of slides, drawer pulls, retractable wheels, glues and finishing materials. The cost escalates quickly. OTOH, the one I built is exactly what I wanted.
    I am a hobby woodworker and agree 100%. I bought my tool chests on sale at Home Depot and they are a bargain. But a tool chest will not make a decent reloading bench.

For my shotgun reloading, I got two of these:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ultra-hea...plp_product_40

I added 2x6 boards for a shelf and put a bunch of shot and cast bullets on the shelf. Very sturdy and stable. Again, not worth the effort to build out of wood.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    See my post #9. So far the Op has not reported back but I know it will not work as a reloading bench. Let me correct that. It will not work the way I would need it to.

I cannot believe so many folks think this is a good idea. I suppose it beats using a hand press...LOL They must never have had to resize military brass from a MG.

OP, it can be made to work but you need to lose the wheels or set it up so the wheels can be lifted off the floor onto a frame I came close to doing that with the two tool chests I got. Was going to build a frame lag bolted to the floor for the chests to rest on, but decided to make a dedicated bench that was bolted to the wall and keep the chests mobile for supplies.

Here is what I ended up with. I made the bench top and support legs from 2x4's I had laying around. The steel frame racking/bins were from Costco and cost $200 IIRC a few years ago. So less than $250. The only downside is the open bins are not full depth. Limits stacking of stuff in boxes, but it does make it easy to dump brass into the case feeder.

Attachment 305414
    Mine is built using salvaged 2x4s for the legs. The top is built from NEW 2x10s that were purchased for a different project that didn't happen, and 3 tiers of shelves built from salvaged barn boards. The bench is designed like any other work bench. I can sit on a chair and put my legs under it. For what it's worth, my chair is a doctor's exam chair, found on Amazon at a surprisingly low price. It rolls easily to anywhere I need to be.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Mine is built using salvaged 2x4s for the legs. The top is built from NEW 2x10s that were purchased for a different project that didn't happen, and 3 tiers of shelves built from salvaged barn boards. The bench is designed like any other work bench. I can sit on a chair and put my legs under it. For what it's worth, my chair is a doctor's exam chair, found on Amazon at a surprisingly low price. It rolls easily to anywhere I need to be.
    That’s like me ...... if I can not get my legs under it, I am leaning forward. With my bad back, it’s going to be a very short work session if I am leaning forward much.

The rolling chair I do not have yet but my cave has carpet on the floor right now so we will see on that one.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    That’s like me ...... if I can not get my legs under it, I am leaning forward. With my bad back, it’s going to be a very short work session if I am leaning forward much.

The rolling chair I do not have yet but my cave has carpet on the floor right now so we will see on that one.

Best regards

Three44s
    I thought I wanted a regular office chair until I started pricing them, and then I found the doctor's exam chairs on Amazon. Filled the bill quite nicely and comfortable to boot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12