RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished my new bench

Boolit Bub

Just finished my new bench

Here it is, butcher block to wthflush install inline fab dock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220924_181855_copy_1231x1438.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	304908

Boolit Master
    Nice! On wheels too. I have a similar tool chest for molds and dies across from my bench but it has my 10" powered wetstone on it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

That's a beautiful setup! I am too much of an artist to keep anything like that clean for very long.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I'd love to show you mine cause it's great but it would take me a day to clean it up enough to be willing to take a picture of it. Looks great and usable.

Boolit Master
    Where did you get the stool with the back rest and wheels?. Thinking about getting one. Thanks, Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I like it. Especially with all the drawers. Easy open and close drawers is what I’m missing.

Boolit Master

High dollar but definitely top notch.
    I like it.

Boolit Master

Very nice, congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    It looks nice. I have two I use for storage of reloading and casting stuff.

But, IMO, it will fail as a reloading bench if you keep it on wheels. It will need to be bolted to a wall at the very least.

Not being a jerk just a realist. Do not be offended.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

There are brakes available for tool boxes and portable benches, install one under the castor swivel side. when set it lifts them off the floor putting that side on a solid post ( 3 point setting) and really helps with stability.
    The old drawer slides were okay if kept lubed and loads were lighter. The newer ball slides are great and if lubed glide open easily. They have become much more available now.

Im going to set up 2 smaller kennedy boxes as a bench for my bases and top boxes. Im currently thinking a poured concrete top they will be spaced out enough to get room for the 3 tops and bases. Probably 3" thick with wire mesh. Im planning on removing the castors and it being in one location.

My workbench is a butcher block style top from 2 X 4s with 4 2 X 8s meshed in to make stiffening ribs and the leg sockets. Very solid and stable. glued with dowels no nails or screws. Assembled it on 3 of the dowels and used the rest of the dowels holes and 1/2 13 threaded rods to clamp together.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the comments. The whole thing was not that expensive, infact the tool box came off of FB marketplace, and the table I got the top off of came off of Craigslist. As an aside, the legs from that table were used to make a workbench for my 2.5 year old.

The stool came from a home improvement store we have around here called Menard's.

Boolit Grand Master

So where can you find a tool chest on wheels like, without paying an arm and leg for it?

Boolit Master
    go to harbor freight; but remember, you get what you pay for. if without wheels, you can add them

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    go to harbor freight; but remember, you get what you pay for. if without wheels, you can add them
    The HF boxes are really pretty good, I have one in my shop that is filled and used daily and then there is one in my enclosed work trailer that the animals use and it has held up to the abuse of being banged around on bad roads and by a crew that use it but don't own it if you get what I mean. I'd buy another without a second thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    So where can you find a tool chest on wheels like, without paying an arm and leg for it?
    Harbor Freight but shipping might kill the deal.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing we found in the shop was the weak link on a lot of roller chests was the bottom of them. under a full load they would slowly collapse under the wheels when loaded. We would make up an angle iron frame from 1/4/X 2 X 2 angle iron for the box to sit in and the casters were attached to this spreading the load more over the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Harbor Freight but shipping might kill the deal.
    Not only shipping, but customs duty too. Does Harbor Freight have mail order?

Like all reloading benches, it is too small in short ordr. Barns, shops, garages are never big enough in a few years.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I built mine using 2" lumber. It is HEAVY, but it does not move. Does not even wiggle. I can't imagine how it would be with wheels under it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I built mine using 2" lumber. It is HEAVY, but it does not move. Does not even wiggle. I can't imagine how it would be with wheels under it.
    See my post #9. So far the Op has not reported back but I know it will not work as a reloading bench. Let me correct that. It will not work the way I would need it to.

I cannot believe so many folks think this is a good idea. I suppose it beats using a hand press...LOL They must never have had to resize military brass from a MG.

OP, it can be made to work but you need to lose the wheels or set it up so the wheels can be lifted off the floor onto a frame I came close to doing that with the two tool chests I got. Was going to build a frame lag bolted to the floor for the chests to rest on, but decided to make a dedicated bench that was bolted to the wall and keep the chests mobile for supplies.

Here is what I ended up with. I made the bench top and support legs from 2x4's I had laying around. The steel frame racking/bins were from Costco and cost $200 IIRC a few years ago. So less than $250. The only downside is the open bins are not full depth. Limits stacking of stuff in boxes, but it does make it easy to dump brass into the case feeder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reloading Bench.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	305414
    Last edited by dverna; 10-07-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast