Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Help with a Winchester 62

Boolit Master

Help with a Winchester 62

Got a Win 62 recently and had it cleaned by the dealer where I bought it and today while trying to assess the guns bore (fairly diminished rifling) I found it difficult to shoot a group because of excessive force to pull the trigger. As measured the pull is 9.25#. How can I half that number?

It sounds like it needs a little minor gunsmithing, so your best bet would be to determine if the dealer has a gunsmith on call to disassemble the rifle and work on the trigger and/or mainspring - just make sure it's a real gunsmith, and not an AR parts-changer.

If you want to try your hand at polishing the trigger/sear surface (w/o removing material) with a fine India stone (and oil), here's a disassembly guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxSgLh4zZMY

If the smoothing doesn't reduce the trigger pull enough, the mainspring can be altered for a slightly weaker trigger pull.

However, it would be good to remember that those rifles were meant to be inexpensive "boy's guns" and don't have target-grade trigger pulls - they can only be re-worked for a little smoother function.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Thanks Pietro, I'm not sure a boy could even pull this trigger. Something might be broken or it's in need of a different trigger spring.

Boolit Master

There are two different versions of the 62. One has the same workings as the 1890 and 06. On these models there is a leg on the trigger that will not allow it to be puled unless the block is closed all the way and the carrier is moved to the bottom. If there is anything blocking the carrier from moving down the trigger may not be able to move. If the leg on the trigger got bent it will cause problems. These are not the easiest action to take apart and reassemble. If you find a gunsmith to work on it make sure he has done them in the past.

Boolit Master

Thanks John; my 62 is vintage 1937 and has the same workings as the 06. You could well be exactly right as to the stiff trigger pull; thanks again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Thanks John; my 62 is vintage 1937 and has the same workings as the 06. You could well be exactly right as to the stiff trigger pull; thanks again.
    I have several parts for the 06 and 1890.

Boolit Master

I'll let you know if or what I need.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming the gun has a Model 62 lower, which has the original flat mainspring set up,,and not a later model 62A lower which has the coil spring ...

If the rifle was taken apart for cleaning and what ever,,there is a chance the mainspring was removed.
    If the screw that attaches the mainspring to the lower tang is not then screwed down securely to re-attach the mainspring upon reassembly, the mainspring will not bow/arch correctly when the hammer cocks. That will cause a very heavy trigger pull.
    Also,,there is a small mainspring tension screw in the lower tang,,a set screw of sorts that simply puts pressure on the mainspring to bow it out to again put pressure on the spring and bring about proper tension on the mainspring when in use.
    If that tension screw has been backed off or is missing,,the same result will occur in that a very poor trigger pull results as there is improper mainspring tension set up.

Might be the problem,,an easy fix if it is.
    Take the butt stock off and have a look. It's easy to see if the attachment screw is tight.,,and if the tension screw is run in far enough to do it's job. The latter may even be missing.

Boolit Master

Yes, I've checked the flat mainspring and tensioning screw, both are tight. I'm thinking the trigger is the problem. Thanks for your information.

Boolit Buddy
    Sparky,
    You've been given some good advice. I enjoy shooting a couple old 62A's on occasion and the triggers never stood out as being unusually heavy. I strongly suspect something else is wrong with your gun that is affecting the trigger pull. Good luck getting it sorted out.
    Jason