Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Blemished New Pythons?

Blemished New Pythons?

I was looking on GoingBroker for a friend who said he was looking for a new 3" Python and noticed several new model Pythons advertised as Blems. Has anybody seen a blem Python and if so, how bad are the blemish marks? the pics of the guns that were in this condition were not very well done and didn't show a close up of the blem area, purposely I would guess. After such a long time without making them, I am surprised that Colt would let them out of the factory in that condition, especially at the price they cost.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Probably not. If they are blems it probably occurred in the pipeline at the distributor or dealer.

DG

Boolit Master

I agree with DG, I have never known Colt to allow blemished guns of any kind out of the factory and certainly not a Python. james

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a new way to scam you out of your money, reason for the not so clear pictures, don't know, maybe just weary on my part but if it hasn't happened before, why now?
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    The new Pythons are stamped with the Python name but are in no way a Python.

same guts as the trooper, NOT a snake gun but still a good gun

Boolit Buddy
    True except for the original trooper. Now it has the new trooper mk 3 or 4 action and mim parts. I suppose it is ok but NOT a Colt.

Boolit Master
    Pythons will eventually "blemish" themselves. After enough magnum-level rounds through them, they loosen and must be retimed among other things.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I did some research on them when the new ones came out. There was alot of problems with the re released models. I’m guessing these are the defective ones repaired by customer service.

It is on the finish as best as I can tell from the pics. A lot of money to pay for a gun with a boo boo on it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    When I bought my anacondas back in the '90s all I did was take mother's polish and rub them for 5 minutes. They went from a dull satin to a bright shiny Chrome.

Gentlemen, I am a Colt collector and have over 100 and growing. The new python while has less hand fitted parts has some improvements over the original design. The original python action dated to 1908 introduced in the army special. The new top strap is thicker. The double mainspring allows the gun to have a lighter double action trigger pull while insuring ignition with magnum primers.

Yes, some initial pythons had some issues, which were repaired by the factory. In fact the python first demonstrated by Hickok 45 was one.

In the past, a used gun, demo or blem gun that was allowed to be sold ( for often a good discount) had a Z stamp on the gun. I have 2 ( original anaconda and a nickel New Frontier .357). Both guns function perfect. I have yet to find any blem on the stainless anaconda but the nickel on the New frontier has a very small light area where I can almost see the copper plating underneath.

One could ask the seller where a blem is observed, is the packaging marked “used gun”? and finally, does it have. “Z” stamp on it. And one could call Colt and ask if they would honor any mechanical issues with these guns.

I would imagine that the function of these Pythons is satisfactory but the finish issues I have noticed are on the lower part of the frame on the right side just in front of the trigger guard. They are priced in the 1200$ range and to the credit of the sellers, the ones I looked at were advertised as "blemished". None that I saw referred to the "Z" marking but I didn't look at all of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Both of the ones I looked at that were advertised as blems were noted as part number, ZPYTHONSP4WTS. Others, not identified as blems, were marked PYTHONSP4WTS, lacking the "Z" prefix.

Both were 4.25 inch samples.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-26-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I didnt even realize Colt/CZ was making a 3 inch model.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For a thousand dollar gun they are selling quite well around here. My side job shop sold three last weekend and could have sold more than that if we could get them in stock. Hey Ruger! If you make more wheelguns people will buy them!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bought a 3 inch a few months ago. The action is smooth, but single action trigger pull is very heavy compared to an original. I'm happy with it.

I saw lots of videos of dented crowns, and functioning problems when the first reintroduced them

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC