Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 38-55 Hi-Vel. Load

Boolit Buddy
    I am not sure what you are asking for? SAAMI max pressure for 38-55 is 30,000 CUP (page 21 in attached PDF or 33 using the PDF software numbers).
    https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

All the loads listed on Hogdgon's website are 28,200 CUP or below. 30,000 CUP isn't "Ruger only loads", they are standard pressure loads. I ass-u-me that any other published loads would be below the 30,000 CUP level unless designated otherwise.

That said Buffalo Bore's ammo seems to be loaded to 38,000 CUP because "30-30 is loaded to 38,500 CUP".( 38,000 cup according to the attached PDF, 32 special as well, pages 29 and 31 in PDF) I guess since the 30-30 is a necked down 38-55 and chambered in the same rifles one could follow that logic, if they wanted to take that risk.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=159

Quote from Buffalo Bore:
    "Our 38-55 ammo is designed to work in all 38-55 chambered firearms made with modern metallurgy for smokeless powder. It operates at 38,000 CUP—the 30-30 Winchester operates at an average max. pressure of 38,500 CUP. For those who are not aware, the 30-30 case is simply a necked down 38-55 casing."
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, I reread your post and realized you were not asking how to avoid "Ruger only loads" you were trying to find them.

I will see my self out.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    I figured if Buffalo Bore & their attorneys feel safe with the higher pressures after many rounds being tested, Then the newer weapons built to these same standards would be safe. -06

Boolit Master
    Well I've found that about all fairly current loads were tested with 24-30 inch barrels. Mine are 20" so I've settled on a 1650 fps load for now through this hunting season.

Boolit Buddy

seems like many are shooting unique and 2400 in the 38-55, getting 1100-1200 FPS or better and making hits at longer range too.
    38-55 does indeed seem to be a goldilocks caliber.
    just need to find some more brass

Boolit Master
    Maine1; I have been able to get brass for both 375 Win & 38-55 from Starline Brass. It may say back- order but put your order in & it shouldn't be long to wait. My longest wait was about 3 weeks.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

As mentioned above - I think - you can make cases by fire-forming .30-30 brass. A tightly twisted wad of TP stuck in the neck over a load of a faster powder like Unique will blow out the case close enough to be usable. You’ll have to square off the mouth and play with the charge to get good fill-out and the cases will be a bit short, but it does work. Many years ago when .38-55 brass was extremely hard to come by, I made dozens of cases this way. Not ideal, but another option to get the rifle shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    PositiveCaster

Sure is easy to make .38-55 brass. Just made a couple hundred. Time consuming, but if you need it you need it. ! Anneal ! your .30-30 brass first. I used 9.5 grains of Unique, packed 1/4 sheet of toilet paper, back filled with cream of wheat, covered w/ 1/4 sheet of TP, packed tight. Point straight up in the air and fire. All safety measures required as you are, after all, firing a gun. A few culls may occur - just toss them.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Hello There!
    I finally found someone who has another of the 281 of these Ruger made. Mine has only been fired about 10 rounds. I used 31 grains of 3031 with the Speer 235 grain bullet. Going to work with it and cast soon.
    Enjoying the thread, and as others state, the 38-55 in factory guise is hard to beat!
    Rick
    I too have one of the Ruger No. 1's in 38-55. I love it.
    I shoot 29 grains of IMR-3031 with a 268 grain cast lead RNFP-GC. It will put 5 shots touching at 50 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    It would be nice if I could measure the pressure on my own loads. But what would that cost?
    About 800 dollars

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/mm5...tegory_Code=PT

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good Information. Thanks! -06

You can make 38-55 brass from 375 Win brass. You can not make proper 38-55 brass from the 30-30 brass, it is considerably too short when altered.

I have discussed their brass directly with the owner of Starline, They make one brass formula and one brass formula only, capable of 65K. They do not make low pressure brass for low pressure guns. To do so would not make economic sense to them.
    So as an example, their 225 Win Mag brass is not necessary, for pressures, to make the JDJ cases, or Merrill cases either, you can use whatever rimmed case that meets size dimensions necessary for sizing, fire forming and trimming to correct length
    Just because you do so, shoot short brass, does not make it correct. I get these guns in frequently to "fix" when they stop chambering factory rounds or the ammunition they were given when they bought the gun no longer functions in the gun.
    I just bought a gun real cheap, as a direct result of shooting .030 miss cut brass, too short.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    From my Henry 38-55, 20 inch, Starline short brass, Lee mold dropped 262grs (approx. 14 hardness), powder coated and sized to .379..... with Reloader 7 they reach 1825 fps, could go a bit faster, maybe into the 1900s, but the case life at 1800 is more reasonable. Into water jugs or wet paper @ 50 yard, the mushroom is what you would expect from say a 35 cal corelokt or Interlock! only shot a couple deer with that particular round, exit hole about the size of a quarter and the projectile still going.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of those 38-55 Henry's in brass & would have preferred the steel (Brass too glossy in the woods) But brass was the only thing available. & I appreciate the load info. I use the same LEE boolit but mine fall out at 251-252 gr. Shoots good though, I like my Henry & if I get a 45 Colt it will prob. be a Henry.

Boolit Master
    Never thought the .38-55 needed higher velocity. Have a Highwall with 28" barrel, shoot 300 gr 30:1 alloy with BP. It will put 10 in a 6" group offhand at 100 yards. It's fair to say that stuff shot with that load doesn't go far. Have not run the load over a chronograph but guess it's around 1,200 fps +/-.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

I think what you are looking for would be fine in a strong action. I can get there, but I shoot mine in a 375 Winchester Xtr.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I have an 375 XTR also & it is extremely accurate for a lever gun. But then again with hand loads in the 38 cal. range I have grown to expect good accuracy. Along with the Henry I also have a 94ae that JES re-bored to 38-55 & another real shooter. I've got a load using IMR SR 4759 I got out of an old manual that I have +p'd that gets me 1650 fps'ish with good accuracy. & the 375 XTR using AA-2015 & WC-846. But I've not yet reached a good pressure in the 38-55 at 1800-1850 fps.

Boolit Master
    P.S. may have to find some Reloader-7

Boolit Master

I think 20 fps might be an error or oversight in chrony placement, like your OP says " 20' " , really? a 20 foot barrel? In any case, I would not get excited about 20 fps.

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    Or they are actually using the 375 winchester case which is same dimensions other than yes its a tad shorter but case walls at critical areas are thicker to withstand higher pressure a 38-55 case cant.
    Ok heres the clarification read it twice - Dont get into an oopsy here with this info.
    True a 375 case is shorter than a 38-55 and will chamber in a 38-55 but if running the hotter loads in a 375 case in a 38-55 win chamber then bear in mind that the gun needs to be something like a single shot H&R/NEF Handi Rifle or Ruger #1 or #3 rifle thats considered a high wall for these hotter loads.
    Think browning makes a drop block single shot too just cant recall the model number now.
    Lets just for the sake of an example use the terms low load as in trapdoor and med load as in lever actions and high power loads as in hi wall bbls.
    You can load to any of these in a normal 375 win case but need to evaluate your guns chamber strength as to type of action and whether its a single shot or a lever action that may not take the hi pressures under fire that might damage internal parts ect.
    So what is a hi pressure hi wall load when it comes to a 38-55 you might wonder.
    Well lets call a hi pressure load for a 38-55 winchester the 375 winchester case loaded to max speed in this explanation being shot in a 38-55 win guns chamber.
    You wont to my knowledge find trap door / lever action / Hi Wall Ruger type info listed as 38-55 win or the 375 win in your books but will see that listed as such for the 45-70 govt cartridge as an example.
    DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOU CAN USE 45-70 GOVT LOAD INFO IN THE 38-55 WIN OR THE 375 WIN= JUST AN EXAMPLE.
    I personally since i own a 38-55 win in a single shot handi rifle do shoot the 375 win case at higher pressures since its a hi wall type pressure gun - but thats my gun be sure to evaluate your guns type and pressure ability first before doing this.
    I probably left out a answer to a question or two and if you have questions feel free to ask ill give you my opinion or answer and state if its gospel or my opinion and if its my practice but you in the end make your own decision as to if it applies to your wants and safety.
    Head Shot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast