WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 or similar for cast boolit shooter...?

Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 or similar for cast boolit shooter...?

After purchasing a beautiful CZ 527 in .223 Rem, I was set to pickup it's brother cambered in Soviet 7.62x39mm. But to my dismay CZ decided to end production on their 527 centerfire line. Not sure when CZ will release their new 600 series after hearing they had some major design defect issue. So, Ruger's American Ranch in 7.62x39 looks like the next best choice.

This new purchase would be for plinking and mostly cast boolit shooting. I've acquired Lee dies, brass and a couple of moulds for my Russian SKS to experiment but haven't gotten around to it. (Don't feel like losing my brass.) Probably have to get a new mould since it looks like Ruger's bore diameter is closer to .308 than my sized .313 boolits for the SKS bore.

As of September 24th, 2022 finding used CZ's 527 in 7.62x39 is extremely rare or extremely expensive. Affordable Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 is nowhere to be found as well. As I patiently wait to track down either one of these rifles, I wonder if there are any other rifles or caliber that I should consider for my use?

Have and love pistol carbine rifles and leverguns but looking at other rifle calibers that I should consider besides 7.62x39?
    Thanks.

It sounds to me like you're already on the right track with 7.62x39mm. Great plinking round. Ruger rifles have a good reputation for strength, durability, and accuracy, and the commonality of cartridge with your SKS is a big plus. SKS rifles are very good, and I own several. I've found Lee's mould to work well for the 7.62mm rifles.

You could also pursue the .223/5.56mm idea a bit further. My combination for that caliber is a Ruger Mini-14 and a Savage 111. Back when, I was able to get a Zastava Mini-Mauser in .223 Rem., another great gun, but harder to find now days. I am answering your question based on what seems the most practical. However, if you want to consider any pistol/carbine combinations there are many to choose from-- .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .357 Mag., .44-40 WCF, and several more.

DG

Boolit Master

Have you thought about the .300 Blackout (.30/221 Rem)? Ruger lists a Ranch Rifle for that caliber.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Many advantages to the RAR x39 IMO. Cheap plinking with surplus and sub-MOA with PPU (meant to say Hornady Black SST, PPU is good also)from a relatively inexpensive but good rifle where it counts courtesy of the CHF barrel.

PS: I love all things CZ but for the money, Ruger is hard to beat.
    Last edited by wreckster; 09-25-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    You might look into Howa and Zastava bolt action rifles in 7.62x39.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my little Howa mini-Mauser. But it is in .223. Looked at getting one in 7.62x39, but ended up with a TC Compass in .308 instead. If I want to plink with cast bullets in the .308 I can. The .308 can do what the 7.62x39 cannot do.

IMO the .300 BO in a bolt action is a solution for looking for a problem if you are reloader and caster.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Ruger makes a model 77 bolt action in 7.62x39
    Great rifle. My daughter gets a deer with it every year.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 last February. It shoots 155gr cast very nicely at 1850fps. You can match the russians ammo for velocity with CFE Black and 123fmj. It's about the roughest feeding rifle I've ever owned, and Ruger 10 round mags stink. The 5 round mags work ok, and drop free.

Boolit Master

I was fortunate to pick up a CZ back when they still made them. It is a great shooter of both cast and jacketed. I really like the 7.62x39 for shooting cast and also picked up the Ruger when they came out. It also shoots both types of bullets great.

My two favorite cast bullets for the 7.62x39 are the NOE 314-135-SP-M1 and the NOE 150 gr. Ranch Dog design. The 135 is a nice pointed bullet that shoots great and the 150 RD is a heavier bullet that hits hard. These are my main two bullets and I shoot them in my bolt guns and my Yugo SKS. I started out shooting the Lee 155 bullet in my 7.62x39's but have evolved to the lighter NOE and the heavier FP design.

In the pic below L to R:

NOE 135 gr. gas check seated not PC'd yet
    Lee 155 gr. GC'd and PC'd
    NOE 150 gr. RD GC'd and PC'd
    NOE 135 gr. loaded
    NOE 150 gr. loaded

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	762x39 cast.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	305209

Boolit Buddy
    The Ranch in x39 is a great rifle! I really enjoy mine. It's handy and accurate.

The 300BO would be relatively similar all things considered, but personally, I prefer x39 so I went that route. I have AKs and SKSs, though, so I already stock x39. Problem is that sources of cheap x39 ammo are drying up. 300BO is going to be easier to source in the future. It's NBD for this crowd, though, except 300BO brass and bullets are a simpler proposition.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you can find one, get it and shoot the hell out of it.

I've shot x39 once, some Ru's at the range had one. Much more recoil than BO as I got the eye ding and the scope fell off. It's a bit better performance than BO closer to 30 Hamr. I like the BO, works fine for cast plinking or hog hunting. Would work fine for deer too, just never tried it. x39 is pretty good to 200, BO I limit to 150 due to energy, not drop.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got 2 of those RAR in 7.62x39. I have one set up for hunting and one set up for long range, using wolf polyformance ammo fmj it holds 1MOA to 400 yards

I have killed a lot of deer with the Ruger x39

Good morning! I was looking for a Ruger Ranch in 762x39, but could not find one without having to pay through the nose. I would say I settled, but I don't think I "settled" on a DPMS DR10 Oracle. What I was really looking for was a 30 cal carbine/rifle that I could "truck" if I need to. The x51 does all the x39 does and more, so...

Now I just need to figure what sights I want and shoot it!
    Semper Fidelis!
    Mike aka W3TWG
    Veteran, Traveler

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
    ...As of September 24th, 2022 finding used CZ's 527 in 7.62x39 is extremely rare or extremely expensive. Affordable Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 is nowhere to be found as well. As I patiently wait to track down either one of these rifles, I wonder if there are any other rifles or caliber that I should consider for my use?

Have and love pistol carbine rifles and leverguns but looking at other rifle calibers that I should consider besides 7.62x39?
    Thanks.
    All depends on what you want this rifle for? Cheap ammo, 7.62x39 was hard to beat. Maybe not so much anymore?

Low recoil and heavier bullet (than the .223)? Many choices out there. Again, what do you want it for?

I have only had an AK in 7.62x39 but was not impressed with the cartridge. I do like it better than the .223 for an assault rifle. Maybe good for med to small game. A walking around rifle. Lots of choices of cartridge, but, ammo probably not as cheap. .308Win would be the next step up, but, that's a 'big' step in capability, cost and recoil. I shoot a LOT of cast bullets in my .308, from subsonic to 210gn at 2200fps (normally 1850fps is a sweet spot). Find one of the shorter barrel models and they make a handy rig.

If something other than .30cal is OK, then a 6, 6.5 or 7mm would all be doable. If reloading then it boils down to what rifles are available. Keep in mind that just about any of them can be downloaded with cast bullets. Even the 6.5CM can be a decent cast bullet rifle.

I'd look for a rifle platform I like and then pick one of the cartridges that it is available for it.

Mike, my DPMS Panther shot great but eventually went to GK as it's too heavy for me anymore.
    Get a decent scope and have fun.
    Whatever!

If you can find an older Ruger Mini 30, they had a 308 barrel with 1-10 twist. Makes a good 30-39 cast bullet shooter. If I find 7.62x39 AR barrel in .308 with a 1-10 twist, I buy the barrel.
    All of the old die sets came with a .308 sizer ball for the Rugers.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If you can't find a x39 Ruger RAR, look for the 300 Blackout model. I love my Ruger Ranch in 300 blackout. It is a great cast bullet shooter.

I bought it when they first came out, with the rotary magazine that sits flush in the stock. So it carries well too.

Boolit Buddy
    Another plug for the CZ- It was the first rifle from CZ I had bought. Shot very well, the backup sights were right on in the event I wanted to shoot it without a scope. The problem came in the range for deer hunting and general pest control. I found it a bit light for deer at the ranges we sometimes have to shoot, and a bit overkill (if that's a thing anymore!) on pest eradication. They are rough as can be when brand new- and need some breaking in. Once broke in though..... wow! When the opportunity came to trade it for a Sako in 358win, I didn't have many second thoughts as it hadn't been shot in better than a year. Low price point=Ruger. Wood stock and backup sights, albeit higher priced= CZ. Hold out for a used one, you won't be sorry.
    My own .02-your experiences may not mirror my own.
    Zingger

I would love to find a Enfield in 7.62x39.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.