RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: using large rifle match over standard large rifle primers

Boolit Mold

using large rifle match over standard large rifle primers

I purchased these because they became available and my intended use is for the SW 500 revolver.
    I am not happy about the price I paid but that is where we are at presently.
    My question is should these perform consistently as standard LRPs do.

Thank You

Boolit Buddy
    I've been working with a thousand Federal Match LRPs that I bought because normal ones weren't available, just like you. I've never had a failure to fire. My understanding is they should have the same characteristics as normal LRPs, just with higher quality control for greater consistency round to round.

There are some steps in making primers that still has to be done by hand.
    Rumor has it that the match primers are the same, but made/put together by the more senior people at the ammo plant.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Consistency is the goal in match ammo. After all, matches are won by accurate ammo. If anything, match primers are of higher quality than standard.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Fwiw, a friend had a Hornady match round FTF. I dismantled and found a primer cup with no anvil in it. I'm sure it was probably a match primer made by some domestic maker. This is supposed to be the type thing that match primers are supposed to avoid. In my opinion it could just as easily be avoided by a careful handloader using standard primers.

Boolit Master
    I doubt any maker produces match primers that are less consistent than common primers.

Boolit Master

They're going to be just as good, almost certainly better, than standard.

Boolit Master

Beware that large rifle primers are just a little taller than large pistol primers. .127 vs .120. So if you try to use large rifle primers in pistol brass, the primer is going to stick out just enough to keep the cylinder from closing. And if you manage to force it closed, it's not going to turn.

Boolit Master
    I can't tell any difference between Federal 210 and Federal 210 Match, but before the shortages, I didn't mind spending just a little more to get the Match version. I've not tried the Federal 215 Magnum but have been pleased with the 215 Magnum Match. Realistically, I doubt there's any difference between the two. I haven't bought primers since before the shortages and am not up on prices, but I'd buy whatever I could find at the best price, standard or match, without regret.

Boolit Master
    I do notice the difference, especially at longer ranges, with Federal, CCI and Remington std vs match primers. It is not a lot, ~1/4 MOA difference.

But, I have also found that Winchester primers are frequently as good as either of the match primers. Winchester primers run a bit hotter than the others as well, 25-50fps difference. I understand they do that to get reliable ignition of the Win ball powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Primers are just one of the many variables that make up a good load for a particular cartridge/firearm combo. The combo likes what it likes.

Boolit Master
    I tried every flavor of primer on the market that I could lay my hands on. Was told when they ran out of match primers, they would just pull regular primers and put in match boxes. So cost more. As far as performance, the only difference I found in the load ( primers ) I was testing, same gun, same powder, same powder charge, same bullet, same lube, same lot of brass, was Federal and CCI, gave about 100 fps more with just changing the primer, nothing else. All the others were all about the same, maybe a foot or so different in fps. I now use, only mag primers, in all my loadings, I just use a coronagraph to keep all loads where I know the accuracy is.