Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best 303 brit based wildcat in no1 mk3 for cb hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 305003The cartridge that MostlyLeverGuns, suggested is a good one . I have a single shot chambered in rimmed 35 Rem. and this picture is of a 303 British case run thru a 35 Rem. sizing die and a 35 cal. boolit seated in it. If it was fire formed it would look better but it gives you the idea of what the cartridge looks like.
    It would be great with heavyweight plain based boolits.

Jedman
    So Jedman, are you saying one can create a 35 Rem rimmed with 303 Brit cases? That would mean one could fit a 35 Rem barrel onto a Lee Enfield action. You know, my late father used to hunt Cape Buffalo with a 35 Remington. He did do heart shots though.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Yes it has been done for a long time as well as 30-40 Krag but that brass now quite a bit more valuable and harder to find. I have a Henry single shot that was a 357 magnum that has been rechambered to 35 Remington with a rim cut and the extractor works equally well with the rimmed cases or the original rimless brass.
    I don’t know if a rimmed 35 Remington at standard length would feed well from the Enfield magazine or not ?
    I think the full length long necked version would or would with very little work.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    So Jedman, are you saying one can create a 35 Rem rimmed with 303 Brit cases? That would mean one could fit a 35 Rem barrel onto a Lee Enfield action. You know, my late father used to hunt Cape Buffalo with a 35 Remington. He did do heart shots though.
    That 303 cased 35 rem looks like a winner. Especially with the long neck. But I’m sure there’s some feeding issues to be had .

I’m glad 303 guy chimed in ! I’ve been reading many of his threads over the years regarding the 303 & Lee Enfields. I chatted to him years ago about the 416 strause & 35 / 303 from invercargle under a older different name. I went 454 casull & that is my go to hunter, however I’m still very fond of the 303 & cast in both .454 & 303 will be my main staple diet from now on.

If you can get 35-303 dies and the barrel maker say that would be the best choice for his barrels and he does the fitting, I would be getting my 200 grain mould ordered. Saeco now makes the old plain base RCBS 200g bullet in a cast iron mould, that do great when powder coated nose down, with no GC.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

With .303 bore and .310 groove, getting ready to try out 215 grainers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    With .303 bore and .310 groove, getting ready to try out 215 grainers.
    Wow they look like the business!
    Single feed but ouchy. Will be following your results for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Aussie View Post
    Wow they look like the business!
    Single feed but ouchy. Will be following your results for sure.
    Those 215 grainers cycle from the magazine and chamber with a small hicky on the front "corner" of the nose.
    That bore rider .303 front end with sides like a grain silo on a dairy farm was designed to lessen resistance and hold lube while it engraves into the rifling. It works. Hopefully accuracy works too!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Those 215 grainers cycle from the magazine and chamber with a small hicky on the front "corner" of the nose.
    That bore rider .303 front end with sides like a grain silo on a dairy farm was designed to lessen resistance and hold lube while it engraves into the rifling. It works. Hopefully accuracy works too!
    Extremely interesting. Does that feed from a unaltered Lee Enfield? Mate who’s moulds are they ? I’m very much liking what I’m seeing so far.

Boolit Bub

A few pics of expanded necks .

Today I sized up the necks of a few cases I had laying around. I believe they were ether old new brass or resized ( because one has it’s shoulders blown forwards ). I don’t know if that was a range pickup or one of my fired cases , but the shoulder is significantly moved forward. I also got some jb bore paste yesterday, & got 10 kg of “ bullet metal “ lead yesterday. I think I’ll get another 5kg next week & some Linotype metal also. I do believe the metal I cast on the weekend had some Lino in it as well as added tin & a shot shell worth of shot . A full mongrel mix .
    I’ll get myself a .408 or .416 mandrel next week just for ships & giggles!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41CBF742-C28B-441E-927F-CC6D9239B286.jpg   1CF894D4-FA6C-47CF-AE76-27D8134DD9A3.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    I have SMLE, No1 Mk3* that probably needs a new barrel, trying to keep it in the original configuration. Does anyone know of a source for a barrel for this old (1941) war horse? I really like the action, and rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Aussie View Post
    Extremely interesting. Does that feed from a unaltered Lee Enfield? Mate who’s moulds are they ? I’m very much liking what I’m seeing so far.
    It's in a Yugo '48 that got refurbished in the 80's or so to 7.62x51 except with a .303 bore / .310 groove barrel.
    Here's the mold. Mine is falling out at 215 grains. Perhaps I should cast some with straight lead for a weight comparison but I really didn't think I added that much #2 babbitt to the mix!
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=31-246J

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123