Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubba's Truck Gun

Bubba's Truck Gun

This is my always in the truck, ready for anything, any season of the year gun. As you can see, an unfinished work in progress. Took a 2 or 3 mile hike in the woods today, got my todays limit (3/day) of mountain grouse. Two Fool Hens and a Blue. Beautiful fall day, the Creation was wet from yesterdays rain. Easy, quite, cool walk. Life is good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0923221013_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	304876

Boolit Master

Sounds like you had a good day!

Boolit Master

You know, not a truck gun but I had a bubba'd 12 guage single barrel 12 guage when I was in junior high school. Barrel had been cropped to barely legal length. Had a piece of parachute cord as a sling. My dad would bring home 12 guage buckshot from the prison where he worked when they got ragged and switched them out so I always had 00 and #4 Buck as well as shot loads. In the summer, this was my carry gun on fishing and woods rambling trips. Great on snakes and turtles. Once a friend I encountered a pack of feral dogs around the city dump that acted like we were in their teriitory. One stayed behind and the remainder left on afteburner. That was a handly little gun and I think I sold it for $10. Everyone needs a "truck" gun./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I haven't been without at least one truck gun since before I got my first truck! This one was my first.
    I like yours, is that a Poly choke on the muzzle? If it's a 12 gauge- ouch!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I whomped up mine about 8 years ago. Barrel is legal - 18 1/4". Spent about $6 for a side saddle shell holder. Reckon you'd call it a cylinder choke.

Name:	Truck gun.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	304882
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I haven't been without at least one truck gun since before I got my first truck! This one was my first.
    I like yours, is that a Poly choke on the muzzle? If it's a 12 gauge- ouch![IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
    Not a Poly Choke (we used to call them a "Dial-A-Duck"). I got a solder on Win Choke adapter from Brownells, then made a ramp and ring soldered on over that and the choke tube is one of those extended Turkey chokes.
    Here is maybe a better picture

Name:	0924221120.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	304903
    Some of the shells I carry on the console, (Cherokee Jeep) right to left; Shorty slug (Deer), .410/Little Skeeter adapter (grouse), Wally World cheap #7.5 (grouse), Win. 2.75" #4 lead (Turkeys), 3" #4 steel (duck).
    The rib/weaver base is for if my eyes get any worse.
    There will be a set old style Winchester sling studs added and a recoil pad. It is no fun to shoot at inanimate objects.
    Way down the road; Some sort of patchbox like the old muzzleloaders for storing choke tubes, minature flashlite, small pocket knife, matches & candle.

Here is a scabbard & bandolier set up, I got the pieces off ebay.

Name:	0924221127_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	304904

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Here is a scabbard & bandolier set up, I got the pieces off ebay.

Name:	0924221127_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	304904
    I'm liking that, thanks for the idea!

Boolit Master
    Something to consider for those who live in northern states, you leave your gun in your truck and it's cold out. You turn the heater on and the cold metal starts sweating. Eventually, rust is going to form. When I started driving, I was carrying a small toolbox in my car. One day I noticed all my tools were starting to rust. Then I figured out why.

Boolit Buddy
    My truck gun is a folding Yiltz 410 with the barrel cut to 19". Academy Sports sells them. Very light weight. It is stored behind my pickup's seats in the cut off leg of a pair of pants.

Killed many a water moccasin with it.

What brand is your custom gun, kootne? At first I thought Savage 94?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What brand is your custom gun, kootne? At first I thought Savage 94?
    Winchester 37A

Boolit Master
    I have a single shot Stevens 12 gauge that was dad's, but I am reluctant to alter it in any way. Not so with my version of a truck gun. it's a Turk Mauser with a Montana Rifleman barrel in 30-06 with 6 power Leupold and a green Houge over molded stock. it is in a heavy soft case with almost 100 rounds of my hand loads. imwork sometimes for a rancher nad had big hopes of being over run by hogs and making a last ditch shoot out. But truth is I've not seen one since I built the rifle.

Boolit Master
    This is the shotgun forum DUH!!!! sorry

Boolit Master
    fit a slip on recoil pad and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use ear protection..those short shotties are a power of fun but they are terrible on hearing and the damage doesnt go away,they are great for developing a flinch too...its the noise your body is reacting too.
    you CAN beat a jug choke back in if you are carefull... did mine on LPG gas ring with ball pien hammer ,pretty hard to get it much more than 1/4" long and even,but if you started out 2" longer than wanted to end up,you have room to try again a couple of times if not happy with result.

Moderator Emeritus

I soooo envy all of you who are able to (legally) have a "truck gun". Yup -- I have a truck -- and in the good old days, years back, I had a truck gun. HOWEVER -- now, in New York State one (I believe) must have any firearm in a CASE with ammo in another locked case -- the two separate and apart.
    "A hundred years ago" (wink wink) I knew a few fellows who would go "hoggin'" -- One would drive with .22 carrying passenger -- with barrel out the window -- seek a groundhog. After a shot, they'd stop to inspect, and rotate -- e.g., the driver would now become the passenger/shooter. Et cetera, et cetera, etc. TONS of fun, a very slight reduction in the groundhog population, and no harm/foul by having the rifle in the truck.
    Those days are gone.............................................. ...
    Again, I envy those of you who still have the freedom to actually just have a firearm in your vehicle!
    geo

Boolit Master

I feel bad for the normal folks in upstate /western NY as you are owned by the 7 boroughs around NYC. You need to be your own state.

My current truck gun(s) are a .410 folding single shotgun, a .218 Bee single shot with scope, and a Rossi .38 snub nose. Subject to change but there's always at least one in there...

I don't have any longguns that I think so little of that I would just carry around and leave in my vehicle. My edc is with me except when I have to leave it in the underseat safe in my Tj. Maybe if I installed a sg rack like a patrol car has. I would use this old M1912 cut up 20 ga. It’s cut down and has a sling on it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 57AABD8A-D523-4E5E-A278-79794BA002B2.jpeg  

Boolit Master
    How about let's say great minds think alike. I also have a Win 37A 12 (among his seven 12, 20, 410 brothers) with an 18 1/2" barrel, two poly chokes and a solder sleeve for a full compliment of chokes and have never decided on which way to go. Chokes and tool in kit bag for carry or dial a pattern, should get to that some day.

Here's my Truck Gun. It's a Montgomery Wards Mossberg 500, called the "MonkeyBerg!" Go find the Thread,,, "What I did to my Shotguns" and there's a complete write up on it and several others as well.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2173.JPG   IMG_2159 (2).JPG   IMG_2154 (2).JPG   IMG_2202.jpg   IMG_2172 (2).jpg  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast