Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench belt sander grit

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, looks like the 80 grit or so will be the default for now. This fill the gap between my bench grinder and hand sanders and give me somewhere to do non-ferrous metal stuff as well.

Yes, I am aware if the wide world of abrasives and when to use what for my various hand, palm, 1/3 sheet and belt sanders all of which already have various grits and grades on hand for tasks ranging from woodworking to metalwork. As time goes by I will of course expand the belt selection based on the task but 99% of the time this will likely be in the corner collecting dust, but available for use.

For years my go to has been a craftsman 3x18(ish?) hand held belt sander upside down with the trigger locked on. I had to chase that sucker around the workbench despite being on a rubber mat until the belt tracking adjuster broke, so this is definitely an improvement.

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on the project I change belts just about every job I run from 80 grit to 320 same with my knife grinder. It will come with experience but I would start with 80 120 220 and go from there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    OK, the second thing. On the disc sander that's on some belt sanders. The sticky backing on the sanding disc doesn't always stick to the metal disc, especially if the metal disc is cold. The sanding disc will adhere to the metal disc just good enough for it to come up to speed, and then when you start sanding on it it will come off and fly across the shop like an abrasive frisbie. The trick I've learned to prevent this is to heat up the metal disc with a propane torch until it is just a little too hot to touch. Then stick on the sanding disc and (using some leather gloves) make sure that it's pressed on all the way around. Once the disc has cooled it's ready for months of trouble free use.
    I've had this problem and never thought to heatthe disc....thanks!

Moderator Emeritus

I, too, am most appreciative to hear and learn of the heat application trick! Thank you! I might add, too, the necessity (imho) of buying/having the rubber belt cleaner at hand. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powertec.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	305092 For less than ten U S dollars you may purchase a set of two -- trust me, a MANY year supply -- from Amazon. I do not consider the belts as inexpensive -- my unit takes 6" x 48" belts -- and the rubber belt cleaners at the least triple their usable life!
    geo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12