WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Im back.

Im back.

I used to hang out here around 2008 and learned a lot. But my hobby's change and I ended up doing a lot of sporting clays with my wife. We got better, next thing you know we are shooting around 150-200 rounds each per week (of course different gauges). We bought better guns, than bought even better guns, still spend way too much money on that hobby.

Around 2018 we moved 1000 miles south to new home, not ready to retire yet but getting close. In the move (downsize) I had to sell probably 600 lbs of wheel weight mix to scrap dealer (but still brought 400 lbs with me). I packed up all my reloading/casting stuff and brought it with me but have not been shooting anything but shotgun.
    Even the shotgun reloading stuff sits as its hard to find primers.

I have needed a new hobby since moving to Florida, something that I can do at night to relax, etc.
    The other day I bought a SW1911 E (because I have always wanted a 1911). Last night I was thinking about shooting this new gun this weekend and a light went off "Cast boolits in a 1911" .
    I think I just figured out what my new hobby is. (I still have pistol primers left to last a while so we are set, and It looks like the powder I use in the other 45 will cross over to 45acp)
    I still have my 45 Colt wheel guns and my reloaded supply is getting low for them as well so I guess I better get busy.

Boolit Master

Good to have you back!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back. Need to change your location to Florida. Enjoy.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome back!

Boolit Master
    You sold WW alloy to a SCRAP DEALER ?? I would have thought a S&S ad would have had a path to your door for those wanting that alloy. Sorry that it went to a scrap dealer instead of a hungry member of the Forum. Well, we all make mistakes at times.

Banner Sponsor

Welcome back
    My favorite 45acp powder is 700X.
    We need pics of your new 1911.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like you, for over 10 years, I "left the building" and got deeply into shotguns. Mine was Trap.
    Don Verna

Welcome home, compass will! I've got 2 SW1911s, but am unfamiliar with the "E" version. Mine are both stainless and a joy to shoot. The traditional S&W quality is evident. Traditional loads using 225 gr. CLRN bullets over Bullseye or Unique work very well in them.

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM004758.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	304779

Boolit Master

You will enjoy the 1911, welcome back.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I see Winchester 572 has loads for cast 45acp and I use a lot of that powder as it is my choice for 20G. Last fall I personally switched from 12G Betetta A300 to a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Edchen Signature gun with both 20g and 28g barrels. Now I only have to reload one Gauge, but man I love that 28G and I bet someday I will buy a loader for it.

anyway, back to Cast. I am researching now. I am a fan of lee molds so of course I am attracted to the 452-230-2R, but I am reading if that should be my first one for this calaper.
    All I need is mold, brass and dies and I am ready to go. I already have the seizing dies.
    Just looking to shoot holes in paper at range, plinking. I am only guessing 230 grain mold is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee TL 230 RN and the Lee 200 SWC. For poking holes in paper, I recommend the 200 SWC. I found going "the easy way" seems to work just fine. I just cast them, tumble lube them (no up front inspection or sizing) and then glance at them when assembling ammo.

You may find 45 ACP to have an advantage. You can get brass with small or large primers. At this point, small is easier to buy out on the net. Around $0.084 each delivered. https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

You seem to have adequate powder, but if you want some bulk powder at a good price, you might want to start watching https://americanreloading.com/264-mi...&orderway=desc They had some recently with a load for 45 ACP.
    Last edited by P Flados; 09-22-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Promo powder and a 200gr SWC is all I shoot in my 1911. Alloy is 50/50 + 1% tin and LsStuff Carnuba Red for lube. Sized to .452. No need to mess with what works.

Boolit Master

You should be able to find a .45 bullet that works well in ALL of you .45s. Plus you can get a shot maker and cut your shotgun reloading costs nearly in half. And if you use red dot/promo or Unique powder, one powder will do everything you want for all of the .45s and the shotguns! I should know. I shoot cast on all of my rifles and pistols and I'm a skeet shooter too and make my own shot. I think I'm economical, but some folks just call me a cheapskate!

Welcome back, CW. Cast in a 45 ACP shoots like a dream. I have a Star PD (commander size, but looks like a gummint model.) Due to the alloy frame, I use target loads all the time. My Lyman one-hole 452460 produces 200 gr boolits that work extremely well over 4.5 gr promo.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I just tested the melting pot for the first time in maybe 10 years. Works perfect.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Welcome home, compass will! I've got 2 SW1911s, but am unfamiliar with the "E" version. Mine are both stainless and a joy to shoot.

DG
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108482_01_lg_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	304926

For cast loads in the 45 ACP I have had good luck with an old single cavity Lee 452-190 SWC mold. Lee no longer offers this shape nor single cavity molds, but their 200 grain SWC is close. This will save you a bit of lead over the 230 grain bullets. Your paper targets will never know the difference.