Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best thermometer for powder coating oven

Boolit Buddy

Best thermometer for powder coating oven

I recently picked up a used convection oven for powder coating. What is everyone using ( if at all) for and oven thermometer? Been on Amazon.ca ( I'm from Canada ) and there seems to be some mixed reviews on certain thermometers. I did my 1st batch of 230 gr .45acp boolits in it tonight with the dial at around 450 for 25 mins and the batch passed the hammer test. I tried just sticking the probe from my Lyman temp gauge just in the door but figured I'd be loosing too much heat with the door cracked to accommodate the probe so I just trusted the temperature of the oven. I like to get an oven thermometer to put inside while baking just so I know what the temp is.
    If using a PID ( the one I use for casting ) would drilling a hole in the top of the oven be the best way to insert the temp probe and would in be accurate considering the probe is supposed to sit in the melted lead to get a proper reading?

I drilled a hole through the opposite end of my oven from all the controls for my PID probe to just be below the wire rack on which the boolit tray sits. I drilled through the outer metal shell and wobbled the bit through the void to hopefully miss any wires that may be in there, and then drilled the hole through the inner metal. It works just fine for me.

Boolit Master

Way overthinking it. A cheap oven thermometer to tell you that 400 degrees has been achieved is all you need.

Boolit Master
    replying to the "if at all" part: No. I've done thousands of bullets and do not use a temperature measurement. BUT if you do without you need a little discipline. That is, always do the same size batch of bullets and mark the dial on your oven at the spot that works. I do 50 at a time so that I can stand them up.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I agree. "BEST" is gonna be a PID. I use one for my lead but not my oven. I use a inside oven unit and a laser unit so I have two to be sure one isnt faulty.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I use the "inside the oven" clip on as sold by WM. I've got an extra PID I'm tempting to try on my oven, just don't know just where to mount the probe yet.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I just bought a $20 walmart toaster oven and just finished baking some boolits. I used the top tray groove of the 2 because it was closer to being right between the upper and lower heating elements. I drilled a hole through the left end of the oven and the probe sits about 3/8 of an inch below the tray. I cooked them for 30 minutes at 425 degrees and after about 10 minutes the PID stayed there there rest of the way without moving at all. This cheap oven works way better than a more expensive Black & Decker I retired to boolit baking. It seems the B&D heat controls were conflicting with the PID.

Pid, open the oven up and rip out the thermal control it comes with

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    + 1 for 5 years now

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I drilled a hole through the opposite end of my oven from all the controls for my PID probe to just be below the wire rack on which the boolit tray sits. I drilled through the outer metal shell and wobbled the bit through the void to hopefully miss any wires that may be in there, and then drilled the hole through the inner metal. It works just fine for me.
    this because I control my oven with a PID
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I use the same one, excellent thermometer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    replying to the "if at all" part: No. I've done thousands of bullets and do not use a temperature measurement. BUT if you do without you need a little discipline. That is, always do the same size batch of bullets and mark the dial on your oven at the spot that works. I do 50 at a time so that I can stand them up.
    I do the same. I do have a timer that the oven plugs into so I'm baking for the same amount of time.
    I did melt some boolits figuring out the proper setting and time.

Boolit Master
    Yep, if you aren't using a PID then a plain oven thermometer works fine. Especially with convection ovens, fewer hotspots.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I used a non contact from hf. Cracked door and took a reading.

Like many others said I like the “pid” set it and let it control everything. They are cheap and if you get a couple thermocouples just leave one hooked to the oven and I leave one in my melting pot.

The PID users here might want to cite some links/sources to
    where & what to get for casting/PC'g purposes.

(I'm assuming HATCH by default)
    Last edited by mehavey; 11-01-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Why go to all the trouble to get a specific temp? I’ve been making mine for years now with nothing but a $5 yard sale toaster oven. I just set the thing for 425ish and spin the timer to 15 minutes and walk away. I just wonder back by when I think of it and stash them then rinse and repeat. It worked great with HF red until that went away as well as their yellow ( not so great) and Smokes powders that I use now which are by far the best. They all work well when I dig them out of a soft backstop they all seem to have all their coating in place along the sides����*♂️. This is for 38. 9mm 40 and 45 running moderate loadings.
    Here’s my other confession, I use pure straight lead with no hardening beyond dumping in ice water straight from the mold. They do of course get powder coated though. I really get very little and usually no leading if any with moderate pistol rounds. Works for me though I dont shoot paper just ring steel out in the back 40.

Boolit Master
    Electronic meat thermometer that goes to 450°F. Got an Acurite at Wally World for cheap. Thermocouple went bad so I ordered a couple replacements from the company. I use it primarily for checking mold temp when preheating on the hotplate. Also works to do a spot check of different locations in the toaster oven while using the PID for control.

Got my prescription from Walmart this morning. Taylor meat thermometer good to 482°F for $17.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 11-06-2022 at 02:33 PM.

The PID I use was the cheap ones from eBay just make sure your thermocouple is rated for the heat you are going to use it for. I just use one PID and leave my thermocouple in my melting pot and one in my toaster oven.
    As for why use a more exact temp control after slumping bullets because the toaster got too hot and so it would appear my factory temp control on my particular toaster sucked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast