RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Henry Long Ranger Express 223/556

Boolit Buddy

Henry Long Ranger Express 223/556

I had been eyeballing these for a spell and after watching one on Gunbroker sell for $1675, I picked this one up for MSRP ($1200.00) off Gunsinternational.

Chambered for 223/556 (manual states it’s rated for both) with a (fairly fat/stiff) 1:9 twist 16.5” barrel the muzzle is threaded 1/2X28 for either a muzzle brake or a suppressor, mine here is wearing my Gemtech Titanium Trek.

It comes with a weaver rail mounted on the receiver for a scope mount and I put a Leupold 3X9X40 in some “quick realease” rings on it for initial sight in and messing around.

So far I’ve run about 200 rounds through it with no problems.

I ran some of my hunting handloads and about a hundred or so rounds of Russian steel cased (both lacquer coated and the poly performance stuff) and so far there haven’t been any problems with feeding, firing or function.

The action is fairly slick with a moderate lever throw that’s easy to run from the shoulder.

The receiver is made from an aluminum alloy of some sort and comes with a matte finish that appears to be fairly durable but time will tell.

Speaking of the receiver, it appears (based on my measurements) that Henry uses the same receiver for both their 308 and 223 versions of this platform.

Even the magazines are the same (the 223 has a spacer up front to offset the difference in cartridge overall length).

Reference the magazines, the rifle comes with a single five round box magazine and (sadly) I don’t think a larger capacity feeding device can be made to work in one of these.

When the lever is opened far enough to feed the next cartridge, the trigger guard extends over the base of the magazine.

Anything longer than the standard 5 round mag would prevent the lever from moving far enough to pick up the next round.

As far as accuracy goes, it shot fairly well from the bench with my handloads turning around 1 inch groups and the Russian steel cased shooting just a little bit worse at about 1.5-1.75” groups.

Handloads

Russian Steel Cased

Pros are it’s light, fast handling, accurate, cheap to shoot and balances well with a can on it.

Cons are that that the entire front part of the rifle (from forend tip thru the receiver) gets hot during extended firing sessions.

That aluminum receiver acts like a heat sink and pulls heat back from the barrel all the way to the hammer in fairly short order.

Although I won’t call it a “con” I do dearly wish they would have pressed some checkering into the forearm and wrist of the stock (like they do on their standard models).

I do appreciate the stock being laminated and the color appeals to me; that said, it’s still quite warm here in Arizona and fat old men tend to sweat in this heat and the rifle is slick enough as it is without my natural juices compounding the issue.

All that said, I really like the gun.

It’s fairly expensive for what it is but if you have a palsy for leverguns (like I do) it certainly fills a hole in the “rifle” caliber lever action portion of a collection.

Boolit Master
    If I could ask about the suppressor please ? How much does your "can" reduce the noise of firing a round through it? Is it designed for a 22 rifle, or made for a larger caliber and used for the 22?

Boolit Buddy
    The suppressor I’m using on this rifle “sealed” design and can be for use any 22 caliber round (although I’d limit the use of 22lr as it can be taken apart and cleaned).

I’ve fired it in everything from 22LR (sparingly) up to 22-250.

When using it on a 16.5 inch barreled 223, the noise reduction is to the point where I can shoot it comfortably without hearing protection.

When using it on a 24 inch barreled 22-250 it’s the same.

If you’ve never heard a suppressed 223 (with a decent can) the noise is not unlike an air hose being suddenly disconnected from an air driven tool.

Being a traditionalist, that thing kind of gives me the creeps.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the review.

Interesting gun but not at the price they want for one. Just went on Gunbroker and checked it out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very nice rifle! I think it would be doable to make this thing use the short 10 round AR mags. Alas they didn't, so I went with a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 instead.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I like it I purchased my 223/5.56 LongRanger during the plandemic and it was tough to get one but Henry worked with me and so I got one. Then they came out with this model. I would have definitely liked this one. That said it’s a really nice rifle accurate quick to get follow up shots a dream to shoot and economical to shoot. Nice review….

Boolit Master
    That would be a great coyote rig. Just sayin'...looks similar to an updated 1895 Winchester.

Thanks for the report.

This rifle is also of interest to me. It’s a great suppressor host being it’s not semi. It’s faster for me (left handed) than a bolt gun. And it’s a convenient sized barrel for common BDC reticles. Now I forget which company, but they’re making a lower receiver of sorts that is lever operated for any and all AR uppers. My quest for a new suppressor host is on like Donkey Kong. I appreciate you writing up on this. Any further takeaways at this point? I too have a Gemtech, but it’s an older G5 I bought back in 2014. Really wish I had as much can knowledge then as I do now, but the can works well! Just a heavy son of a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if Henry is considering chambering these in 350 Legend?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'