WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free-lowcost / u pay shipping. High performance glass

Boolit Buddy

Free-lowcost / u pay shipping. High performance glass

As scrap that’s too small for me to make anything out of I end up with off cuts anywhere from less than 12x12” to 36x36” and sometimes 12x84” and anything in between

Mostly low E glass with some regular DS and quarter inch or laminate glass. I fill a dumpster once a month with glass.

If anyone ever needs some for small projects or to fix windows let me know. I have walls lined with the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where you at?

Boolit Buddy
    Connecticut.

if you have a specific glass size il cut some for you when large enough scrap is available to make it.

Moderator Emeritus

Very nice of you go offer that to our folks. Thanks.
    Ron

It is a very nice gesture. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Dang. I'll bet shipping to Oregon would be a killer. That's a great offer, good to see things like that.

Boolit Buddy
    When we ship our huge window crates to california. it’s 300$ min order from the shipping company. The shipping on 1 or 2 windows is similar to 10-15 boxes each weighing in at 40lb+

If someone wanted small panes fedex could work. The biggest windows we ship fedex are around 20”x30”. They break them otherwise. They don’t know how to not run boxes over with fork lifts over there. Fragile stickers are bullseyes for those guys.

Customer once sent us a ring video of a fedex guy lobbing the small grate onto the porch. Very audible shattering noises.

Boolit Master
    Cool deal! It makes me want to add some layers in various penetration tests!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I will be PM'ing you.

Boolit Master

Wish it was closer. I have been tinkering with designs for Making an old school style large greenhouse to extend growing season in Montana. Pane glass would have been just the ticket - But; I will keep looking in the local area.

Thanks for offering up to the group.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

Will have to keep this in mind after I revamp my desk. I have some maps and other data I keep on my desk and it needs a piece of tempered glass over it to keep them clean and not curling up on the edges. Need the new monitors in place before I can measure it though... and the amplifier off the desk and into the rack...

The desk in question... lot of stuff going on!

Boolit Man
    I’m in need is a piece of tempered or a couple pieces of ceramic glass for a fireplace. Happen to have anything like that I could purchase? I don’t have the size on me at this moment.

Boolit Buddy
    Tempered glass would be a rarity to reuse. But I do occasionally have to scrap it out.

It’s first cut, heated to almost molten, and blasted with cold air to cool to surface at a rate faster then the inside.

Tempered panes have to be used as is. If you try to recut them they will blow apart. The tempered I can give away will either be cut incorrectly for the window or have a cosmetic scratch in the low E coating.

If your looking for tempered glass pm me and I can tell you what I have and if it’s useful to you, then work out the shipping

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    Tempered glass would be a rarity to reuse. But I do occasionally have to scrap it out.

It’s first cut, heated to almost molten, and blasted with cold air to cool to surface at a rate faster then the inside.

Tempered panes have to be used as is. If you try to recut them they will blow apart. The tempered I can give away will either be cut incorrectly for the window or have a cosmetic scratch in the low E coating.

If your looking for tempered glass pm me and I can tell you what I have and if it’s useful to you, then work out the shipping

Doubt you will have it them, I will go with some plexi and just replace it when it gets to scratched up... piece would be 24"x9" so long and narrow.... enough to fit 2 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper under it.

Boolit Buddy

For clarification.

This is mostly low E glass, used to insulate your home. It’s almost as thermally efficient as having a wall space instead of a window.

An image to show a side by side of the insulating effect.

It reflects heat to its source. Keeps heat you paid for inside in the winter, and reduces heat penetration in summer.

Great to fix up your windows with in older homes, and some modern ones if your current windows don’t currently have low E

They save you money, and I throw sizeable pieces out that are too small for my customers needs. But could be used to replace lites for most people.

Or for various art, craft, machining/polishing uses

Last edited by johnsonian09; 09-29-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy

A few days worth of scrap (to me) hammer for perspective. The trash cart easel is 4x4’ of plywood

Boolit Buddy

Some of my smaller windows are taller then I am

But basically if you think you can use it, tell me what size you need, il check if I have it. and il tell you how much the shipping will be. And you can have it.

If your local or nearby ct you can pick it up for free.

Last edited by johnsonian09; 09-29-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Just a comment: I have used small glass plates for rolling lap compound into bullets for bore lapping.
    Another possible use for small size pieces that should be able to ship OK.

Boolit Grand Master

Would that laminate glass work for a wood stove? High Temp?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Just a comment: I have used small glass plates for rolling lap compound into bullets for bore lapping.
    Another possible use for small size pieces that should be able to ship OK.
    Best way to put a razor edge on wood chisels is a piece of glass
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast