• 452-255-RF

36 75.00%
  • 452-252-SWC

13 27.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 LC 452-255-RF or 452-252-SWC

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My SAA likes the 454-190 - a traditional boolit that shoots very well out of it.

If this is to help you decide what you want . . . only you can drcifr. Try both and see what you individual SAAs like best . . . . personally, I wouldn't be caught dead on the streets of Tombstone with a SAA loaded with the Kieth style . . . just don't seem "natural"!

I just ordered the 6 cavity 452-255-RF

I may also get the SWC later.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Well.....this doesn't look good

I made a road trip Saturday, and also stopped and bought both molds. ( the SWC looks fine )

Got home after a +2 hour drive, took a close look at the RF, and see this, does this look OK to you !?!?!

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Its a LEE mold. Some are OK useable, some are passable and some are junk... Contact LEE Im sure they will replace it.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody else enjoy the optical illusion presented by the above photos?

Boolit Master

Haha!

Yes! Saw it right away too

not happy

reply from LEE…..

Derek,

Brand new sharp tooling tends to chatter until the cutter is broken in or dulled from use. Molds on the shelf here exhibit the same finish. The lite chatter shown in cavity will have no effect on cast bullet performance or release from the cavity.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Brenda
    Customer Service

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    not happy

reply from LEE…..

Derek,

Brand new sharp tooling tends to chatter until the cutter is broken in or dulled from use. Molds on the shelf here exhibit the same finish. The lite chatter shown in cavity will have no effect on cast bullet performance or release from the cavity.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Brenda
    Customer Service
    That's just ducky! I was thinking about ordering one until I saw the reply from Lee.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Heck, load 'em and shoot a few. Let the gun tell you if it likes them or not. True, they dont make a picture perfect slick finish, but if Brenda didn't give you the answer you want (can't blame you for that) call back and ask to talk to the production manager.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Damn. I understand the response in concept, but they call that LIGHT chatter? It was cut with pinking shears!

Maybe cast with it to prove the bullets come out poor in quality (or not come out at all) and complain again?

MIDWAYUSA gave me a pre-paid UPS return label, I just shipped it back and got a refund.

That is what I call great customer service.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    MIDWAYUSA gave me a pre-paid UPS return label, I just shipped it back and got a refund.

That is what I call great customer service.
    Good call order new one from Titan Reloading.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Good call order new one from Titan Reloading.

CW
    Does Titan sell NOE molds now?

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Have much experience with #452-255-RF, it's a great bullet. Lee's attempt to answer the
    MANIFICENT #454190.
    Was recently gifted an old style 2cav #452-252-SWC by My Very Good Friend; CWLongshot.
    Looking forward to casting with it next month.

Since it's for SAA clone, I'd go exactly the same way, #454-255-RF.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    FOR ME...

I really do not like bullets with a "shoulder"(?) for revolvers. Maybe its mental voodoo on my part, but I always prefer a smooth transition down the nose from meplat to full diameter. I believe this so strongly I will not buy a bullet or any mold that is SWC for that reason. Rational? probably not. But I'm not trying to convince anyone, nor will I be convinced otherwise. But it's my justification:

I pick the RF in this case.

edit: forgot, I own the RF. I use it. Traditional lube. Love it, it's great.
    I use the .45-270 SAA as my go to mold for .45 Colt revolvers. I never thought about the above concern about shoulders impacting the edge of the forcing cone until a ran across an article by Glen Fryxell about loads for the S&W 696. His concern was the very thin end of the barrel extending thru the frame. Since I have a 696 I've switched to a truncated cone boolit for it and stick with Keith type SWC for my other .44's.

I may look into a mold for a round flat for the .44's since they should be a easier to load the cylinder.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I shoot TC’s too. My neurotic bullet rejection is limited to those without a smooth transition from meplat to full diameter. SWC doesn’t have it, but lfn, wfn, tc, even some hammerheads do. For me, it’s an issue of (speculatively) not being able to smoothly navigate the forcing cone (as) straight, increasing risk of accuracy degradation and spitting lead. It also “seems” more fiddly to crimp on the loading bench, tho thats pretty much a non-problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    As has been said, I'd go with the RF for better feeding in the companion carbine, but if all I had was the 45 Uberti, I think I'd stick with the SWC. Most of my shooting is at paper ot card board and the SWC makes a bigger hole.
    Yep, the RF was developed for smooth feeding in rifles. Most likely the SWC will make sharper holes in paper. Both look like they will put the smack down on game. I shoot the 200 RF for cowboy action.

Moderator Emeritus

Consider that with the 252 gr SWC you will save enough lead every 83 shots to have enough for another bullet. That might have a large impact every 10,000 rounds that you shoot with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

For short distance (a relative term) out of a revolver, I don’t think you’d notice a difference on game. In the case of a carbine, as mentioned, feeding will probably be better with the RNFP and should give better performance at longer ranges due to the higher ballistic coefficient. The meplat on the RNFP at 0.32” is plenty large enough to damage anything that walks, crawls, creeps or flies on anything east of the Mississippi.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    After the looks of the mold above I'll make sure to order from places with excellent return policies. Never saw one like that before. I just bought a .356 2R used in a box from the Army Navy store for $4.95 that looks perfect compared to the mold above. Wonder how that boolit would have looked when casted? I'm sure PC and sizing would have smoothed some of it out. You think Lee would have replaced it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast