Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend first flintlock

Boolit Master

Recommend first flintlock

Looking to purchase my first flintlock. From my reading I can see that I don’t wanna go with a cheap one unfortunately. I really hate to spend over 1K on a flintlock just to see if I enjoy it.

Any recommendations on a budget flintlock that’s not junk?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    If I was you,
    I would look into the Pedersolli rifles.
    They offer many different models.
    So far I am happy with the .32 Cub kit that I bought

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    If I was you,
    I would look into the Pedersolli rifles.
    They offer many different models.
    So far I am happy with the .32 Cub kit that I bought
    I second this recommendation. If you want a project and are good with your hands you can buy a kit and save a little extra $$$ as well. I recently purchased a kit and all the inletting was done and done well. It needed the brass parts sanded and polished plus the stock sanded to match the metal parts. Stained and sealed the stock. Still need to finish the barrel as I want to shoot it first because I may decide on different sights. Overall a very nice kit that I'm very pleased with.
    If you don't want to do it yourself they also offer fully finished rifles.

Boolit Master

A Jim Chambers kit is a good kit with quality parts

gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master

The key element to shooting a flinchlock is to get one with a good lock. A cheap lock will give you fits trying to make it work and fire consistently. I believe this is what turns off most people to enjoying flintlock weapons. Paying for a quality gun will allow you to make a comprehensive decision whether or not you like flinters. Besides, you can usually sell a quality rifle for about what you paid for it if you decide you don't care for it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I know it's not of the period, but for the price the Lyman Deerstalker in .50 shoots round ball well, even with its 1:48 twist barrel. I don't know the provenance of the lock, but with the English black flints I got from Track of the Wolf they sure do spark nicely and set off a moderate pan of ffffg priming power. It even comes with a removeable touch hole. Obviously, if you are after a period looking arm this won't do, but I'm hoping to use it on deer this fall along with my Lyman .54 Great Plains Rifle cap lock. I'd sure like to find one of those in flint. Just my two cents. GF

Boolit Master

You might consider a T/C Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains. They have pretty good locks and are reasonably priced. Pedersoli's are pricey and their lock springs would work pretty good on a half ton truck. I have two and both could shatter flints with amazing ease. Had to lighten the springs in both and they work fine now. Jim Kibler makes a real nice kit, I put together one of his Southern Mountain rifles in .40 and it works super. The kit is completely designed around a novice builder. Again, a bit pricey but you will likely find that most of your better quality flinters are a bit more money. They take a bit of getting use to but once you get them figured out they are a blast. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    The TC Hawkins are pretty good.
    But they don't make them any more.
    But it is a good choice if you want to start with a used rifle.
    The Traditions Work.
    But not that great unless you know what issues to look for.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If you don't want to build one from scratch or kit - just want to get your feet wet but with a decent rifle - - then look at a TC Hawken - there are good used ones out there - or a Lyman Great Plains - you can find good used ones as well. The lock is the heart of the rifle - take a look at Track Of The Wolf to get an idea of the L & R replacement locks that drop in - they make them for a variety of production rifles.

I had a 50 cal Lyman GP Rifle in flint - it shot very well and had no issues with the lock - gave a good shower of sparks.

You are in Kentuck - should go to the Nationals at Friendship - you'd see a number of used rifles there for sale as well as new. Good luck and have fun - nothing like a good flintlock!

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the lyman great plains rifle. I have a 54 caliber. Works well.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look on GunBroker - they usually have a good selection of new and used flinters from many different makers.

Keep an eye out at the local pawn brokers. The ones near me will sometimes take in traditional muzzleloaders with other firearms and have trouble selling them. Seems the majority of people want in-lines for hunting and the shops have trouble selling the sidelocks. I picked up a T/C Renegade cap lock for $100.00 a few years ago.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Kibler

The OP is trying to avoid spending $1K on his first flintlock and I certainly understand that.

tc rifles are pretty good, their frizzens not so much, i changed out every tc frizzen on all the tc FL,s i ever bought. i have been shooting rmc flint for a few years now and with black english flint and the L&R lock they come with, it have been touble free.

Boolit Master
    If there is a muzzle loading group in your area get in touch with them and ask if there is someone who will show you the basics of feeding and caring for a flintlock. Most groups will have a few guys shooting flintlocks. Perhaps go to one of their shoots. I'm sure someone will invite you to try a few shots with their rifle. Then you will get firsthand information on a bunch of different rifles be they flint or percussion so you will be able to evaluate the quality of the different makers. Beware as you may fall in love with a rifle that someone built where the parts cost more than your projected budget.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    Looking to purchase my first flintlock. From my reading I can see that I don’t wanna go with a cheap one unfortunately. I really hate to spend over 1K on a flintlock just to see if I enjoy it.

Any recommendations on a budget flintlock that’s not junk?
    Glockky,

I have been shooting flintlocks for a "long time" to include many hunts with them. I understand you concern on having a budget flintlock that's not junk. A bit of an issue is that I've seen my fair share of issues with over the counter production flintlocks. I have convinced many of my friends who now shoot a flintlock to buy "quality". Since you are down in Kentucky I know that you have some great flintlock builders and shooters in your state. Maybe you can get together with a local club, etc and see if they will let you come out to one of their shoots. Most flintlock shooters don't mind this, since they like to help. If you have a skill set the Jim Kibler kits are impressive. Even though they are over $1K, they are probably the best kits on the market. I built one of his Colonial rifles and just recently he will be coming out with his new Woodsrunner rifle kit.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/rifle-kits

YMO&HS

Old Footman
    Last edited by Old Footman; 09-23-2022 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Attachment 304834
    Attachment 304835
    Attachment 304836
    Attachment 304837
    Attachment 304838
    Attachment 304839
    Attachment 304840
    Attachment 304841
    Attachment 304842

Glockky,

Here is the Kibler Colonial .58 flintlock that I put together. The last two photos are after I finally finished oiling the stock with multiple coats of linseed oil.

Old Footman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    The OP is trying to avoid spending $1K on his first flintlock and I certainly understand that.
    Yeah I really like the nice Kiblers and pedersoli’s. Just hate to spend a grand to find out if I like it. I currently have a few cap locks that I enjoy shooting. Most are Thompson Center’s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Footman View Post
    Attachment 304834
    Attachment 304835
    Attachment 304836
    Attachment 304837
    Attachment 304838
    Attachment 304839
    Attachment 304840
    Attachment 304841
    Attachment 304842

Glockky,

Here is the Kibler Colonial .58 flintlock that I put together. The last two photos are after I finally finished oiling the stock with multiple coats of linseed oil.

Old Footman
    That’s a beautiful rifle. I’ve watched a lot of videos on assembling the Kibler’s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast