Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Planning underhammer build - anyone have experience with the Allen undrhammer action

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Planning underhammer build - anyone have experience with the Allen undrhammer action

I have some projects to get finished up with when we back to Arizona for the winter and then I am planning on building a new rifle. I have built quite a few traditional flint and percussion rifles in past years, but this one is going to be a bit different. I’m too old to shoot competition anymore and it is strictly going to be for playing with off a bench at a variety of distances - kind of a bench chunk gun for want of a better description.

I was able to find a new Douglas 44” - .45 caliber barrel thanks to a member here, and will be primarily using patched round ball and possibly be trying some conicals as well. I want to use an under-hammer action for the build so I have the choice of either using a H & A underhammer action or one of the Allen underhammer actions. I have owned a number of H & A underhammers so I am very familiar with them, what they are and how they are made,.

My question is about the Allen underhammer actions. I’ve seen these used on heavier bench rest rifles but have never talked with anyone who has one. Is there anyone here that possibly has a build with a Allen underhammer action and who could comment on their likes or dislikes of then?

Pecatonica shows both the H & A and the Allen underhammer actions and I will be contacting them as far as availability, and, I will probably use their wood for the build. My barrel is 1” across the flats X 44” octagon barrel and I am considering putting a full-length fore stock on it. I want to make the buttstock with a cheekpiece on both sides for both left and right hand shooters. Weight of the rifle is not a concern and for my intentions, the heavier the better. I’m planning on using a range rod for loading so I’m not even sure yet if I will make the fore stock to accommodate a ramrod but will be pouring a pewter nose cap. I’ll decide that when I lay the rifle out full size on paper before I start. Right now, I'm just in the "thinking" process and will decide on the finer details when Ilay it out to see what the final project will look like when done. Choice of wood is going to be curly maple and if I can’t get what I want, I’ll probably use Persimmon as I still have a coupleof full length stock blanks on hand (they came from a fellow in Kentucky – bought then about 30 years ago from him down at Friendship – very dense and straight grained which would stain and finish up nicely – he referred to Persimmon as “the poor man’s ebony).

If anyone here has experience with the Allen underhammer actions, could you share your thoughts and experiences with them? I’m leaning heavy towards the Allen underhammer action as I’m thinking it would be a bit more sturdy in the wrist than using a H & A action, but I am looking for some thoughts on the Allen from those that have actually used them. I’ve provided a link below to Pecatonica’s page that shows them.

http://longrifles-pr.com/actions.shtml

Thanks.

Jim

Boolit Bub
    Check you messages