Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy load with Lee .690 round ball

Boolit Mold
    99% of shotshell hulls are steel with a brass plate over it - I found that a magnetic pick up tool from Home Depot does a faster job of gathering spent hulls off the ground than the HF pick-up tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-Te...5212/300998736

Boolit Mold
    You might try using two nitro card wads under the ball or add a small scoop of COW on top of the nitro card wad then the ball. Both should provide better support for the RB and possibly help reduce blown gas seals.

What does ' COW ' stand for ?

Would that be " Cream of Wheat " cereal ?
    Last edited by lance4glas; 12-06-2022 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lance4glas View Post
    You might try using two nitro card wads under the ball or add a small scoop of COW on top of the nitro card wad then the ball. Both should provide better support for the RB and possibly help reduce blown gas seals.

What does ' COW ' stand for ?

Would that be " Cream of Wheat " cereal ?
    Yes!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Sorry about that typo. .662 round ball. Measures .727 on the outside of the wad with the ball in place.

Randy
    As Randy has demonstrated, this load works well in most smoothbore barrels of standard inside diameter. If your barrel is back-bored, then not so good. In developing a load for my rifled M-500 nothing good happened until I added a heavy paper shim inside the wad cup, surrounding the O.D. of the ball. I was using a 0.662" round ball and a Federal 12S3 wad. With the paper wrap the O.D. of the "sabot" was 0.742", IIRC. At that point the wad could grip the ball sufficiently to impart enough spin from the rifling to produce a very accurate load. I have since gone to a 0.690" RB to eliminate the need for the paper wrap. The lesson here is that if you are using a rifled barrel, you'll likely need to squeeze the bejeezers out of the payload to get any accuracy out of it! The Federal 12S3 is one tough wad, it holds up well to the abuse!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, COW = Cream 'O Wheat. I am sure other fillers/buffers would work just as well. Hogtamer uses grits (Southern boys!), cornmeal should work and shotgun buffer should work. I used COW because I had some on hand that I used for filler in .303 British. I had found that when loading round balls in trap wads that many types of trap wads do not have very strong bases in the shotcups and that the style of cushion leg affects how the gas seal and shotcups respond to being kicked in the butt by ~10,000 PSI. Many wads I recovered were badly distorted and many with blown gas seals. For some it was pretty obvious that using the ball in the shotcup with no other cushion or support was resulting in the shotcul base trying to wrap around the ball. So, I added a nitro card wad unbder the balls (16 ga. or 20 ga. for 12 ga. wads) and that helped then I thought adding a scoop of COW might provide more support. For me that worked well.

I should say that the wads I was using were mainly Winchester or Claybuster clones of Winchester and they have the 4 legged cushion and a very thin base in the shotcup. A wad with more substantial cushion or those with a center "post" like Federals may not need the extra support. At the time I was using the Winchester/Winchester clones and Pacific Verelite. The worst wads for failure were the Win AA Red wads. Those seem to be made of a softer material than my other Winchester and Claybuster wads.

Also, I had problems with the same types of wads blowing into hollow base slugs due to the weak construction. So I started filling all hollow base slugs. Again, maybe not necessary with a more substantial wad. Now I make a habit of adding a nitro card wad or two under filled slugs and with RB's using a scoop of COW under the ball... just enough to lift the ball a bit so the COW will form a seat seat filling in under the ball. Same applies to full bore round balls if loaded over a plastic wad with petals cut off. Full bore balls shoot well for me loaded over a hard card wad column too.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Hogtamer uses grits (Southern boys!)

Sinful waste of good food...
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Think I will play with this after deer season. Gathering components will begin. Probably experiment with a different powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Sinful waste of good food...
    Maybe in shotshells where it isn't "toasted" by hot gas but it sure does smell good when used as filler in metallic cartridges! Yum!

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12