WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focus

Boolit Master

I guess I'm old school, but I thought most skeet guns were about 26" barrels. 32" seems real long to me.

The old school was 26" bbls, and personally I think they had it right. The new school is 30-32" bbls. and that is because they are supposed to Swing Smoother? Also you can use the gun for Sporting Clays too.

I have no experience with short barrels except with my Tactical Guns and they are more like shooting rifles than shotguns, but it seems logical that the shorter barrels would accelerate faster out of the hole.

Looking at the Browning website yesterday I saw the "CXS Micro." Which is the same as my gun, but with 24" or 26" bbls. Now if they'd offer it with an English Stock I'd get one in a heartbeat.

The gun I'm looking for is a B25 with 26" bbls and the strait grip English Stock. But they are out of my price range unless they are junk. The good ones I've seen have all been $4500+.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

You will save money by taking lessons from a quality instructor. You can't teach yourself to do something you don't know how to do. Yes, focus on the target. If you are looking at the lead then you are not looking at the target. The different leads will take care of themselves if you look at the target and trust the shot. Don't worry about lead. Your subconscious mind is much better at breaking targets or shooting game than your conscious mind is.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

I notice you are from Texas. If you are in close proximity to Dan Carlisle contact him for a session. He is as good as an instructor gets. He does teach Sporting Clays, which I refer to as the wild side. I teach Sporting Clays also. The concept will be the same and you will be a much better shotgunner if you do. When the lightbulb goes off and you realize the difference in what you have been doing and the proper way to do it will be a wonderful moment!
    Again, Good Luck,
    Rick

Thanks Rick for the suggestion. However, $175 per hour, minimum 2 hrs, plus clays and ammo puts Dan out of my budget. Are there any videos that can be recommended?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Im pretty lousy with a shotgun, but found I got much better when I realized I was lifting my head off the stock "to see if I hit it" its very subconscious, but its real and will cause you to move the gun before you finish with the follow-through.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I guess I'm old school, but I thought most skeet guns were about 26" barrels. 32" seems real long to me.
    26" used to be the preferred barrel length back in the day. Nowadays 30" is much more common, especially since Olympic skeet calls for a lot of doubles and a steady swing.
    My first real skeet gun was a 28" Miroku 800W, I wanted a 26" but could only have it with a 28" barrel. I ended up chopping 2" of the muzzle! I still cringe when I think about this sacrilege...

I'm nearly 6'2'' with gorilla length arms. After some years it dawned on me that I would be better off with a longer barrel, and found a nice Browning A1 trap gun that somebody had reamed out to true cylinder in both barrels. For many years I was the only skeet shooter over here with a 30" barrel. These day I shoot a 30" Beretta 682 with extended chokes making it an even 31".

Randy,
    Your problems with the longer barrels are probably due to the horrible American habit of mounting the gun before calling for the target. When shooting from a low gun position you mount the gun in a more fluid motion, the gun is already moving when the stock makes contact with your shoulder.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    2 Randy,
    Your problems with the longer barrels are probably due to the horrible American habit of mounting the gun before calling for the target. When shooting from a low gun position you mount the gun in a more fluid motion, the gun is already moving when the stock makes contact with your shoulder.
    I have tried it that way and many of our guys shoot that way, so it's just a matter of time until I convert. one of the other "Randy's" (we have 3 "Randy's" in the club) says he has to shoot low gun so he can see the targets quicker. Makes sense cuz the barrels are in the way and especially if the target beats you out of the hole as you swing to the right.

They decided to run the Trap Batteries off Battery Chargers for the time being. I'll see where they are at tomorrow at Skeet Practice. I really like the machines, well made and relatively simple. Not much can go wrong with them.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

And I thought pistol shooting was hard.......
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    When I was at the apex of my competitive skeet/trap career a lot of the better trap shooters claimed 32” barrels were to hard to get around on the second target of trap doubles . As to skeet I started with a 26” four barrel set , then went to a 26” tube set and then on to a 28” tube set . Since that time I’ve shot piles and piles of skeet with 32” guns both O/U and SxS a good many with full choke in both barrels and have shot plenty straight rounds . Now with that being said I’ve also run straight rounds with one of the Remington Bakail 20” SxS guns as well as with a number of 24” SxS’s . Heck I’ve even shot decent scores with my 8 gauge SxS guns at skeet no straight rounds but a number of 23’s and 24’s . What a lot of people don’t get when they first start shooting skeet or trap is this “the mechanics of either game is at best 15% once you’re used to the game , the big nut on a persons shoulder is the other 85% . Mounted vs low gun is in my opinion a personal thing . When I shot skeet/trap competitively I shot mounted , I also shoot swing thru which all of the hot dogs will say is incorrect and sustained lead is better . To each his swing thru has worked for me for over forty years so it’s to late to change now . Back to the mounted gun vs low anymore how I hold the gun is based on my attitude at the moment . Some days at sporting I think I need a low gun to see the targets better other days I feel mounted does better . On the skeet field I’ll shoot mounted , low or even from the hip . It’s kind of if it’s not fun what’s the point . If I’m at a pheasant or partridge tower shoot of course I shot low gun . In the pigeon ring I’ve always shot mounted gun for box birds and up until this year I shot low gun for Colombaire pigeons . But at my last Colombaire match I shot mounted gun with my head up just a bit on the stock so all I had to do was scrunch my face down while swinging the gun and my kill percentage went up a good bit in that 15 bird match I was second overall but had the long run no one got all 15 the guy that was HOA dropped 14 in the ring while I dropped 13 . I lost my two birds in the first five or race and the other guy dropped his in the middle race . My long run of 11 was high for the day . I’ve played all the clay bird games except bunker trap and I like them all . But anymore none are as much fun to me as live pigeon matches be it box birds or Colombaire .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Well, a trick that was suggested to me is as follows. Take a small "AA" battery size Maglite, a turn or two of masking tape and it will fit nicely into a modified choke. Put on the tightest beam and look past the barrel and at the light on the wall as you practice shouldering and swinging. It's not precise, but may help you learn to look past the barrel / bead and at the target area.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12