Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wrist ammo holders

Boolit Buddy

Wrist ammo holders

Do any of you single shot hunters have a recommendation for a strap on ammo carrier? I'm thinking that with bulky deer hunting clothing the best solution might be a glove with a couple of elastic loops sewed on the back? Before I attempt to reinvent the wheel wondering what some of you are using. Of course, in a perfect world we only need one shot.......

The H&R rifles and shotguns I would be most likely to use hunting all have an Uncle Mikes elastic ammo carrier on the buttstock. Holds 5 to 7 rounds at the tip of your fingers and they are inexpensive.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...holder/p/p5313

9 rounds of rifle or 5 of shotgun for 11$. Pretty reasonable in my book. I think I have a mix of brands mostly Uncle Mike and Allen.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    It's whatever you are comfortable with. I do have a two shot wrist carrier for single shot pistol. Usually with my H&R, I just have another couple in my coat pocket.

Boolit Master
    I use the elastic stock ammo carrier on the butt of rifle, or you can wear the same ammo carrier on your forearm with bulky clothes??? I have seen a leather wallet type ammo carrier for pocket or a plastic ammo keeper like what federal high-power ammo comes in, I use their ultra mag plastic ammo holder for my 45/60 or 45/70. Find a plastic keeper from high-power that fits you brand of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had the same thing as Ghosthawk posted on a Ruger #1. It works but it sure is ugly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Cheapo elastic butt stock shell holders serve as my reserve wrist ammo carriers, shotshell or rifle/pistol. Though recently I went with GodaGrips.com on all my butt-stock carriers. The velcro allows for a a quick caliber change. FYI, I was concerned about the durability of the adhesive on the rifle stock. One year later, everything is as new.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

You did not indicate your calibre, but what I do: "Sneak" a case into local Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware store, and head to their clear plastic tubing rolls. By trial and error, find a size that comfortably -- I repeat, "comfortably" -- you do not wish it to be a tight fit -- holds your cartridge. Do a rough length by flipping over the cartridge as much as you need to house as many as you wish. ADD about three inches, cut it, pay, and get home with it.
    There, pass a safety pin through one end, which is fastened to the wrist area of your shirt or jacket. I have mine set up for THREE spare cartridges, and have it cut about 1 1/2 inches longer than needed. Here's the "tricky part : You put a second saftey pin in your shirt/jacket with the end of tube to be pinched/secured with about 1/2" passing though.
    This has (imho) several beauties as it keeps the cartridges visible; quiet; and, DRY! To get that needed cartridge, I do not even have to "look" -- just reach under the tubing to free top from top safety pin, and voila -- a cartridge slips into my hand. (Returning the tubing to secure-pin at top is a piece of cake, too, after top cartridge is removed.) I shoot right-handed, and keep this ammo-holder jig on my left arm.
    Works for me, and has... for years.
    geo

Boolit Master
    The English sporting jackets often have 3 shell loops on each side of the front chest. They are closed at the bottom so the shell(s) can't fall out while running - or climbing a tree...<LOL> The old elephant hunters apparently used something similar - and stuck 3 shells in their support hand before firing the one in the gun, so 4 shots were available fairly quickly.

I personally use a leather or elastic shell holder on the rifle stock. Seems to work well enough.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't care for buttstock shell carriers and generally carry only two or three extra cartridges unless I am on an eradication hunt. I just use a elastic wrist support band and tuck a couple of cartridges in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elastic.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	304756
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I kinda like pants with pockets great for extra ammo.

Boolit Buddy

There's been some interesting replies here. The rifle is a Henry single shot in .44 Mag so it's not a high dollar rifle but it has an exceptionally nicely grained piece of wood. I'm a little OCD about scuffing it up with anything abrasive or with brass eyelets, etc. One well placed shot on a deer with the Lyman #429640 cast soft and powder coated should do the job. I'm thinking one or maybe two rounds available for a quick reload should be enough, especially since there will be an ammo wallet in my coat pocket.

Boolit Master

I have just stuck a extra round under my watch band. It works for me! YMMV

Boolit Master
    One in your mouth.
    So it is right there where there where my hand is and the hole needs to be filled.
    I like my boolits well lubed with a soft lube.
    So I ended up buying a 20 shot ammo container ,‘mtm I think",with a flip lid that attaches to your belt or britches.
    It’s a 308 so I plugged up the holes with foam ear plugs till my cases sat nicely high enough to grab.
    Pockets are defiantly out.
    So are elastic for me.
    I need to keep them lubed and muck free.
    Being left handed I wish the lid was on the other side….but it’ll do just fine.

I have seen some pretty fast reloading done with single shots when your not worried about babying the brass.

When hunting with one of my Ruger #1s, I slip a 2-shell elastic wrist carrier over the muzzle & slide it down the receiver end of the barrel so that each cartridge rode atop the sides of the barrels just above the sides of the forend - which made them instantly available for loading as soon as opening the action ejected the spent cartridge.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride