Thread: Long Shot

Boolit Master

Long Shot

New World Record Set for Farthest Long-Range Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles
    John B. Snow - 3h ago
    40 Comments
    |

Support journalism

The long-range shooting world record was broken yet again when a team of spotters and a shooter hit a target at 4.4 miles (7,744 yards) in the Wyoming desert earlier this month. The marksmanship feat was orchestrated by Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries, who run Nomad Rifleman, a long-range shooting school out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

This is the rifle that set the new record for the longest hit on a target—a 4.4 mile shot using a highly customized .416 Barrett.
    This is the rifle that set the new record for the longest hit on a target—a 4.4 mile shot using a highly customized .416 Barrett.
    © Matthew Mellor
    Together with a group of friends they spent several hours launching bullets downrange before connecting on their 69th shot, according to a release on Nomad Rifleman’s website.

Making that many shot attempts isn’t unusual when trying to set records of this type. Humphries noted that the previous record, a four-mile shot made by Paul Phillips in 2019, required 69 attempts as well before the shooter connected.

World-Record Shot: Skill, Luck or Both?

With a 1.44 percent hit ratio, a shooting exhibition like this does raise an obvious issue: What does it signify in terms of actual marksmanship? That’s a somewhat difficult question to answer as a lot of skill, engineering, and prep work—more than 1,500 hours, according to Humphries—went into the feat, which required an element of favorable probability (aka luck) to come to pass.

The highly modified scope system used on the rifle that set the new world record for the longest rifle shot.
    The highly modified scope system used on the rifle that set the new world record for the longest rifle shot.
    © Matthew Mellor
    The target they shot at was constructed of thin sheet metal and measured 10 feet wide by 7.6 feet tall. It was also placed at a steep angle so it would be more in line with the fall of the bullet as it came back to earth. The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles. At 1,000 yards that would be a sporty target—basically 15.4 by 11.8 inches—but by no means difficult to hit consistently with a good rifle and ammo. But there’s a world of difference between ringing steel at a grand and doing it at more than 7,700 yards.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

I'm not sure I'm impressed. After 69 shots they hit it. I'd like to know if the spotters corrections gave the expected result in the next shot, stuff like that. Why not shoot a string "for record" once it was dialed in with an army of helpers. 2 hits of 5 shots, I'd be impressed. 1 in 69 I'm not. I'd like to know the angle of the barrel to ground at firing. OK, let it boil...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I'm not sure I'm impressed. After 69 shots they hit it. I'd like to know if the spotters corrections gave the expected result in the next shot, stuff like that. Why not shoot a string "for record" once it was dialed in with an army of helpers. 2 hits of 5 shots, I'd be impressed. 1 in 69 I'm not. I'd like to know the angle of the barrel to ground at firing. OK, let it boil...
    You are not alone. If they spent 1500 hours to get one hit in 69 attempts, I pity them for not having anything better to do.
    Don Verna

Probably had someone like me as a spotter saying “I didn’t see that one, shoot it again”.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

No comment.....At least they had a day out shooting.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    If, once he’d connected, he’d put the next 69 shots onto the target, that would indicate something beyond mere luck. There’s probably an equal chance of a quarry having a heart attack as being hit one time in 69 at that distance.

It might even notice a few of those misses and light out of there before that last shot connected.

I very much fear that the firearms community has discovered the equivalent of flagpole sitting or phonebooth stuffing.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just use a mini-gun, fire 5,000 rounds in the general direction of the target, get a few hits, and call it a win? Helluva lot quicker and easier.

Boolit Master
    Not enough range with a minigun.

I think it would be hard not to pick up some practical knowledge from this project.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-22-2022 at 11:44 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

I think it would be hard not to pick up some practical knowledge from this project.[/QUOTE]

^
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Grand Master

This was nothing more than proving if you have enough perseverance you will get lucky. Reality is this is well beyond any human's ability to read wind.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

All luck aside Time of flite and total elevation interest me. Also interesting is driving at the 55 MPH speed limit it would take almost 5 minutes to get from rifle to target.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    All luck aside Time of flite and total elevation interest me. Also interesting is driving at the 55 MPH speed limit it would take almost 5 minutes to get from rifle to target.
    lots more info and videos here: https://www.westernjournal.com/recor...c_oLPvJOcDeGfc
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer