Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My .32 S&W long rifle results

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Second, I’d probably go ahead and punch it out to 32 H&R just because. After all, that chamber will accept the S&W Long equally well.
    I gave the H&R cartridge some thought. After all I have a stainless 4" S&W J-frame in that caliber. But I shoot a lot of S&W Long ammunition in it for hearing's sake. And that is why I stuck to the shorter cartridge for the Remington. Trying to keep loads below mach 1. I think I could load the Long case to pretty high velocities in my rolling block. My testing with AA #7 showed close to 1500 fps with 100 grain cast with no sticky extraction or primer problems. While not a deer rifle my little rifle would put the hurt on a coyote size animal at 1,000 fps.

Still haven't sighted in the new load. Maybe today.

Jim

OK,it's the same day. I shot three 3-shot groups at 25 yards. Here is one of them. It is representive. Iam exstatic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANMP0038 (3).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	305039

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANMP0038 (4).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	305040

I had to make it a lot smller.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Not too shabby! I wish I could do as well with any of my target revolvers. I think they will do it, but between old age shakes and cataracts in my shootin’ eye, I think not.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Hmm... I just went out to cast up some boolits from the 40:1 mix and learned thein spite of my memorey, they did not come from a Lee mould. Rather it is an Arsenal that is marked '98 gr SWC - RCBS Clone'. May be why they shot so well. I will be interested in trying the softer alloy. I havesome tin in one ounce segments from Rotometals if I need them.

Jim

Looks like I need a bit more time with the 40:1 mix. I melted it in a new Lee 20 lb bottom pour. It took a while to get the spout adjusted. First it was dropping too muh alloy and making a mess. I couldn't contol it very well. Also, the stool I sit on while casting is too tall making it hard to align the mould with the spout. I got a lower stool and adjusted the amount of alloy the Lee was dropping. Then, of course, I got it too low and had to open it up a little.

The boolits came out a bit irregular since I was having trouble. Interestingly, they weigh about what the ones I cast from COWW did. Within about a grain. I expected them to be heavier.

Oh,well, it's a new tool and I have to learn it.

Jim

Boolit Master
    The DripOmatic does not care if you run a ladle across the bottom to feed the molds!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12