RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger Deerstalker .44 mag loads

Boolit Master

Ruger Deerstalker .44 mag loads

I know no cast but they work. Rifle has tube mag so have to use RNFP Lead. Can't use black powder so need a good thumper. Have been using 300 gr Underwood but getting to expensive on retirement. What mold would you use? I am using 16-1 and 20-1 for my .45-70 trapdoor. What lead mix should I use for the Ruger, as lead is not recomminded, for the Ruger's gas system but works as long as I clean good.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have one also. Mine is from around 1980 so it doesn’t say deer stalker on it. I just use jacketed handed loaded ammo and plink with it. Really haven’t shot it much. Only a couple times since I bought it used on GB a few years back on an impulse buy. I also installed a Bushnel engage 1-4x optic. It’s a 30mm tube German plex with a red dot! Coolest scope I ever bought. It was on sale last year for $97 at Natchez shooters supply. That gun will print one large hole with groups at 100 yards. I should hunt with it some day. I plan on trying Lyman devastators out of it some time soon. I’d like to buy the Deerfield version one of these days. Don’t crack your stock because it’s impossible to find replacements. Sounds like cracking is very common with them as well.

Boolit Bub
    I have run a bunch of full speed cast 240 grain RNFP from an accurate mold through my 44 Ruger Carbine. The big secret is to use a gas check and to powder coat them bullets. Traditionally lubed cast bullets really gunked up that gas block and needed constant attention to scrape out the wax/soot crud. If you neglect to clean that block with lubed bullets that gunk will actually seize up into a rock and things get very frustrating. The powder coating fixed all of them issues.

Boolit Master
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Lee makes a 310g bullet mold that works well in my rifles.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I’m using an MP Mold ….. 432 Hammer. ( I’m a fan of the hollow point cast. ) in my .44 Rossi
    I’m currently loading HP-38 medium loads. I made a few full house H110. Once a got my arm working again, I put a pad on the Rossi. Haven’t shot the H110 since, lmao

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F84745B-DDC9-41BD-8DCB-9341029E0833.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	304708
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Mold
    mp made a .434 dia 305 gr FP 270 Gr HP 267 ish grain penta HP gas checked for the 44/444 very much like the Lee 310 but with 3 crimp grooves
    i made up dummies and those and the lee 310 and they feed well in my 77/44 boltgun.

Boolit Master

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	304727 I've been using the Lyman # 429640 Devastator, powder coated & gas checked, with 21.0 grains of H110 as a hunting load in my 10.5" Superblackhawk. I think that this would also be a good load for carbines.

The Deerstalker is very prone to stock failure with 44 Mag factory loads. A real thumper load would not be advisable for that particular model gun.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    The Deerstalker is very prone to stock failure with 44 Mag factory loads. A real thumper load would not be advisable for that particular model gun.
    As far as the OP is concerned, it’s his rifle and he can shoot what he wants out of it but what Rapier has shared here is accurate.

I’ve had this one for quite a few years and I’ve fired it many times with handloads that were loaded to factory pressures.

You can see where the stock cracks on these from here in this pic:

Like I said, a person can shoot whatever he wants through one of these till the stock renders to splinters but when does he’ll go bow legged and blind looking for a replacement and pay through the nose when he finds one.

Beat on one with 300 grain bullets at speeds/pressures that will operate the action and it’ll spilt a whole lot quicker.

Boolit Bub
    When you see your stock splitting like that it is a good time to add some original thin accraglass into the crack. The thin accraglass will penetrate and be stronger than the original wood. Did that to mine long ago and it paused if not stopped the splitting.

Quote Originally Posted by BentSprings View Post
    When you see your stock splitting like that it is a good time to add some original thin accraglass into the crack. The thin accraglass will penetrate and be stronger than the original wood. Did that to mine long ago and it paused if not stopped the splitting.
    This is what I was wondering for sometime , the stock on my Ithaca mod 37 Feather lite 12 ga cracks and was always thinking have to replace the stock on it , I did already once after I got it from my dad . Thanks for the information .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Would applying a coat of the Accra glass to inside wood help prevent the cracking from starting?

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I know no cast but they work. Rifle has tube mag so have to use RNFP Lead. Can't use black powder so need a good thumper. Have been using 300 gr Underwood but getting to expensive on retirement. What mold would you use? I am using 16-1 and 20-1 for my .45-70 trapdoor. What lead mix should I use for the Ruger, as lead is not recomminded, for the Ruger's gas system but works as long as I clean good.

I don’t have the Ruger carbine, but a Marlin lever action. I ended up getting a 260 LBT WFN that feeds well through the Marlin (to my utter surprise). I’ve shot deer with 16-1 with a load that is about 1150 out of my Super Blackhawk…and about 1400 out of the Marlin. It is definately my go to do everything load. Last deer I shot with it was quartering away at about 50 yards…a solid shot that took off the top of the heart and left a 3/4” hole on its way out. No tracking necessary. I think either 16-1 or 20-1 will work just fine IMHO.

Surfdog

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Just curious what would constitute a full house load from the ruger carbine? With 240 and 310 cast, what velocity would be max, stock splitter? I have deerstalker #108.

krh1326

I'm interested in your HP-38 load..
    powder charge, boolit weight and OAL
    Please

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    I’m using an MP Mold ….. 432 Hammer. ( I’m a fan of the hollow point cast. ) in my .44 Rossi
    I’m currently loading HP-38 medium loads. I made a few full house H110. Once a got my arm working again, I put a pad on the Rossi. Haven’t shot the H110 since, lmao

krh1326;
    I'm interested in your HP-38 loads..
    powder charge, boolit weight, and OAL
    Please

Name:	9F84745B-DDC9-41BD-8DCB-9341029E0833.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	304708
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie