WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Lee Loader primer tool problem

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I mostly use a lead ingot from tipping over what I have left over in my lead pot.
    It takes the ding and clang out.
    With the 44 mag I used vasalene as case lube and a lead hammer after I wrecked the plastic insert.
    I just wrapped cardboard around the hammer head and kept it their with tape.filled the screw section and cardboard reservoir with a large ladle/tin can of alloy I was using.

Makes for quieter loading and less case base beating.
    I only had to neck size a wee bit. Like a thou to finger seat the cast bullets I was using.

I tried some other lube but it didn’t work to well.

Annealing the necks really helps.

I didn’t crimp for the single shot they were used for.
    The de primer pin I taped up till it just fit into the neck of the case.
    I found it difficult to get it into the primer hole at times.
    I think the cases are hard worked and the bases are soft.
    Hope it helps.
    ...building a lead hammerhead before destroying my plastic one seems very reasonable. thanks for the input!
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    44 Magnums seems to be one case that is harder to resize than most handgun cases. My method was a good lubing (Mink Oil Boot Dressing) on a clean case and my plastic mallet (a dead bow hammer works well too.). I most often used a lead ingot/puck as an anvil and made sure I was hitting the case square in the bottom. The blows need to be a "forceful push" rather than a "tap, tap, tap". I have done hundred 44 Magnums and not damage any cases or the tool.
    again it seems that the creative use of lead as anvil to lower noise
    and the forceful push concept can really pay off... Thanks again !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John in WI View Post
    I sent a picture to LEE, and they simply sent a link to order a new one. Free, I pay shipping.

For $10, I'm not going to mess with it anymore. But thanks for the thoughts and help.
    now THAT RIGHT THERE is customer service done perfectly...good on you LEE.

Boolit Master
    Champhering /countersinking primer pockets...just a wee twirl with your case mouth deburring tool does it too easy...and primers slip in oh so easily...dont get carried away,just a wee bit of brass removed,enough to take sharp corner off 1mm at most.

OK guys,,, there is a simple way to get around this problem. You knock the old primer out, then you size the case, then you start the new primer in the case,,, then you gently tap the primer home.

Better method: use a Small Arbor Press or Drill Press instead of the Hammer for all operations?

Third method: Buy a Lee Priming Tool and Seat Primers with that.

I bought my first Lee Loader in 1971 right after I got my first Centerfire Rifle, a Sako Forester in .243 Win. I bought the Lee Loader on a Saturday ($9.95) I had to wait til the following Saturday to go back and buy the simple Lee Priming Tool cuz I didn't like the hammer method of seating primers and this was the first time I had ever reloaded anything! I figured it out real quick and didn't even need blow one up in my face to get teh idea that there must be a better way!!!!

I didn't get a small Arbor Press until a few years ago, and never used the Drill Press either. Wore out my nice Snap On Plastic Mallet pounding cases into the sizing die over the years until I got a Rock Chucker.

I can always go back to a Lee Loader as it is the Simplest Method of Reloading Ammo there is, and this Basic Concept/Method/Tool has been around since ammunition could be reloaded. Lee just mass produced it and made it affordable.

I ALWAYS recommend newbies start with a Lee Loader so that they understand the process before they move on to machines that go faster or decide they don't want to mess with Reloading, which makes them fools, and I don't go any farther with fools.

YMMV!

Randy

I even recommend the Lee Loader for beginners over my BPM Hand Press which is the best there is. Available at www.buchananprecisionmachine.com It costs more than a Lee Loader!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-01-2022 at 05:54 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12