MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mid-Range loads for 44 Mag

Boolit Master
    Unique at 8.5 in magnum cases, then HS6 at 12 gr for a upper mid-range and field carry.

For me, HS6 is the brass monkey!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    RP,
    Sorry, my memory failed me. While, I have 50+ reloading manuals, I refer mostly, to the half a dozen books I keep at my bench. A quick looksie and sure enough, nothing from Lyman. I got the data from Nick Harvey.

Cover
    Attachment 304733
    44 Mag Header
    Attachment 304734
    Data for 240 SWC
    Attachment 304735
    The Speer #10 and 12 manuals lists the same data for .44 Mag/240 SWC/Red Dot. The Speer #8 lists significantly hotter data for that combo. Some of the data in the Speer #8 is potentially dangerous, and I would double check **any** load from that manual against more recent data.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    No doubt Unique works great for me .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    10g of 4756 for 980fps from a 6" Smith

10g of N350 for 1080fps from a 6" Smith

Just for variety.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I've never owned and seldom reloaded for .44 Magnum, but I think I'D try to duplicate the Keith-Skelton .44 Special load (7.5/Unique/240-250 gr. LSWC), using any propellant with a burning rate between Green Dot and Herco. The use of a chronograph would be required, of course.
    I saw that HS-6 was mentioned favorably for mid-range loads. I am not very familiar with it, but HS-6 may be a bit too slow-burning to ignite readily at the chamber pressures involved. Someone more experienced with that propellant would know better, and I'll happily defer to their judgement.
    I'm somewhat familiar with Herco, and believe that 9.0/Herco/240-250 gr. LSWC would be a very close approximation. As always, start lower and work up. All other reloading precautions (including notacting on my recommendation without further research!) also apply.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned
    unique

Boolit Master

Unique
    9.5grs

Seems that LOTS of folks have the same results with 9.0-10.0grs of Unique.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

9.0 grs. of Unique under a 240 gr rfn. 15 yds.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    10 grains of Unique with either an RCBS 245gr SWC or the Lee 310 gr Flatpoint.

I get 1,035ft/sec with the former and 990 ft/sec the later.

I've only started using this load - or any mid-range 44 mag load - about a year ago when i read about it on this site. Prior to that I used the 44 Mag as either a cowboy gun or full out H110 loads and jacketed bullets. The 10.0 gr Unique are a fun place in the middle. The heavy Lee bullets are my favorite for gong shooting. They give a nice shove to the hand and make the gong swing way back. Satisfying without being punishing.

Boolit Buddy
    Was given a few pounds of Herco and found it worked well with the RCBS 250 Keith. Have burned through a lot of it for practice loads.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I use 8.5 grains of Unique for 240-250 grain cast boolits. It's a decent mid range load, and very accurate in my Ruger Blackhawk.
    This...
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I bought I decent amount of HP-38 ( Win 231 ) to be able to load all of my handguns. .45acp , 380, 9mm , .38/ .357 & .44 sp/mag

It does great in all the autos, but for the revolvers it only builds up to mid and slightly higher loads. Those rounds are pleasant shooters. I have to switch to H110 for full house in the mags.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Mold
    10 gr Unique under 240, 250 and 260 cast. Picked up some HP-38 and CFE Pistol, for a mid load in a 3" 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkin lead View Post
    10 gr Unique under 240, 250 and 260 cast. Picked up some HP-38 and CFE Pistol, for a mid load in a 3" 44 mag.
    Sorry... IMO and in My Equipment...that aint Mild!!!
    7.5 gr Unique under 255 Lee SWC.... what I call Fun!!!

Darn it!!!
    Mid Range was the Question!!!! Yup 9 -10... just ignore Me...I'm hiding behind the Curtain!!!

Boolit Master

Mid-range = 44 Special
    Low-range = 44 Russian
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Just another thought. If Unique isn't in your powder magazine and you can find Alliant Herco, do not overlook it as a propellant for .44 Magnum. It is a slightly slower-burning, not quite as versatile propellant, that tends to give slightly higher velocities at the top end, than Unique will. If loading data is not available, use data for Unique, and expect to use 6 - 10% more, for the same velocities.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

WW231 or HP38

Boolit Bub
    I agree on green dot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123