Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder coated vs lubed boolits and throat/bbl erosion?

Boolit Master

Powder coated vs lubed boolits and throat/bbl erosion?

Has anyone tested throat/bbl erosion of a rifle that used powder coated boolits in comparison to a rifle that used normally lubed boolits?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Has anyone tested throat/bbl erosion of a rifle that used powder coated boolits in comparison to a rifle that used normally lubed boolits?
    Have no way of knowing but PC ed 45/70 shoots more accurate if aimed right ,if in doubt paper patch (a sure bet)/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot nothing but PC. I set back a barrel, throated it as before. When I bore scope it after I do some leade polishing, I can see minuscule reamer marks perpendicular to the bore which are typical reamer marks. I shot that barrel all season, and can still see the same perpendicular marks. So wear from the bullet is nill. But, the bore diameter grew .0015" ahead of the leade for a couple inches. While the surface still looks new, the heat from the powder gases can't be stopped.

Boolit Master

As touched on by Popcorn, I think you're going to find erosion caused by powder gases, not bullet.
    Rick

Maybe not the best place to ask, but I wonder if anyone on / viewing this thread has looked at effect of paper patch bullet use on bore wear and/or finish break in / polishing.

I do know that paper is hard on cutting edges. My father used to be a printer, and old paper cutting tools used to be made of White Cast Iron (high Iron Carbide particle composition) for this reason, so it has always made sense to me to ask if shooting paper patch bullets would lap or polish a bore well.

I do suspect that most any barrel is junk from throat wear due to gas cutting / erosion long before bore wear from jacket material becomes much of an effect (setting aside steel jacketed projectiles, of which I am aware of several different sources of these besides Mil Surp).

Boolit Master
    Throat erosion is due to hot gasses under pressure. The lower the pressure and temperature, the lower the erosion. Doesn't really matter if it is cast or jacketed.

Paper patch is abrasive. I have a nicely 'polished' muzzle loader bore to show for it But, the throat erosion factor is still due mainly to the hot gasses.

That's where I was going Charlie b: The polishing.
    How do you think it compares to fire lapping w/ abrasives? Do you know how many patched bullets to get to a "useful polishing" result?

Boolit Master
    Took quite a few with my muzzle loader. Several hundred. Fire lapping is far more aggressive.