Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP straight blowback handloading considerations?

Boolit Mold

45ACP straight blowback handloading considerations?

Hi all - I'm a new member here, though I've greatly appreciated gleaning information from this site over many years. Thank you all very much for that. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to steer me straight.

I'm loading 45ACP for a straight blowback 18" barrel carbine (TNW ASR). There are three different types of loads I'm trying to work up, and I'm hoping you folks can offer some general (or specific!) advice about how things are different with the straight blowback action compared to the 1911 that I'm more familiar with loading for.

1. Typical modest 230gr plinking load, just trying to get a clean burn and minimize wear on the rifle and brass
    2. Low noise load with 255gr SWC
    3. High energy loads with 200gr and 255gr SWC

I am not satisfied with my understanding of how burn rate, bullet weight, crimp, dwell time and bolt mass are all working together (vs. early opening with the straight blowback action). I have TrailBoss, Universal, and Blue Dot powders to work with right now, and I'm open to other suggestions. (I also have LilGun, but probably not useful here)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by alpining; 09-19-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Keep your handloads to standard 230 grain milspec/factory specs and all will be good.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I used Blue Dot in my Hi Point carbine with a 200 Grain SWC. 10.7 grains got 1233 FPS. The ejector was leaving a pretty good mark on the case at that point so I stopped there. Blue Dot seemed like a common powder used for hotter/faster loads in 45 ACP so that is what I tried...

Any number normal loads should be fine for items 1 & 2.

Boolit Master
    For what loads is your carbine rated for. HiPoints are usually rated for at least +P pressures. I have no idea what you gun is rated for. But as Char-Gar says load you ammo to .45 factory-gov specs and all should good. If necessary adjust the loads for function. In some cases this may mean less or more powder. Round nose bullets are most often best for feeding. Some times a very slight crimp may needed to facilitate feeding. Too much can cause other problems.

I looked your rifle and it appears to use AR15 buffer tubes that means you may be able to vary the spring and buffer wts. The CMMG rifles have a radial unlock delayed blow system and that is what i would buy if I wanted something better than a hipoint.
    They have a version of it in 460 rowland

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 16-27-35 Aero Survival Rifle.png 
Views:	501 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	304682

Boolit Master
    I have ran nothing but the cheap FMJ though mine at this point over the years. I purchased one when they first came out years ago and think it has ate 500 or so with zero issues. One thing I have done and would suggest you think about is a mod to receiver. I had purchased a couple more barrels since they are threaded now to make a long, medium, short. One to leave unaltered and two to cut. I screwed the can on the full length and that first round hurt, blasted in face from blow back from open left port. I mean sting of on fire over most of face and yes I had on glasses. So I found some 3/32" wall aluminum tubing and made a two screw cover for left port, right handed. First run triggers were horrible but they have improved those, it has went bang and run 100% with the ball. You go getting off the trail with boolits beyond a 185-230 designs I would suggest plunk testing and maybe even a good cast of throat to see whats out front. The supplied steel buffer I am sure is designed to run within an X parameter, once again, you get off the trail with heavies or hot rod that extension may remove itself after a while. Every time I have spoken to them back then they were very open and said what they thought, maybe a phone call to them? Or, you can be the experimental, order a new buffer and drill and use AR buffer weights/Tungsten to start heavy and lighten up till it runs. In a blow back system Mr. Newton's #3 is there for every squeeze! Have fun, be careful.

Boolit Master
    Since the 1911 pistol that the 45acp was invented for is a straight blow back action, any standard published 45acp loads should work well for your application. I have a 45acp bolt action carbine, and in my experience pushing to higher velocities also decreases accuracy. In my rifle 185 grain SWC feed well, but 255 grain SWC don't. Far and away the most reliable feeding and most accurate bullet that I've found for this application has been the cast 230 grain round nose using 6.5 grains of Unique.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Since the 1911 pistol that the 45acp was invented for is a straight blow back action,
    The 1911 is not a straight blow back action.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...perates/100440

In simplest terms, the Government Model 1911 is a magazine-fed, recoil-operated, single-action autoloader with an exposed hammer. When the gun is fired, recoil energy from the discharging cartridge propellant powers the jointly locked slide and barrel a short distance to the rear while the bullet exits the muzzle and chamber pressure drops to a safe level. Then a toggle-link on the barrel pivots around the slide lock pin, stops the barrel from further movement backward, and pulls the barrel downward to unlock it from the slide, allowing the slide to continue its motion fully rearward, extracting and ejecting the fired cartridge case, compressing the recoil spring, and pushing the hammer into the cocked position.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-20-2022 at 01:51 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    M-Tecs is correct on it being a short recoil system and I watched about to where Vickers shows the slide and the barrel locked together as is typical in a short recoil system a la Browning. The only factory blowback pistol that I am aware of in .45 and also .40 cal are the HiPoints where it is only the wt of the slide and pressure of the spring that keeps the slide close long enough for pressure to go down and allows the action to recoil, eject and feed another cartridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 00-17-12 45ACP straight blowback handloading considerations.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	304693

Boolit Master
    I stand corrected. Anyway, loads that work best in the pistol are usually also good in the carbine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I stand corrected. Anyway, loads that work best in the pistol are usually also good in the carbine.
    There were people some years ago in gun magazines that were referring to recoil operated pistols as blow back and I think not everyone has since got that straight in the gun world.
    A successful .45 ACP carbine must be able to function properly with standard fmj loads for sure.

Reloaded 45acp for 1911's for many years before getting a semi Thompson 1927 15-20 years ago. Didn't change anything since the 1911's are the primary use for the ammo. The Thompson mainly gets shot with ammo that is fmj loaded to standard velocity.

Boolit Mold
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, folks! Great info here, it will take me some time to digest.

The TNW ASR in 45ACP has exactly the same parts as the version they make for 460 Rowland (well, everything except for the barrel). It can handle hot stuff. And, it's been surprisingly happy with light TrailBoss loads.

Can anyone comment on early opening issues with straight blowback actions? Do I figure correctly that a heavy bullet combined with a slower powder is going to have the worst potential for causing it? Or are load specifics insignificant compared to having the "correct" bolt (and buffer) mass?

Have a couple .45 Olympic pccs that are of course blowback and 2 cmmg rotary bolts. I’ve used the same reloads in both but with different shaped bullets. The Olympic will eat anything but not the cmmg. Plus I had to get Midway Stoner uppers with bigger ejection ports for the rotary bolts. My first 45 pcc build was damaged because of not having a heavy enough buffer. I’ve played with the buffer springs and extra springs trying to mitigate the forward buffer motion, tinkered with them a bunch years ago. Good luck on your build.

I shoot a 10mm 16” carbine that’s a blowback action. Blowbacks usually have a massive bolt/spring combo, thus requiring a pretty good load to ‘blow it back fully without malfunction.’ Mine is a MechTech and the bolt is very heavy. It handles the 10mm fine, as well I’m sure, all the calibers supported, included 45ACP on a 1911. Pertaining to plinking rounds, I’m not so sure a light load in a 1911 would fully function in a carbine, unless the bolt is similar in size/weight as the 1911 slide/barrel, etc. Just my .02.

Boolit Buddy
    I found out that a 45 ACP in a UZI needs a +P load to push the heavy bolt Alliant has information on line using BE-86 powder . I started with a low charge of powder and worked up to 7.5 grains with a LEE 200 grain cast bullet .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alpining View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, folks! Great info here, it will take me some time to digest.

The TNW ASR in 45ACP has exactly the same parts as the version they make for 460 Rowland (well, everything except for the barrel). It can handle hot stuff. And, it's been surprisingly happy with light TrailBoss loads.

Can anyone comment on early opening issues with straight blowback actions? Do I figure correctly that a heavy bullet combined with a slower powder is going to have the worst potential for causing it? Or are load specifics insignificant compared to having the "correct" bolt (and buffer) mass?
    That is a most complicated question and I know I can not answer it and probably most of the forum members can not. The degree to which the shell casing gripes the chamber wall upon expansion will impact rate of bolt opening in a blow back and also most other semi-autos. I have no idea about how a slow power, say a slow rifle powder will behave in the scenario that you suggest relative to a pressure curve in the chamber.

Boolit Master
    I agree with recommending against "hot-rodding" the .45 ACP in a straight blow-back action. If you have a locking system of some sort (more than a roller delayed blowback), then you have the potential to "up the performance" A LITTLE.
    The loading data below are out of Hodgdon's online site, or Modern Reloading 2nd edition by Richard Lee, which is nothing more than a compilation of load data from other manuals. I recognize the data as being from one of Speer's loading manuals when they listed loads for their 260 gr. JHP in .45 ACP. Of course, use this or any other data at your own risk, and with your best judgement.
    1.) TYPICAL .45 ACP: If memory serves, the original load for .45 ACP was 5.0/Bullseye/230 gr. FMJRN. I'd THINK that it'd be safe to use in your carbine. Given its rapid burn rate, it MAY give you lower velocities in a longer barrel (friction) than from a pistol barrel.
    Slower-burning propellants (Unique, Herco) might give you greater velocity, but I've never chronographed .45 ACP reloads from a carbine. Anything's possible.
    5.1-5.6/Universal/230 FMJFP is what Hodgdon lists. There's a load for TB, but it's pretty anemic. Hodgdon lists NO data for Universal nor TB using 250(ish) grain bullets.

For 255(ish) grain bullets, the following data is available:
    4.3-4.5/Bullseye/260 gr. JHP ~725 f/s
    5.1-5.6/Unique/260 gr. JHP ~760 f/s
    5.6-5.9/Herco/260 gr. JHP ~740 f/s
    8.1-8.3/Blue Dot/260 gr. JHP ~790 f/s

PERSONALLY, I'D start at 10% under maximum and stop when you get reliable feeding and ejection, or perhaps increase by 0.1 gr. over that, for when actions get gritted up and dirty. I would also use the 250 gr RNFP by Lee, as the heavy projectile. Feeds better than LSWCs, etc.
    A .45 ACP case loaded with a near-max charge of Blue Dot and a 250 gr. HiTek coated RNFP MIGHT get you into the 900 f/s range with your carbine. I don't know what it will do in terms of premature bolt travel, nor what kind of noise it might produce, but I'll bet it'd drop small deer out to 50 yards.

Okay, end of dissertation...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

The TNW ASR is chambered in the 460 Rowland and the 357 Sig. Both of those are 40,000 PSI. The 10mm that it is chambered in is a 37,000 PSI. Standard 45 ACP is 21,000 PSI and +P is 23,000 PSI.

On my Mech Tec carbine I ordered the 45 Super version so I am good to 28,000K.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast