Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Accurate 45-300G and the .454 Casull?

Boolit Buddy

Accurate 45-300G and the .454 Casull?

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=45-300G
    What are you guys' thoughts about using this mould in the .454 Casull? I already have the mould and would be using the bullets for practice (and fun) ammo rather than using the more expensive jacketed ones in a 2 1/2" Ruger Alaskan. The goal isn't necessarily top-end velocities but more of a mid-range load that still has some authority.

Why not? Me, none of my magnums see jacketed bullets. Its a wnlfp, swc or lhp for targets or hunting.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I'm new to the Casull and have never loaded for it before. Didn't know if there were any particular reasons why this bullet design might be undesirable for it.

That will make a excellent bullet for the .454 Casull. I have a Lee mold in a very similar weight and bullet design and it is very accurate out of my Ruger SBH.

I do not think there is a mid range 454 load. You can shoot the 45 colt range loads, Just watch for leading! To me you either have a 45 cult load or a 454 Casull.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I think that bullet should work very well for you.

My midrange .454 load is the RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet over 11 to 12 grains of Unique, BE86, or Power Pistol. Any of those work great in my Rossi 92, and no reason to think they wouldn't work well in a revolver too.
    Last edited by AlaskaMike; 09-19-2022 at 09:08 PM.

This bullet was drew up to be a 100 yd plus hunting boolit and feed well in a 1892 45 Colt Rossi. I've had good luck with it in a sabot muzzle loading, in 45 Colt revolvers and the Rossi. Not to mention pretty fast In a smokeless muzzle loader.

I'd like to hear how it does in a Casull.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks very similar to the 300 gr. LBT LFN I have used for years in my FA83. As a hunting bullet I can attest to its efficiency as I have shot hundreds of hogs and feral sheep with it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have that mould for my Win/Miroku 92 45 Colt .456” 19 grs. H110 puts them all in the black @ 100 yards.

Go for it, LeadHead. Like Targa, I have a 300 gr Lee mold and it and a 290 gr NOE are the most accurate boolits in either the 9" or 7.5" 454's I've shot. With a full dose of H110 and a Mag primer, both of them regularly give about 2" 5 shot groups a 100 yds or less.
    Both gas checked.
    Last edited by murf205; 09-20-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    From the looks of the bullet's illustration, it is designed for gas checks. Are you planning to use gas checks with these? If you try the bullet without them, your accuracy may suffer.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the Lee 300 gr. Wnfp, with gas check. Heavy dose of H110 is very accurate in my Ruger Super RedHawk.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    From the looks of the bullet's illustration, it is designed for gas checks. Are you planning to use gas checks with these? If you try the bullet without them, your accuracy may suffer.
    Yes, I have a good amount of .45 gas checks.

I have a NOE 454-350 that drops a 333gr GC HP. My 454 SRH Toklat (5.5") likes 25.0 gr H4227 @ 1280 fps
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Go for it, LeadHead. Like Targa, I have a 300 gr Lee mold and it and a 290 gr NOE are the most accurate boolits in either the 9" or 7.5" 454's I've shot. With a full dose of H110 and a Mag primer, both of them regularly give about 2" 5 shot groups a 100 yds or less.
    Both gas checked.
    Same here out of Ruger SRH 454 9.5" with the Lee C452-300-RF Quenched before and after, PC with COWW and GC, cheap compared to 300g XTP MAGS... Be careful with reduced H-110!

Quote Originally Posted by cobia View Post
    Same here out of Ruger SRH 454 9.5" with the Lee C452-300-RF Quenched before and after, PC with COWW and GC, cheap compared to 300g XTP MAGS... Be careful with reduced H-110!
    Absolutely, I run H110 ONLY with magnum primers and top loads or not at all. I really like 2400 better but the 454's seem to like H110 better. I haven't tried 11FS but it is reported to be an improvement over H110's obnoxious flash and blast.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    What about suggested powders for a 2 ½" SRH Alaskan?

Boolit Master
    H110 is a little slow for 2 1/2 inches of barrel. 2400 would be a better place to start magnum loads. There's going to be a bit of muzzle flip if you take the 300 grainer supersonic though.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot this exact bullet, cast in 92/4/4 and gas checked, thru my 454 M83 FA revolver at about 1250 fps. Far from top end Casull velocities but it will handle any critter I’ll encounter and it shot clean and very accurately out to 100 yards (did not test beyond that).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by h8dirt View Post
    I have shot this exact bullet, cast in 92/4/4 and gas checked, thru my 454 M83 FA revolver at about 1250 fps. Far from top end Casull velocities but it will handle any critter I’ll encounter and it shot clean and very accurately out to 100 yards (did not test beyond that).
    Great info, thanks!