Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Fluffy Swiss 1-1/2

Boolit Buddy

Fluffy Swiss 1-1/2

I bought two cases (50# same lot#) of Swiss 1-1/2 to load in my Browning .40/65 B.P.C.R. with 59.0 Gr. and a 400 Gr. bullet. I have shot this load for a while, and it seemed very accurate. The new powder however has a lot more "loft" and it fills the case about 1/2" higher and requires more compression. The new powder causes far more fouling even though I swab after every shot. I tend to believe my accuracy falls off the further down the string. I plan to reduce my charge to 58.0 grains to make sure all the powder is getting burned but am looking for educated opinions.

Boolit Master
    I’ve also noticed that the current Swiss powder with the pink labels is less dense than the older Swiss with the blue labels. It might even be less dense than the last lot of Goex Olde Eynsford that I bought.

I made a funnel/loading chamber so that the new 80-gr charge, which overflows the case mouth, can sit on top of the case mouth and can then be compressed with a wad and a rammer to 1/8” or so below the case mouth. The old Swiss powder filled the case short enough of the mouth so a wad could be inserted and a very small amount of compression would get me the 1/8” ullage that I needed to insert a paper-patched boolit.

I have had occasional accuracy problems since this density change, but whether it is traceable to the new powder or my fading eyesight and geriatric feebleness is something I’ll have to investigate, one of these days.

Boolit Master
    Most guys shooting well with the 40-65 are using the standard 62.0 gr load of 1.5 Swiss.

Excessive fouling usually means you’re not getting a clean burn of powder. Up the charge wt and the compression. I compress Swiss as much as .380 in a 38-50. And .300 in a 40-70. The 38-50 won a Midrange National championship with that much compression.

KW

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the opposite situation with my last lot of Swiss. My 60 grain load now weighs 62 grains. Swiss varies quite a bit from lot to lot. That's why you should buy it in large quantities of the same lot#. You need to do a load work up with each lot.

Boolit Buddy
    When I filled the case with 59.0 gr. it came to within .125 " of the top. After going through a 24" drop tube I was still just under the top by about .330 " I felt I had crushed the powder and that was why I was getting a more nasty patch residue. Increasing the powder load I do not think is possible.

Boolit Master
    All you can do is work up a new load in the ordinary way. I've had superb results with fluffy Swiss 1.5 powder, but I compress it quite a bit. Co-incidentally, or maybe it's not a co-incidence , I use 62gr and a BACO 409400M4. That's in a Shiloh in .40-65 which has a little different chamber than your rifle. Last time out the rifle shot a 35/40 in silhouette that should have been a 36 but I shot a chicken out of order.

Chris.

Vendor Sponsor

Chris, A 35 or a 36, either is still a smoking score and sign of an accurate load as well. Great shooting!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Chris, A 35 or a 36, either is still a smoking score and sign of an accurate load as well. Great shooting!
    Thanks. It's my best score, and I might never repeat it . It was the first time I've ever shot a silhouette match in basically dead calm conditions. I don't think we corrected by more than a minute for the entire match. It was basically an accuracy test and a trigger pulling contest.

Chris.