Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well good, found myself a 35 Remington

Well good, found myself a 35 Remington

A marlin with JC Higgins model 45 on the barrel. Not Microgroove and pretty clean mostly.Picking it up tomorrow so will get a closer look at it then. I guess I will use the 182 grain NOE mold I picked up a while back and probably load it to 1900 fps for my grandson to use this year. What is the best powder for this speed in the 20 inch barrel? Blue Dot?

Boolit Master
    Good for you. Always fun to acquire something we've had our eye on for a while. Would that NOE 182 Happen to be this one with the WFN GC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 182 WFP GC.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	304653

If so that is a dandy out of my 35 Whelen. From testing with soft range scrap, powder coated, being pushed from 1,850 up to 2,000 fps it should be a very good deer killer. Be sure to keep us updated with your Grandson's success.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the new shoot'n iron. Hope your grandson much success & joy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Good for you. Always fun to acquire something we've had our eye on for a while. Would that NOE 182 Happen to be this one with the WFN GC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 182 WFP GC.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	304653

If so that is a dandy out of my 35 Whelen. From testing with soft range scrap, powder coated, being pushed from 1,850 up to 2,000 fps it should be a very good deer killer. Be sure to keep us updated with your Grandson's success.
    Yep that is the one, works great in my 350 Legend so far. Plan on loading it in my 357 Maximum also.

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Congrats on the new shoot'n iron. Hope your grandson much success & joy.

Anything that gets him out of the screen is a success in my book. Ought to outlaw smart phones.

Boolit Grand Master

That boolit wouldn't chamber in my Marlin. The throat is too short for the full diameter body in front of the crimp groove. The NOE mold designed for the .35 REM is the 359-191-RF “Ranch Dog.” I hope your rifle works with it, but I recommend making up a couple dummies first.

ETA: it worked great in revolvers and my 1894 though.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

If that bullet doesn't work out for you the Lyman 348315 and the Lee 358-200 work well in mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use a max load of 40 grains of varget in mine with a 200 grain cast HP. My avatar is group i shot with it. Average MV is 2087 fps( I call it 2100 fps) out of my 336 with a 20” barrel. Drops 9” at 200 yards when zeroed at 100 yards. I use 50/50 COWW and pure lead with 2% pewter added in. It’s Thor’s hammer on whitetail with the load.

Here’s the boolit I use…

My microgroove barrel slugs at .357 and I size at .3595.

Here is a link on the post I did …

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

Starting loads with varget should get you to the velocities you ask about but top end loads had the best accuracy with my alloy choice.

I tried the 200 grain lees with the same alloy but didn’t get anywhere near the accuracy of this HP. Still have a bunch of lee’s PCd and GCd ready to go. I’d do some trading for Jacked projectiles if you have any?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-19-2022 at 08:53 AM.

First thing is you do not want to use a roll crimp or any crimp that alters the diameter of the bearing surface. Suggest you use a taper crimp on a cast bullet. You will need to bell the case mouth slightly. Then seat as a seperate step, and just bring the case mouth back to straight with the taper crimp, that will improve accuracy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I use a max load of 40 grains of varget in mine with a 200 grain cast HP. My avatar is group i shot with it. Average MV is 2087 fps( I call it 2100 fps) out of my 336 with a 20” barrel. Drops 9” at 200 yards when zeroed at 100 yards. I use 50/50 COWW and pure lead with 2% pewter added in. It’s Thor’s hammer on whitetail with the load.

Here’s the boolit I use…

My microgroove barrel slugs at .357 and I size at .3595.

Here is a link on the post I did …

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

Starting loads with varget should get you to the velocities you ask about but top end loads had the best accuracy with my alloy choice.

I tried the 200 grain lees with the same alloy but didn’t get anywhere near the accuracy of this HP. Still have a bunch of lee’s PCd and GCd ready to go. I’d do some trading for Jacked projectiles if you have any?
    The only jacketed bullets I have even remotely suitable for a 35 Remington are 180 gr. XTP's. Is that HP from an MP mold?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That boolit wouldn't chamber in my Marlin. The throat is too short for the full diameter body in front of the crimp groove. The NOE mold designed for the .35 REM is the 359-191-RF “Ranch Dog.” I hope your rifle works with it, but I recommend making up a couple dummies first.

ETA: it worked great in revolvers and my 1894 though.
    This rifle isn't microgroove so hopefully it will have some freebore. On the other hand if it doesn't work I get to go mold shopping. Thinking 36-200AS

Well it looks nicer in person than it did in the pictures. 1961 model with on very light scratch on the barrel and a bit of light bluing on the tangs from being carried some, not a lot. Stock has one light dent and appears to be walnut and it has a thin rubber recoil pad on it. Bore is excellent. It came with a large Simmons Aetec scope on it, a firesight front and a later model rear sight. So it should be an excellent candidate for cast bullet testing. It did come with 60 rounds of Federal 200 grain factory ammo and 16 rounds of Hornady Flextip ammo. I will have to shoot some of it up for brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    This rifle isn't microgroove so hopefully it will have some freebore. On the other hand if it doesn't work I get to go mold shopping. Thinking 36-200AS
    Mine is a 1951 vintage waffle top. No microgroove on that one. When I got it, I tried every pistol boolit in my inventory… then I went out and bought the RCBS 35-200-FN.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

Regardless of the mold you wind up with, it sounds like a terrific pick up. Congratulations! I wish you much success with it!

my 35 remington is a 141 pump made in 1940 in ex condition, i have never tried cast in it as i shoot
    factory rem core-loc 200 gr bullets(have 5 boxs) and it cuts bullets at 85 yards from a bench with them. i would like to try a bullet like thoses purple gas checked to see how they do.

Yes, it was a group buy MP mold. Make sure to order a lee collet factory crimp die I’d you don’t have one. Imo it’s a must for tight groups. There is still a current post on the reviews of the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    my 35 remington is a 141 pump made in 1940 in ex condition, i have never tried cast in it as i shoot
    factory rem core-loc 200 gr bullets(have 5 boxs) and it cuts bullets at 85 yards from a bench with them. i would like to try a bullet like thoses purple gas checked to see how they do.
    Brian Pearce has a nice writeup in the recenyt Handloader magazine using a pair of pumps: a mocel 14 and a model 141.

Jim

My buddy’s dad has a 141. I have a 7600 limited run carbine chambered in 35 Rem (and one in 35 whelen) I ordered in 2004’…we drool at each other’s toys!

Nice pick up it sounds like, I too have a JC Higgins in 35 Rem., mine from 1960.
    Also have a mid 70's 336 that I chopped back to 16.5".
    Both shoot the Lee 200 gr very well I use IMR 4198 and/or 3031,
    the later seems to group a fair bit tighter.
    Also have a Savage mod. 170 with a 22" barrel but I've not shot any cast through as of yet.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Well I went and did the4 odious task of shooting 5 rounds of Hornady rubber tipped factory ammo. Actually shot great but my front sight was too short. Hit 6 inches high at 50 yards. Ordered taller front sight from Marbles to match the Williams 5D peep I put on it. Going to play with the 5 empties using Unique and the 200 gr. LEE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast