Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well good, found myself a 35 Remington

Tomorrow going to jug test the flat nosed version. 5 jugs is all I have, hope the 5th catches it. I also shortened a base so I could mount a scope and retain the peep sight. Want to do some more precise load testing and a scope will make it much easier to pick the best load.
    Last edited by rickt300; 11-14-2022 at 11:04 PM.

OK put a Leupold 2x7 on it and accuracy tested both the HP and the flat nosed versions. Couldn't be happier. Sighted in with 7 shots, easy better than 1.5 inches for 3 shots. Did the flat nosed bullet jug test. This time at 100 yards. First jug was split in half horizontally and the top half of the jug went airborne,jug two had a huge hole in the front side and was split, jug three had a pretty good sized hole and was split, jug four had a hole through it and the bullet just missed jug 5 went through the backboard and into the dirt. Found two chunks of lead in the third jug not very big chunks. So tomorrow I am going to the lease, maybe even tonight if things go smoothly.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s what I put on mine after my initial testing VX one 2 x 7. Go smash a deer and report back! If you’re using that hollowpoint at 1850 fps I’m sure it will probably drop a deer on the spot or within a couple of feet.

Just guessing at the 1850 fps but seems a bit faster than that. Going to use the hollow point hopefully soon.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I chronographed my 40 grain varget load with a 200 grain cast HP and it averaged 2087 ft./s. Zero than 100 it drops 9 inches low at 200 just like the factory Remington jacked ballistic table shows. Zero it out 100 and shoot it at 200 and measure a three shot group and see how far down it dropped and that’ll give me an idea of how fast it is or isn’t. I use my Nikon ballistic Plex program and plug-in velocities to give me an idea of how fast it is or isn’t going if I’m not using my chronograph by the drops.

Might do that after deer season. The property where I will use this rifle is either open huge fields or narrow hardwood bottoms which is where the acorns are. 100 yards would be further that I can see in the trees so good. After deer season some of my hog hunting is in a huge hardwood bottom area off a river. Probably use my 7-08 there though. The other place I hunt hogs is a swamp where there are cartridge restrictions, why I worked on the AR in 350 Legend. Next shooting project is sighting it in with 200 gr. flat noses cast from a LEE mold. That thing is so much fun to shoot you need a 6 hole mold to keep up with it.

Last year I was doing the same thing. Bought a 1950 waffle top rifle in 35 Remington.
    Imashooter sent me up several hundred boolits to try and although I have the lee six cavity mold I will be using the rcbs 200 grain with RL7 powder. Accuracy has been very good at both 50 and 100 yards.

Last year I had started a thread and will update it if successful. Opening weekend on the 19th. Going to be cold out there.
    Planning on working with the lee boolit more next year and am curious to see how your testing works out.

Cast Boolits Owner

Not sure how the thread got closed but it’s open again!

BTW, one of my favorite cartridges. I have a 336, a Model 14 and another slide action from my fathers gear all in .35 Remington.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I have had 3, one a Contender 14 inch barreled pistol, more than I like in a pistol for sure. Well I worked up a bit from 34.0 grains to 38.0 grains of AA2520 still being one grain under max in the book. I did this with some of the 200 grain LEE bullets I cast the other day. The powder coating on this batch used Harbor Freight red and coverage was thin and spotty on the noses, the bands well covered. Gas checked of course. Shot great but 2.5 inches higher than the 34.0 load with the same powder. Barrel clean as you could ask for. I can only thank this forum for getting me into powder coating. I rarely ever went past the minimum loads in my past cast bullet days using lube and load development seems much simpler with the powder coating. Starting tomorrow I will be able to hunt either the morning or the evening so a bullet test may soon be in the offing that includes a deer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Last year I was doing the same thing. Bought a 1950 waffle top rifle in 35 Remington.
    Imashooter sent me up several hundred boolits to try and although I have the lee six cavity mold I will be using the rcbs 200 grain with RL7 powder. Accuracy has been very good at both 50 and 100 yards.

Last year I had started a thread and will update it if successful. Opening weekend on the 19th. Going to be cold out there.
    Planning on working with the lee boolit more next year and am curious to see how your testing works out.
    The RCBS 35-200-FN and RL7 are hard to improve on.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I am looking forward to your field report and photos of the successful hunt. Thanks for keeping this ongoing. It has been a great thread so far. All the pictures of the 35 Remington has me wanting to hunt with one in the worst way. In this state we can hunt with straight wall cartridge rifles only, which I understand for population density/safety reasons, but the velocities you are working with are matched easily by the 350 Legend, which is legal. I load the 35 Whelen to the same but cannot hunt with it, either. O to be able to enjoy these rifles in 35 caliber. What am I complaining about, the Marlin 1895 CB in 45/70 does a fine job, but the drop at 200 yards is considerable compared to these fine boolits you gentlemen are enjoying. The affliction continues, I suppose. LOL.

Well I went out last night to find the deer were feeding way out in the farm fields on some kind of ground cover the farmer had planted that was just coming up. To day I tried to test the 38 grain load to sight in for it and accidentally used some of the bullets I have sized for my 350 legend. Well what I found out was .356 bullets in my barrel will just barely stay on a paper plate at 100 yards. But it is sighted in dead on at 100 now again with the mild 34 grain load. Tomorrow morning will find me with two rifles in the blind, a 270 and the 35 Remington.

Boolit Master
    I’ve used the same RCBS bullet over H4895 and BLC2. 34.5gr of H4895 drives the 218gr gas checked bullet 1,950fps. I’ve killed one deer with it. Performance was indistinguishable from a 200gr Corlokts. 39.0gr of BLC2 runs 2,050fps, and is just as if not more accurate than 34.5 of H4895. Both are 1.5MOA.

I sight in +3” at 100yds. Zero at 150, down 5” at 200yds.
    My limit with this gun/ammo. But will accommodate 98% of the deer, 100% of pigs and elk I’ve shot over my 50yr hunting career.
    Why do I use/have anything else???

I have a bunch of AA2520 and it seems to perform very well. I decided to hunt with the 34 grain load but did get to shooting some properly sized bullets on top of the 38 grain load. They hit two inches higher than the lighter load and are just as accurate. Might use one if I get a long shot out in the field.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I don't have any Bullseye, 1900fps seems a lot for that powder. Going to fool with Imr 4227 now that I have some. Plus several slower powders until I get what I want. Most times I pick a powder I have a lot of.
    I am so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, this is why one should never follow internet load data without double checking...benchmark.... Not sure why I typed bullseye...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123