MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 43 Spanish forming from 43 Reformado

Boolit Mold

43 Spanish forming from 43 Reformado

Gentlemen, I need some advice....

I have some old surplus Cuban 43 Reformado ammo and I have a rolling block in 43 Spanish (one of the rifles sent to France during Franco-Prussian war).
    I was wondering if there is any other die or method to form the Reformado cases to 43 Spanish without needed the Lee 43 Spanish die?

Thanks,

Boolit Bub
    Nothing will replace the easy use of the 43 Spanish die, but you could look into what dies you already have. I had used several dies(8mm Lebel, 45-70, 45 colt) to neck 50-110 to 43 werndl before buying dies.

Boolit Master

Graf's has 43 Spanish dies in stock. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...tegoryId/2126?
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I think you are wasting your time and money trying to reform Roformado to .43 Spanish. Many, many years ago I split a Lyman .43 Spanish resizer die trying to do just what you propose. Lyman refused to honor their warranty on the die as they said it was abuse and I agree with them. The .43 Roformado is a much larger case than the .43 Spanish down near the base. But it is your call, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 09-19-2022 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I think you are wasting your time and money trying to reform Roformado to .43 Spanish. Many, many years ago I split a Lyman .43 Spanish resizer die trying to do just what you propose. Lyman refused to honor their warranty on the die as they said it was abuse and I agree with them. The .43 Roformado is a much larger case than the .43 Spanish down near the base. But it is your call, james
    I agree the bottom 1” is much thicker. I have the idea to polish the brass a bit and anneal the entire case before putting them in the die. Hopefully that helps?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge101 View Post
    I agree the bottom 1” is much thicker. I have the idea to polish the brass a bit and anneal the entire case before putting them in the die. Hopefully that helps?
    Annealing the case head area can be a problem. At BP pressures? Maybe? I wouldn't try that.

Seek a trade of your Reformato for Spanish.