RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: B.P. residue

Boolit Buddy

B.P. residue

I have been shooting a .40 Cal. Browning using 59.0 Gr. of Swiss 1-1/2 with a 400-gr. bullet. A couple of months ago I purchased two cases (50#) of 1-1/2 Swiss, both of the same lot #. I found with the new powder the "loft" in the cases to be considerably higher, but I shot the same load. At first the accuracy remained about the same, but fouling was terrible. I am getting twice the amount of residue on my patch when I swab after the shot and I think I am losing accuracy as the string goes longer. I am going to reduce my charge to 58.0 gr. to see if I just have too much unburned powder. Could it be my powder and if it is, any suggestions?

Boolit Master

I’m not an expert on black powder, but I believe the 1 1/2 refers to the grain size. Handgun rounds usually use a finer grain size (FFF). I think the 1 1/2 may be too large and you aren’t getting a complete burn. Hence the heavy fouling residue.

Hopefully someone that knows more about BP will jump in and give more info.

Just my guess…..
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    the reason I quiet using black and went to blackhorn209 subitute.

Boolit Master
    It could be the humidity or a number of other factors. 1.5 seems pretty big for a 40cal. I would put that stuff in a ceramic coffee grinder and make some 3F. What kind of boolit and what kind of lube are you using?

Boolit Master

Swiss powder grading system is not the same as the US system. 1.5 Swiss is more like 2F in size. Maybe smaller.

BP isn't like smokeless, where the lot to lot differences are minute and hardly noticeable. There can be a dramatic difference from lot to lot, even with something like Swiss. Re-work your load and see if fouling persists.

Boolit Buddy
    When I reduced the load from 59.0 gr. to 58.0 gr. the fouling problem and the accuracy both improved. I think I am back to where I need to be, I am just a little surprised of what a difference it made.