RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paypal Regular v F&F

Quote Originally Posted by gliebegott View Post
    USPS MO is not fun these days. Good luck cashing one that is more than 100 before noon. Had 2 900 dollar USPS MO and took me weeks to cash. If they dont have the money in the drawer to cover it then you are SOL.
    Go to your.......Bank...?

Boolit Bub
    WHY would anyone use PP? They are totally antigun

3. 09-18-2022, 08:13 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

4. 09-18-2022, 08:14 PM
    Reason
    Discussion

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    You will being receiving a 1099 if you receive more than $600 in year into your PayPal account. (from selling stuff)
    The laws changed a year or two ago because the DEMS put this legislation into the ONIMUS or passed on in a RECONCILIATION bill.

Scott
    Thanks, Scott / dsh1106! OK, for a fact I bought an item on eBay which I paid for using PayPal. Item came defective and seller refunded most (not all) my money. Hence, I just got money sent returned, this with a "cost of doing business" to me. The IRS would consider this taxable income???
    ((grrrrrrrr))
    geo

Boolit Master

George as a buyer you would not be subject to a 1099. Only people selling goods.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    PayPal offers two methods of payment.

Goods and Services
    Friends and Family (people you trust)

Using Goods and Services will offer you the utmost protection. If you have a issue, paypal will freeze the account of the person you paid until they make it right.
    They do charge a minor fee to do payments using this method. In turn, they will also freeze your account if they think your doing anything against their policies.

Using Friends and Family is just like using cash. No protection at all. Only use it if you are paying someone you trust or someone that has a good reputation.

As mentioned above in other posts, the IRS changed the procedure on incoming funds to Paypal and other electronic payments.
    If your yearly total for Goods and Services equals $600 or more then they will issue you a 1099 (misc income).
    You will have to potentially pay taxes on that income.

A lot of people stopped using PP because of that fact.
    I for one are one of those people that no longer accept G&S but will accept F&F.
    I never have had a issue with paying PP their fee and with the exception of panel sales, I never charged the customer the fee.

Venmo, Zelle, Cashapp, and PP F&F are all considered cash transactions

On the items I sell, I accept PP F&F, Venmo, Zelle, cash (yes green paper), personal check, bank check, and money order
    Yep, as I am downsizing and selling my personal tools and ect; I will no longer accept Paypal Goods and Services payments. I have no receipts for the stuff I'm selling, that I bought 1 to 2 decades ago, I wasn't buying it to resell, I bought it to use and I did use most items...and it wasn't used for business, it was used for hobby. I have no way to prove what I have invested in these items, so if there is some gain when sold, How would I explain that to one of the new 87,000 new IRS agents when they come to visit.
    So it's Paypal F&F only for me, or some other form of payment where the IRS is NOT in the loop. Paypal made this option just for people like me to unload my garage sale type items.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

The PROBLEM with receiving paypal payments, is buyers don't bother to L@@K when they send money, and they send G&S unconsciously.

Paypal offers the account owner ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO STOP THESE PAYMENTS!

You CANNOT filter out G&S payments if someone sends one you are stuck with it adding to your yearly total, EVEN if you refund the payment, and there was NO TRANSACTION, Paypal STILL reports it to the IRS on your 1099. That, by itself, SUCKS!

I had to shut down my paypal account totally against receiving payments of any kind, the only payments my account will receive are refunds from ebay. Hell I cannot even go to walmart and put cash into my account!

I had Paypal reps on the phone several times and went around and around with them, filed a written complaint outlining the facts I mentioned in my previous paragraph, to no avail (so far).

All this, to stop users who would send me work, from sending G&S payments because they could not look beyond their NOSE to see how the payment was being sent. I have lost a **** TON of business from not taking paypal. 75% loss of business.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-18-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    When someone says they will only sell with pay pal, I just move on.

got scammed - And now i will never again deal with any seller that fraudulently tries to save a few dollars by requiring F+F [ now called trusted person ] payment only - user protection by paypal well worth the extra fee -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gliebegott View Post
    USPS MO is not fun these days. Good luck cashing one that is more than 100 before noon. Had 2 900 dollar USPS MO and took me weeks to cash. If they dont have the money in the drawer to cover it then you are SOL.
    I was in your position they didn't have enough money to cash it, so I went to bank next door and they gladly cashed them. Something to keep in mind if you have another transaction.

Boolit Master
    I am in the same boat as George, I am disabled and have a very hard time walking. Standing for more than a couple minutes is out of the question. I have a wheelchair but I do not like using it unless I absolutely have to. Plus my shoulders are both blown out so getting the chair in and out of the car is excruciating, just not worth doing unless I have help. I don't like supporting anti-gun outfits but in some cases there are no better alternatives if you want something fast and the buyer does not accept personal checks. And a LOT of people do not accept personal checks anymore. And if you think about it, UPS, USPS and Fed-Ex are all anti-gun so what are we left with to get stuff sent to us once we do manage to pay for it? We are going to be supporting some anti-gun outfit whether we like it or not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Another thing is “friends and family” does not offer the same protections as the normal paypal as far as recouping your money should your transaction go bad. If it is someone I trust, then I use friends and family.
    I stopped any and all consideration of this justification recently, and ONLY use F&F all around everywhere. Previously, this quote I agreed 100% with and used when I felt appropriate. The change for me was consideration of Paypal's draconian policies for firearm related stuff.

Imagine a scenario:

You select 'puchasing goods or service' in paypal for the reason you describe and the deal goes south. You contact paypal to get a benefit, and tell them the gun/frame/barrel/powder/grips/whatever you bought was not properly transacted. Now Paypal is aware the goods in question violate their terms of service. Maybe it doesn't even violate their terms of service but it is "close enough" that the service rep can't tell the difference and is anti-gun besides.

whether you are the buyer or seller, is there any positive outcome from this? I can't think of any.

Now, I haven't had to deal with paypal for transaction issues as either a buyer or seller yet. I don't know how likely it is that there will be disclosure of the goods subject to the transaction. But I do know there is risk, and that the horror stories out there by some speak for themselves.

IMO the better policy is either "trust" F&F or use another service... At least that is my thinking these days.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    My bank accepts them for deposit!
    My bank accepts them for deposit as well. However, I was talking about having to buy a USPS money order.

I've been thinking. If your sales on PayPal are going to be considered income, shouldn't you charge PayPal users a "transaction fee" in line with your income tax rate? So, if I am in the 22% tax rate, and PayPal's fees are 3%, shouldn't I charge PayPal users a 25% surcharge because they use PayPal?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Cash always works
    Last edited by GoodAlloy; 10-01-2022 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Man
    People think USPS MO are the only game in town. Walmart MO's are cheaper, easier, and faster to get (and cash) then messing around with the PO. And good luck if you still think USPS backs up your MO against fraud. As a seller I ask for Certified Checks. I only use to do this for large ticket items but since Paypal has already informed me that I've exceeded the $600 limit it's CC all the way out. A Certified Check is money drawn from the buyer's account, transferred to the bank, and then the bank issues a check in the same amount. As a buyer you just need to know who you're dealing with. This is the way business was done buying and selling stuff interstate before computers.

Vendor Sponsor
    Both sides have a valid stance, my personal stance however, is that paypal is an anti 2nd Amendment company, and I will not deal with them. They may be fast and easy to use (personally I have no idea now, as I stopped using them many years ago after they screwed me out of MY MONEY). When I offer up brass for sale to everyone here, it states pretty clearly, NO PAYPAL!!! I may have lost a small handful of sales over that, but the brass still sold to someone else. Maybe I am just getting old and cranky, but I still believe Americans should be at work making envelopes, stamps, checks and delivering mail. Hope everyone has a great day.

I am with Devidog. No PP for me either, good for those who like it though. I'd rather pay for a USPS money order than give money to these creepy pot smoking computer thief's who just keep it up figuring out how to make us all pay more for being alive.

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    I am with Devidog. No PP for me either, good for those who like it though. I'd rather pay for a USPS money order than give money to these creepy pot smoking computer thief's who just keep it up figuring out how to make us all pay more for being alive.
    Kind of like the government which the USPO is a part of whether they admit to it or not.
    That said, I've had good experiences with both.

Boolit Buddy
    I've just deleted my PayPal account after many years. I cannot abide companies that have to inject their political agenda into their businesses. Just recently they had a huge fiasco where they were going to "fine" users $2500 for basically wrong-think. It got leaked that this was in the works and they quickly retracted it saying it was a "mistake". They already are anti-constitution so anyone with half a brain realizes that they are lying.

Anyway, I've heard of GabPay which is supposed to be like PayPal, but without the leftist communist woke garbage. I have not looked into it much so I cannot vouch for the quality of the service, but I have heard about it as an alternative to PayPal. It might be worth looking into. https://help.gab.com/article/gab-pay-overview

I sell occasionally here on Cast Boolits and have done cash, MO, and PayPal without any issues. But from now on, no PayPal for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had PayPal for a while, quick, easy, until they started to change how they did business.
    Besides their anti gun agenda they wanted me to connect my bank account to them, I refused, last couple of transactions I had a handling charge of over $10 each, I called the bank and they told me it wasn't them that it was an international charge from a bank outside the US, didn't make sense since the deal was with someone in California, I finally was able to figure out that PP will add the charge to anyone that didn't have a bank account tied to them, this after it happened a second time and followed a person changing chain through PayPal when I wouldn't be satisfied with whatever they tried to tell that didn't make sense, kept changing until the truth came out, they got me for over $20 in fees, I closed the account and will never use them again.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast