Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Loctite 420 for fixing hairline cracks - Any experience?

Boolit Master

Loctite 420 for fixing hairline cracks - Any experience?

I have a couple wooden stocks, rifle/shotgun with hairline cracks. I have seen several recommendations to use Loctite 420 as a fix. Loctite 420 is a very thin superglue that wicks into the crack. People have claimed to fix delaminated recurve bows with it. It is a little expensive, $20-25 for 20ml or so. Does anyone have any experience using it?

Boolit Buddy

I have used thin ca glue, and don't think the cracks ever got worse. I can't say it was that brand, but I think any thin CA glue will work. I apply the glue and clamp it if possible to squeeze the crack closed. Quickly wipe the glue that you can see on the outside with rag or paper towel or it will leave shiny mess.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce View Post
    I have a couple wooden stocks, rifle/shotgun with hairline cracks. I have seen several recommendations to use Loctite 420 as a fix. Loctite 420 is a very thin superglue that wicks into the crack. People have claimed to fix delaminated recurve bows with it. It is a little expensive, $20-25 for 20ml or so. Does anyone have any experience using it?
    I have become enamored with a product "borrowed" from the dental industry. The "stuff" dentists now regularly use as their super-super glue. The available to us product is called Bondic and has -- imho -- a few GREAT features. First, you apply it -- clear liquid -- with supplied applicator -- and it STAYS liquid. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bondic.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	304606 Just the opposite of, say, a contact cement or quick stting epoxy; or, even a "normal" superglue. After you apply Bondic, you my move/align parts to be joined as you wish, and THEN shine the supplied UV flash-lamp on the joint. Voila! It is -- after but a very few seconds -- joined!
    I have used this product on a good many repairs, and have been soooo happy with it I even bought and gifted each of my sons with it! I have not used it for gun stock repair, but -- if I had a stock as you described -- I'd surely give Bondic a try. (I get it off Amazon).
    BEST wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I got a little Bondic kit from Amazon and did some basic tests. Neat stuff, probably in the same family as Solarez for fly tying or the UV glues they use in nail salons. Seems to have the same oily residue after it hardens. (not a problem, just wipes off) Viscosity is thicker than Gorilla instant glue so it doesn't wick into a crack as well. And the UV light has to reach the glue to harden it. I put cracks in some scraps and glued them. When I broke them apart, the glue under the surface was not hardened. So I don't think it will work for stock repair. I did glue some other things with it and it works out well. Even seems to be able to glue semi-flexible plastics which are usually a problem. So I am going to keep trying it on things where it might work. For stocks, I wanted something that would wick into the crack and then harden. I will try some more tests with the Gorilla instant glue and see where that goes. Also want to get some of the Loctite 420 and see if it does what people have claimed. The Gorilla wicks in almost good enough but if there is a gap, it shrinks as it cures. Doesn't really like any gaps. On the plus side, it may not destroy the existing finish if you wipe it off soon enough. My other thought is to thin some 2 part epoxy with acetone and see how that is to work with. If I find a good solution, I will try to post it here.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Loctite 420 to repair an A-5 forend and it worked perfectly. The only caveat is that the wood has to be oil free. I tried it on an old 1894 Remington shotgun wrist, and it didn't work until I soaked the stock in acetone to remove the years old oil which had permeated the stock.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I’ve used Elmers or TiteBond wood glue to repair cracks and breaks that follow the grain in wood. I have a MWards version of a Mossberg pump that’s 55 years old. A wedge shaped piece broke off the bottom of stock at the butt plate 50 years ago. Lightly moistened the wood surfaces with water, brushed on a thin coat of TB to both sides, clamped, wiped excess glue off and it is still solid today. Same stock developed a crack where wood meets the back of receiver. Had to remove stock and thin the glue with water to get it to seep into crack. If you can spread crack open a mil it really helps too. Clamping so as not to gouge wood takes some forethought but it is the key to a solid bond. It’s not rocket science.

Boolit Master
    West Marine has a 2 part epoxy with a slow cure made for wicking into wood.

Titebond is better for pieces that have separated, not just a crack.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

. Clamping so as not to gouge wood takes some forethought but it is the key to a solid bond. It’s not rocket science.[/QUOTE]

When I glue a cracked stock, I use about 30 rubber bands wrapped around it. I leave them on for a day or two and take them off.

Denny

Boolit Master
    try the super glue, has worked for me in the past. if wood is oil soaked won't hold. try a little acetone in crack first, keep it off finish, use a small syringe, like a insulin syringe, this has a very fine needle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce View Post
    If you surch online you can find CA in larger amounts. a pint ran $60.00 the last time i ordered.

Boolit Master
    I got some of the Loctite 420 from Zorotools on eBay. Came the next day. I am going to do some tests first and see how it works out. It is super thin. Probably less viscosity than water!

If yours crack has the possibility of wetting one side with water I'd try Gorilla Glue. It wicks into the tightest places if one side is dampened.

L. Potterfield has a stock repair video demonstrating the GG & I've used it successfully two times following Potterfield's advise.

No experience with Loctite 420.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Brownells gunsmith kinks always touted acraglass for that kind of work...it does a nice job of running OUT of where you put it if you do not dam it in properly. I had some run out of something, run onto the bench, find a crack in the bench, run through that, and then go down and glue down off of the quart paint cans I had sitting on a shelf under there. The cussing started when I saw it had all leaked out of my project, then progressed as I found the rest of it LOL.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player