Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Micrometer purchase

Micrometer purchase

A few weeks ago I borrowed a friend's micrometer to check my Dillon powder thru expander. I ended up ordering a new one for my button nose wad cutters in .38 Special. I found my 'cheaper' digital caliper wasn't as accurate as I thought. I had also read some posts that the Lee 'push thru' sizers might be undersized? So I found an economical micrometer, with good reviews on Amazon. Today I checked several of my .38 Special and .45 Colt bullets. No surprises on RCBS or Lee sized bullets. I think it will be beneficial checking my taper crimps too. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    You might also want to buy one or two Class XX ground gage pins to check calibration periodically. A .2500 and a .5000 pin would cover the common range for most calibers, and ensure your mike is properly set.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never had a digital caliper, but have had a couple of Harbor Fright dial calipers. They are accurate enough for most of my reloading needs, until they aren't. Then the old Tumico Scherer (sp) or Brown and Sharpe micrometer comes out.

My ball ended micrometer is labelled Lyman, but I am quite sure it was made in Asia. I only use it to measure case mouth thickness.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

A nice addition to the mikes is a set of small hole gauges for measuring IDs.

I can remember when most shops would allow dial calipers for any close dimension

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    A few weeks ago I borrowed a friend's micrometer to check my Dillon powder thru expander. I ended up ordering a new one for my button nose wad cutters in .38 Special. I found my 'cheaper' digital caliper wasn't as accurate as I thought. I had also read some posts that the Lee 'push thru' sizers might be undersized? So I found an economical micrometer, with good reviews on Amazon. Today I checked several of my .38 Special and .45 Colt bullets. No surprises on RCBS or Lee sized bullets. I think it will be beneficial checking my taper crimps too. hc18flyer
    What would be a great help is a micrometer stand. It holds the micrometer and lets you have both hands free, one hand to hold the boolit between the anvils, turning as necessary to measure different parts, and the other hand to turn the friction stop to adjust the mic.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

The proper hold or grip is important to using a mic also.
    Roll the little finger inside the frame and press it against the ball of the hand turning the thimble with the thumb and fore finger. with bigger mics you may need 2 fingers inside the frame.

At one shop I worked a micrometer stand was one of the apprentice projects they could opt to make. Its an nice project

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    You might also want to buy one or two Class XX ground gage pins to check calibration periodically. A .2500 and a .5000 pin would cover the common range for most calibers, and ensure your mike is properly set.
    AMEN! But don't pick even numbers. Chose .2465 and .5012 for example.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

0-1 Mics normally are zeroed by cleaning the anvil and the spindle face by pulling a clean piece of printer paper thru them. Gage pins close to the size of the part you are measuring ensures that you have the proper feel even with the ratchet or friction thimble.

Class XX are good for calibration. The common and cheap Class ZZ .0002″ tolerance really aren't accurate enough.

https://www.meyergage.com/abcs-of-ga...nce%20chart%29

https://www.machinistguides.com/ulti...d.800%E2%80%9D.

Last edited by M-Tecs; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to add to my 'wish list'! I may try to make up a simple stand? hc18flyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    AMEN! But don't pick even numbers. Chose .2465 and .5012 for example.
    Pick calibers that actually fit what you are going to work with. .311" .3135" .3585" .4115" .4315" .4525" .478" And you want ZZ minus (-.0002") pins. Your mic will read the actual diameter of the pin, not what is laser marked on it. Your mic will read -.0002" than the pin is marked. Right there is all the calibrating your mic will need.

For measuring gun cylinders you always want a tool (gage pin) smaller than the hole. A pin that's the same size as the hole you are measuring, won't go in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The common and cheap Class ZZ .0002″ tolerance really aren't accurate enough.
    ZZ minus class doesn't mean + or - .0002" of tolerance, like slop is permitted, it means the pin is intentionally ground to be .0002" smaller than the diameter marked on it. They are equally as accurate as any other ZZ pin.
    Last edited by DougGuy; Today at 12:00 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to add to my 'wish list'! I may try to make up a simple stand? hc18flyer
    Cheap stands start at about $15 on amazon. That being said county gents advise about proper holding a mic aids in accuracy and proper feel.

https://www.fullyinstrumented.com/ho...se-micrometer/

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer