MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Forster hollow point\ how fast to expand

Boolit Buddy

Forster hollow point\ how fast to expand

Good evening:

Using 1\8” drill bit with a Forster hollow point kit. Rifle speeds are 1400 fps and 1650 fps, bullet weight is 285 grains, .379 bullet diameter. Are these speeds to slow to expect any expansion using wheel weights for an alloy? Thx for any input.

rp

I used the hollow pointer kit on my 9mm cast boolits, and saw no expansion whatsoever. Good luck with yours - my kit is just sitting collecting dust now.

Boolit Grand Master

Using wheel weight alloy you will probably not get any expansion. With the 1650 fps load the nose may fracture and slough off if solid enough bone is hit. In COWWs there is too much antimony and not enough tin for reliable, if any, expansion at those velocities.

If you add 2% tin to the COWWs and then mix 50/50 with pure lead you may get some expansion. Better yet, at those velocities is to use a 20-1 or 16-1 binary lead/tin alloy having no antimony in it. The use of a 1/8" counter sink after HPing with the Forster can open the HP to a wider mouth to enhance expansion. This is the alloy I use for my rifle bullets running 2000 - 2200 fps. I figure 1400 fps is minimal impact velocity wanted so that limits them to 150 - 200 yards max range. So far, for many years and multiple game animals that has worked out fine.

Here is a 225 RN in a 45 ACP with 1/8 Forster HP then enhanced with the counter sink. That bullet is 16-1 alloy and at 1000 fps out of my M1911 it expands very, very nicely. In rifle calibers I use this to enhance expansion in my 35, 375 and 45 caliber cartridges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_093941.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	304622
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-18-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Decades ago I had a Forster hollow point kit, and used it to hollow point RCBS 44-245-SWC bullets for a pair of 44 magnums. Even with an air cooled 50/50 alloy of coww & pure I don't recall ever seeing any expansion. The regular semi-wadcutters preformed better on hogs, so I don't remember where I lost the Forster tool at, but I don't miss it.

Boolit Buddy
    good afternoon;

had hoped for a reply from Mr. Gibson. If I ever hunt with rifle max distance would be @100 yards.

what I don't understand how people get various alloy. not smart enough to mix for a certain alloy, simply just use wheel weights and hope for the best. !?!?!?

thx for input, actually what I expected.

rp

Larry, that countersink would have been the cat's meow right there - I never saw that through Forsters.

Depends on your alloy & hp depth. I dont think 1/8” dia offers much opportunity for exp unless very soft.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    good morning:

when i started loading for 375 weatherby I got a large number 375h&h cases. the 1400 fps load is used to fire form 375h&h brass to 375 weatherby cases. accuracy was unbelievable, common to have a 3 shot group have all bullet holes touching. loading an arsenal bullet mold (lyman 375449 clone) sized to .379, bore diameter is .377. using Red Dot do not have to use a filler which is nice. I like accuracy plus recoil about that of a .223 Rem. Thx for input.

rp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rp85 View Post
    Good evening:

Using 1\8” drill bit with a Forster hollow point kit. Rifle speeds are 1400 fps and 1650 fps, bullet weight is 285 grains, .379 bullet diameter. Are these speeds to slow to expect any expansion using wheel weights for an alloy? Thx for any input.

rp
    Too hard ... mix the COWW 50-50 with soft lead . I'm not sure what the optimum depth of the HP needs to be ... you will have to test a few and see what works .
    Shoot them "air cooled" do not water drop or heat treat .
    Check in the Hunting Section , search and read stickies about velocity and HP depth ...
    lots of good info there .
    I now use the 50-50 mix for all my rifle and handgun boolits , target , plinking and hunting ... it's makes a better boolit all around . 9mm will mushroom nicely like a J-Word when driven +1150 fps without any hollow point .
    Learned of this from the hunting section ... the photo's of large game taken with cast boolits are impressive !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    good afternoon;

thx for input. able to check bullet hardness with a pencil set. hardness turned out over 22+. no way will they expand. knew they were hard because they were water dropped. will be pulling @100 bullets and melt down another 200 with more pure lead. thx again for input.

rp