Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wheel weights score, YES they are still out there

Boolit Buddy
    I use a sophisticated tool to determine wheel weight material--I scratch them with a nail. This may miss a few, but I had only one zinc weight float to the top while smelting lead. In a subsequent re-culling of the zinc weights, I found two or three lead weights I had missed.

Having weighed two sample ingots, I found they were 5+ pounds rather than 4 pounds as I'd estimated, so my net production was actually 75 pounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    My first bucket took an awfully long time, but after I got to have a better idea of what was what, I was able to separate out the iron and zinc a lot faster. I still use a pair of dikes to test each lead weight before throwing it in my lead bucket. I think a bucket probably takes 2.5-3 hours now. I do it a little at a time, 20 minutes here and there. It gets done.
    I have found the anvil type hand pruners to be more efficient than everything else. The spring-back handle and grips are less likely to induce blisters. I too check nearly every weight. An exception will be those COWWs that show obvious gouging and distortion from the wheel weight removal tool. https://www.lowes.ca/product/hand-pr...d-pruner-77178
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    Is there any practical use for the culled non-lead wheel weights? Will scrap dealers buy them?
    Howdy Pard; I used to trash the Zinc weights that 'floated' on the slowly melting COWW's, but curious 'bout zinc, I see that they are worth several times what lead is! I asked my local recycle yard & they have a 'nuclear alloy scanner', so no problem identifying my zinc for sale! It's expensive hand held device, but important for scrap yards, eh. Good luck.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

I scored a 5 gallong bucket of wheelweights today. Once sorted, I weighed the different groups to get the following breakdown. Surprisingly, it was predominantly clip-on wheelweights. 70% coww.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240227_153405.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	323897

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I scored a 5 gallong bucket of wheelweights today. Once sorted, I weighed the different groups to get the following breakdown. Surprisingly, it was predominantly clip-on wheelweights. 70% coww.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240227_153405.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	323897
    WOW 70% coww. that's great. I usually get about 45% but recently have seen only 35-37%.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Great score..ive seen nearly 50% steel and zinc whenever I found any. By the time you factor in clips.. It's mostly 70% scrap. Also I've always seen stick on wheel weights as pretty much pure lead but lately I have seen steel and or zinc stick on wheel weights and I was very surprised.

I just gave a big bucket of wheel weights to my buddy, and we split the smelted ingots, with him keeping all the zinc. He uses them for casting various non stressed parts. That bucket was a gift from another buddy who just wanted the stuff out of his garage. Since I am a very low volume caster, (150-200 boolits at a time), this will last me quite a while.

Boolit Mold
    That is impressive. Congrats! I've about given up on wheel weights with all the plastic, steel and zinc. Of course, I am a bottom feeder, so if I come across them free or cheap, I will still smelt em.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Burden View Post
    That is impressive. Congrats! I've about given up on wheel weights with all the plastic, steel and zinc. Of course, I am a bottom feeder, so if I come across them free or cheap, I will still smelt em.
    "Bottom Feeder", I like that!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12