Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel weights score, YES they are still out there

Boolit Master

wheel weights score, YES they are still out there

my one man tire shop (no lifts, just floor jacks out front in the elements) source continues to come through for me. Wednesday I stopped by with my dolly, flat shovel and four five gallon buckets. He had one of those small PVC barrels (maybe eight gallons) over flowing. I wrestled it onto my dolly and struggled to get it tipped back and moving. Rolled it outside onto a concrete patch and set about trying to tip it over and dump it. After some effort I finally got it dumped and set about shoveling the weights more or less evenly into the four buckets. Ended up with each slightly less than half full and weighing 82#, 70#, 70#, 60#, for a rough total of 282# minus the plastic buckets (and barely reliable mechanical bathroom scale).

After sorting I generally net 45% COWW, 8% SOWW, 39% FE, 8% ZN. For reasons yet to be determined this haul is at least 50# heavier than usual, even after considering the heaping full barrel. He did mention someone had dropped off a bunch of unwanted lead wheel weights so my lead % may go higher with this haul. Cost to me was $25 plus gas for a 12 mile round trip. And life is still good.

The moral of my story is don't waste time at the bigger well known tire stores. Shoot for those small independent shops who are not answering to some woke corporate office.

Once I get it sorted I'll report my %s, but not until it cools down a bit. I'm still sitting on 5/8 of a bucket of sorted weights. Just too dang hot for smelting right now.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

100% win!

Subscribed.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice! I still have shops that give them to me locally.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice score! Yes, they are still out there. And yes to the small local shops.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up 810lbs in 6-5 gallon buckets over the weekend. The shop owner took down my info and told me he would call when he got another 6 buckets. He was happy to not have to deal with listing them for sale and dealing with FB marketplace. At $20/bucket I will buy them and fill a couple of barrels with coww/soww ingots.

Boolit Master
    I got seriously back into casting about 3 years ago. So I called up an old friend that has a farmer's type tire store. First time he gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of wheel weights, and then I got another bucket from him last spring. Did not cost me a thing, but last time I could tell it was pretty heavy because two of his employees had to carry it out one on each side of the bail. Kind of made my T-100 sag a bit. Anyhow the best tire store as my cousin would say are "Half a mile out of town and down a gravel rod". Very high percentage of lead cowws. I figure the fancier in town tire shops use more of those little plastic covered steel wheel weights.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Nice score.. no small shops here.. and all the big shops use a hazmat shipper that gives them a hazmat receipt for their osha inspections and insurance.. etc.. Unfortunately our local scrap yard.. who will buy lead.. won't sell it.. ugh....

Boolit Buddy
    Nice score. I found the same thing: my small local tire shop has a much higher percentage of lead weights. I've been given buckets from Mr. Tire that had about 25 lbs of lead in a 100+ lb bucket. I can hoist those up into the bed of my truck...But I stopped in at the local shop and he offered me a 5gal bucket that I couldn't even budge off the ground. Not half an inch. With the two of us we were able to hoist it and dump it into a second bucket which could then be loaded into the car. Totally free, and friendlier than in-town stores, too.

Boolit Master

Sorted my 282# haul today. 102# COWW (37%), 25# SOWW (9%), 24# Zn (9%), 125# Fe (40%), for a total of 276#, plus 6# of trash and/or bathroom scale inaccuracies.

It seems my ratio of lead is decreasing a bit, but still a worthwhile effort for an old retired guy. $0.197 a pound raw/unsmelted. I expect to loose another 18% to steel clips n dross, but that effort will until cooler weather.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Still a good haul.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Still a good haul.
    I agree. Nothing like watching all that scrap turn into clean, bright, useful lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Sorted my 282# haul today. 102# COWW (37%), 25# SOWW (9%), 24# Zn (9%), 125# Fe (40%), for a total of 276#, plus 6# of trash and/or bathroom scale inaccuracies.

It seems my ratio of lead is decreasing a bit, but still a worthwhile effort for an old retired guy. $0.197 a pound raw/unsmelted. I expect to loose another 18% to steel clips n dross, but that effort will until cooler weather.
    I'm not actively looking anymore but I have one small town shop that save them for me. They use tire lube buckets, 2 gallon not 5 gallon, and I get a bucket every 6 weeks or so. My yields have dropped too, down to about 55% coww and maybe 5% soww. The rest is steel, zinc and trash. Like you, I'm retired and I rather enjoy sorting them.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there any practical use for the culled non-lead wheel weights? Will scrap dealers buy them?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, they will buy all but the rubber like stick-on weights. They don't pay much for them but most will buy them.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I still got two small hometown tire shops I get weights from, about every other month or so. I just added another 100+ pounds to the stash just the other day. Like has been said before, network!
    oley55, that was a great score! Congratulations
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Was offered a 55 gal of old WW at the scrap yard $ .15 per pound. yesterday.. Had to pass but the top layer looked good. I don't have that kind of time now. Looking after our 2 year old grand-daughter
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerlane View Post
    Was offered a 55 gal of old WW at the scrap yard $ .15 per pound. yesterday.. Had to pass but the top layer looked good. I don't have that kind of time now. Looking after our 2 year old grand-daughter
    I can relate to the grand-daughter considerations. I made some major life style changes for a grand child. Absolutely no regrets on my part, none, zip, and notta .

Boolit Buddy
    Time is certainly a factor. If one factors in a labor cost, it would be more economical to buy bullets from a commercial source.

Inspired by this post, last week I asked my garage man (after dropping three figures on auto repairs) what he did with his old wheel weights. I subsequently exchanged a dozen fresh doughnuts for an estimated 180 pounds of wheel weights. After 'only' 14 hours of sorting and smelting, I have 60 pounds of usable lead. I estimate 30% of the total was useable; as I expected, the majority were zinc (or something else?). Of the usable lead wheel weights, I have six ingots from clip-on weights, and nine ingots from stick-on weights. I expect this figures are typical, and offer them to others considering such an operation.

Boolit Buddy
    My first bucket took an awfully long time, but after I got to have a better idea of what was what, I was able to separate out the iron and zinc a lot faster. I still use a pair of dikes to test each lead weight before throwing it in my lead bucket. I think a bucket probably takes 2.5-3 hours now. I do it a little at a time, 20 minutes here and there. It gets done.

Boolit Grand Master

It gets easier and you get faster after you do a few. Buckets that is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast