Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Bullet diameter load data Win 94 commemorative (new model) 38-55

Bullet diameter load data Win 94 commemorative (new model) 38-55

Need help finding correct bullet diameter, brass, molds, jacket bullets and reload data. Trying to work up a good hot hunting round preferably HP for this gun. I have only harvested deer with bows and muzzleloaders up until now and would like this gun to take my first firearms harvest. I will be passing this gun down for many generations I hope as it is a chief crazy horse commemorative and I think 38-55 is something worth keeping alive because of its history. I also want to thank this community for all the knowledge it has brought me over the years. I may be a new member but been reading these threads along time. My everyday carry is a Ruger old army, you can tell a lot about a man by his iron and his boots or lack there of.
    “ We must assuredly all hang together or we will surely hang separately “
    Benjamin Franklin

I also would like info on correct case length for this gun or if fire forming 30-30 is sufficient. I can’t locate any starline brass and I believe I need the long any and all advice would be appreciated
    “ We must assuredly all hang together or we will surely hang separately “
    Benjamin Franklin

Howdy. Well, ya need to get a lyman reloading manual. It teaches you how to reload, with some articles on many aspects of the process and needs. As well as data for your caliber. It’s not a hard process but must be done with the utmost attention to safety and care of detail. Casting is a whole other skill set and while not hard, needs to be learned separately.

You can make brass from 30-30. But I don’t know anything other than that for 38-55 caliber. Most cartridges reload pretty much the same though. And casting generally is the same except for very hard to cast bullets like tiny ones or huge ones.

Anyways. I’m just a poor country boy, but I’m glad to offer mentoring for either casting or reloading, if you’re close enough to me; that is, in southern Indiana. A mentor in both is quite helpful, so if you asked for that I’m sure others will offer regardless of location.

You will need large rifle primers. That is the hardest part to find, primers. So be looking now.

Boolit Buddy
    Also if your Winchester is a toggle link action don’t shoot lots of “hot” loads.
    Especially if you want to hand it down to the next generation.

Just follow a good reloading manual.

I have a 'Legendry frontiersman" also in 38/55 with a long range tang sight which I use for Cowboy matches. The factory chamber is cut for the 'long' Starline brass and I use a 260gn cast boolit sizes to 0.380"
    It shoots very well

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Slug your bore, go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I have a 'Legendry frontiersman" also in 38/55 with a long range tang sight which I use for Cowboy matches. The factory chamber is cut for the 'long' Starline brass and I use a 260gn cast boolit sizes to 0.380"
    It shoots very well

Interesting, I wonder if all the 38-55 Commemorative's are long brass? I have a Crazy Horse, just assumed it was short brass.

Check with Palmetto State Armory for brass. I just bought 50 Starline 38-55 brass from them last week.
    My 38-55 is a Jes rebored 1954 Winchester 94. I use the shorter length brass and size my cast bullets to .377".
    I've only used Unique for practice loads, and 4198 for hunting loads.
    I've only used the Lee 379250F bullet( and .380" round balls for squirrel).
    Enjoy that fancy 94!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Also if your Winchester is a toggle link action don’t shoot lots of “hot” loads.
    Especially if you want to hand it down to the next generation.

Just follow a good reloading manual.
    toggle link 38/55 ???????? when did that happen???????

Boolit Master

All my brass is just expanded 30 30. Run the 30 30 through the 38 55 sizer, load and shoot. You may have to adjust the seater die to get it to crimp. Mine would not crimp the shorter 30 30 brass, but a little trim of the die on the lathe fixed the problem. Shortening the die will have no effect if I ever use real 38 55 brass. I use the Lyman 375248 and 375449 over 2400 or 5744.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Spike, the problem with the 38-55 is that bore sizes are all over the place. My current ones use .377, .379, and a .380-.381. Do you have a way to size the cast bullets? If you do then get .380 and try various sizes until it shoots for you. If not PM me and I will send you a small variety of sizes to try. Good luck with your project. I spent a couple years trying to get one of mine to shoot. Turns out I had mismeasured when I slugged the bore and was using bullets entirely too big for it to shoot well.