Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: New (actually old) Smelting Burner

New (actually old) Smelting Burner

So awhile back a friend gave me this old plumbers furnace that he had sitting around. With the propane tank - about half full. I finally got around to trying it out.

Attachment 304592

Well I've gotta say that it's a hot one. Noisy though. I had a bunch of sheet lead that came from old roof vents. A lot of rubber sealant, and nasty smelling stuff. Didn't take long to get to smoking and finally flaming, and I had a pretty good melt going on. Then-- in blew a rain cloud. I had to shut er down, and put a cover over things. At least I know it will work good.

I'm gonna have to improvise when it comes to filling that old propane tank though. It doesn't have a conventional valve on it, an I'm going to have to figure out a gizmo to do it from another legal tank. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Those are great burners. I've had one for years, but the valve threads on mine stripped out and couldn't shut it off. Wasted all the gas I had left in the tank. A good reason to never store LP tanks inside. Took it to a welding supply shop and some commercial propane dealers, but it's so old and out of date that nobody will service it. Doesn't meet code any more.

Boolit Master
    In my area it's a commercial setup and is exempt from the new tank requirements. Might have to get a pressure check on the tank.

Boolit Grand Master
    I inherited one from a friend but I don’t know what I’m going to do for tank refills… that valve is no longer current, so I guess I’ll have to find some old timer who’s been in business forever and still has the odd adaptors.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"