Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garand Box

Boolit Bub

Garand Box

Been cleaning my dear uncle's estate for the past few week now. I just found this garand box. I'm sure there's no value, but remember the good old days when garands and carbines were plentiful. The prices were so reasonable too. The good old days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image0 - Copy (9).jpg   garand.jpg  
    Last edited by pugjunga123; 09-17-2022 at 11:17 PM.

Too bad it was empty.

Boolit Bub
    We still have the Garand. It's a early led dipped one. Rebarreled it with CMP VAR barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by pugjunga123 View Post
    We still have the Garand. It's a early led dipped one. Rebarreled it with CMP VAR barrel.
    Excellent, definitely hang onto the box, together they are worth more than either alone. Besides that, its super cool.

just sold my Inland carbine still in box - early flat bolt w/ no bayonet lug - sold for over 10X what i paid for it - early small hardly noticeable import mark -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Bub
    The Blue Sky days....

I remember the local Laneco. That was walmart before any of us heard of walmart. Carbines were 90 (115 for Winchesters) and Garands were 165. They had just flooded in from the South Korean lend lease I believe. Anyway my 14yo butt went down with mom to put one on layaway. Mom went to shop for groceries and I laid down 25 bucks on an Underwood carbine because my bus boy salary was just not enough to swing a Winchester. Obviously a Garand seemed like a million bucks.

I still chuckle about that

Boolit Bub
    It was Old Sacramento Armory and Traders in San Leandro. Ads would come out every thursdays. Garands were around 400, Carbines 500, Finnish Nagants were 49. Everything was covered in cosmoline. That smell always brings me back to my teens.

Boolit Master

Hills Surplus in Grants Pass, Oregon.
    Late 50s, early 60s.
    M1 carbines at $50 by the barrel.
    1911s also $50 with the display case full.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pugjunga123 View Post
    Been cleaning my dear uncle's estate for the past few week now. I just found this garand box. I'm sure there's no value, but remember the good old days when garands and carbines were plentiful. The prices were so reasonable too. The good old days.
    Sooo happy for you that you have this box to complement the M1 Garand which it enclosed! Fyi, a dealer recently had an M1 Carbine in a cardboard box it came in from the NRA -- he called it a "coffin carbine" -- with the cardboard box adding about one thousand dollars to the carbine-alone's price! From this, I'd suggest you take extra-special () care of the box. (Interestingly, too, on the -Bay site I've seen just the empty cardboard box handguns were sold in going for more than the handgun itself sold for!)
    Enjoy both the memories associated with your find -- and enjoy having BOTH the box as well as the arm!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus
    Most of the folks that want the box seem to be S&W and Colt pistol collectors. Having the box is never bad though!

Where did they put the Blue Sky import marking?

Boolit Grand Master

Mine was stamped in the opening in the gas cylinder on the barrel. The throat and muzzle on mine were gone so a 308 douglas medium heavy 4 groove barrel was fitted.

Boolit Bub
    Blue sky stamped the barrels near the muzzle most were stamped so hard the muzzles were deformed.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I was fortunate with mine and the stamp didn't bend the barrel . It shot as well as I could hold .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus
    I guess I have been fortunate that the Garands I have came from the CMP so there isn’t an import mark. If it’s on the barrel, that could be replaced if they screwed up the barrel when it was stamped.

Enjoy your Garand! They are a blast….

Boolit Master

Those Blue SKy Garands were about $90 at the local Roses in the 80's ! Shoulda bought more...

Boolit Bub
    A story i've heard multiple times, about multiple different guns, was finding a blue sky import gun stamped SO hard that the imprint could be read on the INSIDE of the barrel. Fortunately (in this case), they were pretty sloppy / inconsistent and usually didn't get them THAT hard. Overall, the blue sky imports were often pretty unimpressive guns, lots of junkers in there. If i was looking for a millitary surplus rifle, a blue sky import would be a big red flag / make it automatically worth less to me.

But, to be fair, if it was a model i wanted, and it was close by, I might be willing to go give it a look over in person (a THOROUGH lookover).... and it checked out, and the price was reasonable.... it might just find its way home with me.

Boolit Master

Yeah way back when as a young Marine, I bought a Blue Sky Garand. It was nothing to brag about, a WWII era SA but I did covet that rifle. A few years later something ($$ is tight for enlisted Marines with families) pushed me to sell it. If I still had it, I would be on its way to Fulton Armory for a .308 barrel and NM conditioning. I’ve procured Garands since but I do regret selling that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I try not to think about the price and availability of the Garands Carbines and 1911's back in those days.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I try not to think about the price and availability of the Garands Carbines and 1911's back in those days.
    Me too, my father bought a 1917 Colt 1911 from the local hardware store for $29.95 in the mid 60's. They had a washtub full of them, wish he had got them all. It's mine now and will be my grandsons after I'm gone.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    I'm still reliving the past.Been going through my dad and grandpa's shop. It is a WW2 surplus barracks building they bought, disassembled, moved, reassembled on a concrete pad. My best find yet is a crate of 12 M-1903 Springfield's. It was wrapped in an oiled canvas tarp. According to the bill of sale, he bought it from a GI auction in 1956 and paid $200, crate and all. According to the numbers, They're all early USMC WW2 issue. It doesn't appear they've been in battle, nor arsenal refurbs, since they're all matching numbers. I'm just enjoying going through it and reliving my childhood memories of that shop, piled up with stuff they bought over the years. They were traders from say back. It's always a mystery what will pop out of that madness next

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast