Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Winchester Model 69 Weaver Scope Base

Winchester Model 69 Weaver Scope Base

Hello All…

I have a Winchester model 69, that I am restoring, and intend to make it an active shooter. It is a “true” model 69…. Not 69A , nor 697 etc… it has the original firing pin cap, with the rotary fire/ safe knurled knob selector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9DB8EE2-7577-41E0-9FD7-3EB94FFD780F.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	304567

I am currently working on the scope. It had a modern style aluminum, two piece, Weaver base, and a modern Simmons 4x9. I would like to change this stuff out to a more period type setup, and I found a steel Weaver base, with the rings that bolt down, into it. I’m trying to instal those, then find an old K-series scope.
    My problem is that the base is more than obviously, not the correct base. Before I post pics, of the mismatch… 1) I verified this IS model 69 ( see above pic, and bolt cap fire/safe description ) 2) I’ve cross checked thru several different sources , that Wever 2121 base IS for Win model 69. 3) the base in the original package ( marked 2121 ) is actually stamped with Weaver & 2121.

On the receiver, the forward mounting holes are spaced closer together , on center, than the rear holes are. These are the aluminum bases, resting in place, just for clarification.

Name:	72457FF1-0789-411F-BD37-989333F8F2B3.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	304568

The over all length of the base is way too long. The rear base/ receiver face is not machined to correct profile.. it seems to be a shallower, narrower curved surface, designed to possibly meet a barrel, as opposed to the larger radius of the receiver. There are only three holes in the base, as opposed to the four in the receiver, and in this end of the base ( that I think is not machined correctly ) are two of the holes, and they are spaced the same , as the rear two holes in receiver.

If I hold the base to receiver, so that the two holes of base, and receiver, line up, the base flies out over the chamber part of receiver and the foot ends up hovering over the actual barrel, as the crossbar part of base makes contact with receiver.

Obviously something is wrong with the combination, but I’ve verified … at least by manufacturers specs, that I do have the “correct” pieces . I do not believe that Weaver would sell a base, for an application, that to install, the owner must re-machine a contact surface, and section out and weld the crossbar, nor drill and tap barrel.

Any ideas where cross referencing has gone awry, or any advice on “ they used this for that, until this model was made”….. ?

Name:	4D57BEF2-95FE-4DC6-BA6A-94AD8272BE58.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	304569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50D43EA1-843D-43EC-B2E9-50732B4DC386.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	304570

Name:	AB5184E9-E508-43D4-8DA7-A7415DFCB96A.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	304571 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC1B7C5D-34D8-4138-9D4F-5B64763940C7.jpeg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	304572

Name:	594BD43F-D89A-48EF-A3A9-AAFF578EFC38.jpeg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	304573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D247833E-29FA-4275-AEF6-E13492620C55.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	304574
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

FWIW, in over 50 years, I've never seen an original Model 69 that was D/T'd from the factory.

Whoever did it just D/T'd the rifle for those Weaver 2-piece bases - so you best bet would be to examine the bases for a model number, look up the varieties of guns that they fit, then search for a mount for one of those rifles for your rifle

For instance, when I wanted to scope one of mine, I just D/T'd it for a vintage Weaver side mount (YMMV)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

FWIW, in over 50 years, I've never seen an original Model 69 that was D/T'd from the factory.

Whoever did it just D/T'd the rifle for those Weaver 2-piece bases - so you best bet would be to examine the bases for a model number, look up the varieties of guns that they fit, then search for a mount for one of those rifles for your rifle

For instance, when I wanted to scope one of mine, I just D/T'd it for a vintage Weaver side mount (YMMV)

I understand what you’re saying, and I thank you. I was not original owner, so I can’t say who/where/when it was DTd. I’m really getting hung up on that this vintage mount is for this rifle, but it just doesn’t line up in any way. Even if I hold it to receiver, and find a pot for other end to meet barrel, the cant would nose dive the scope towards barrel top. I would expect a product like this from, say, china…. Not weaver.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Buddy
    The Weaver base you bought was probably designed to be installed after drilling and tapping the subject rifle.