WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: .303 British Bullet

Boolit Bub

.303 British Bullet

Ok, I once again own a few Enfield rifles. Seems I sells them off then end up getting a few more along the line. I am fully aware how much the bores can vary and the need to slug them. Just asking what bullet folks can recommend, maybe there is an older overlooked bullet out there that performs well.

Thanks,
    George

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    NOE clone of #316299
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. That puts me on the right path!

This will shock you, but I've used the Hornady 174 gr. RN with success in every Lee Enfield I've owned.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    This will shock you, but I've used the Hornady 174 gr. RN with success in every Lee Enfield I've owned.
    DG
    The 150 gr. and 180 gr. Sierra projectiles (if you can find them) also work surprisingly well in the .303 British.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    314299 sized .315 used successfully in 7 .303’s.

Boolit Master
    I have an old mold: SAECO #44, that drops a 174 grain pointed bullet very similar in shape to a standard jacketed bullet. It is a plain based mold, but with powder coat my Enfield loves it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I use two molds from a local manufacturers a 192gn which duplicates the Mk7 174gn boolits and a 220gn which duplicates the MK6 215gn cupro-nickel boolit. It is important to use boolits that fit the original chamberings.

For gas checks, I use 8mm ones as it is far easier to reduce them down than use 30cal ones. These are sized to 0.316".

This 100yd group fired from an 1896 vintage Martini-Enfield and 220gn boolit

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Very nice, BAW. As usual, a fine performance from a fine old firearm.

DG

Boolit Man
    I have been using the Lee CTL312-160-2R boolit for subsonic velocity of around 1080 fps out of my Savage No.4 Mk.1 2-groove. I paper patch them and seat them over 6 grains of Clays, and they seem to work just great. Full disclosure, it's the only cast boolit I have any experience with at all in any kind of rifle at all. All of my casting experience so far has been with .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45ACP, and 00 buckshot pellets, so take this for what it's worth.

Scotty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    NOE clone of #316299
    It's a classic target bullet I like a lot. Between this and the 314299 version, you should be set for any .303 you come into between the extremes of "brand new" and "sewer pipe". You can take these up to about 2000 fps for a fair duplication of the pre-WWI MKI through MKVI service loads. You need a little more elevation on later sights calibrated for MKVII (like about the 300 yard setting for 100 yard shooting), but it feels like the real deal and feeds well. I have those two, plus the 311299. With those, I've got .30-06, .303, and 7.62x54R covered, plus the potential for a bunch of other mil-surps in that .30-ish caliber family. As a 200-215 grain round nose solid, you get a pretty decent poor man's dangerous game rifle in the bargain.

Since it's a bore-rider, the critical issue in choosing between the three is puzzling out shank/groove diameter and nose/bore diameter. The shank you can easily size; the nose can collide with a tighter throat.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have an old single cavity 311299 that drops linotype at .312 and has worked well in a No. 1 MkIII*, 7.65 Argentine and 7.7 Arisaka. Probably would work in 7.62x54R, (depending on groove diameter) but I have not tried this.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The old 311299 I came across must have been made on a Monday or a Friday because it cast at .316" . Of course the nose was undersized bit a trip to Erik to put a DD band that fit my rifle and it worked great .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    NOE clone of #316299
    This is what I use for my .303