RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: New to inlines

Boolit Bub

New to inlines

So I have been playing with flintlocks and percussion rifles and pistols for many years now but just recently purchased an inline. Its a traditions break open. Started using the pellets because everyone told me thats the way to go. Just wondering if anyone thinks measured loose powder is better?

Boolit Master
    I don’t think it’s better, I know it’s better. I’ve been shooting muzzle loaders for over fifty years and they ran the gambit of side lock flinters, side lock cap locks, smokeless in-lines (Savage ML2), and several TC’s (now shooting an Encore). Two basic reasons why I say loose is better: first is you can tune your charge more exact with loose just like any other reloading. Second is that sometimes pellets crack when seated and don’t burn the same. Yes, you can use pellets, but if you want the most from your gun loose is the way to go.
    Last edited by NSB; 09-17-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    gliebgott,

NSB gave excellent advice. I have flinters, caplocks and inlines here on the farm. My range is just out my backdoor. I suggest you try BOTH pellets and loose powder, keep good notes and go with what works best,

Adam

Pellet powder is strictly a convenience item................

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have used both, all brands, I find, for me, Blackhorn 209, loose, with a mag primer, works best for me, most accurate, on coronagraph and paper, most consistent, to meter and/or weigh out, burns cleaner, easier clean up, easier reloading, across all the guns, I might load it in, just my feelings, they all work, find what your guns likes and feed them that strict diet.
    The pellets, I found, would lose power, just sitting in storage over time, from my testing ??? This is across a coronagraph.
    Can't split pellets for a different load size?
    They maybe more convenient ??

Boolit Grand Master

I tried pellets when they first came out and other than providing a quick handy reload, I didn't much care for them. I much prefer to find the most accurate load with loose powder rather than the fastest load for more energy utilizing loose powder.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys that was my gut feeling but wanted a few diff opinions.

Funny thing is that all the guys who kept telling me to use pellets own nothing but inlines

Boolit Bub
    Forgot to mention that they look at my flintlock like it is the devil himself.

Rocklocks are - and us users are going to join the devil, sooner or later...
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    An inline will be just as happy with real black powder and a lubed full bore conical. I've already done lots of testing with 50 and 45 cal. I can point you in the right direction if that's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gliebegott View Post
    So I have been playing with flintlocks and percussion rifles and pistols for many years now but just recently purchased an inline. Its a traditions break open. Started using the pellets because everyone told me thats the way to go. Just wondering if anyone thinks measured loose powder is better?
    I get better accuracy with loose powder.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I don’t think it’s better, I know it’s better. I’ve been shooting muzzle loaders for over fifty years and they ran the gambit of side lock flinters, side lock cap locks, smokeless in-lines (Savage ML2), and several TC’s (now shooting an Encore). Two basic reasons why I say loose is better: first is you can tune your charge more exact with loose just like any other reloading. Second is that sometimes pellets crack when seated and don’t burn the same. Yes, you can use pellets, but if you want the most from your gun loose is the way to go.
    Well Said I agree 100%