Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Pewter that contains no lead

Boolit Buddy

Pewter that contains no lead

I am thinking it is tin and zinc!! NBG for bullets? Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Grand Master

Modern food service pewter is tin with 3-8% copper and antimony depending on the particular company that made it.

Chinese manufacture is a crap shoot. They have no morals and will gladly sell just about anything and call it whatever. Take a look at the sticky thread linked in my signature.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I used modern dinnerware pewter today to try and make 16:1 alloy. At a 16:1 ratio my BH was 10.4. It was pretty close to the desired 11BH. I started with 8 pounds of pure lead with a BH of 4.7 according to my lee tester. My modern pewter dinnerware ignots tested 21 BH. So a half pound of pewter was added to the 8 pounds of lead. I tested it with a BH of 10.4. I had to add other 6 oz to bring it up to 11 BH. So it gives you an idea of how to compare modern pewter to tin. I had to basically use almost 2ce the amount to get the hardness I was trying to achieve. About 9 to 1 ratio. I about positive I could have added another 2oz and called it 8:1 and probably would have had the same hardness. I started with adding 2 oz more pewter to the 10.4 BH alloy and it still tested 10.4 BH. From now on I will be doubling my pewter (VS actual tin) in alloy mixes providing it tests at 21BH. So to jump my mix up a half a point in harness I had to almost double it.