Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range is closed

Boolit Grand Master

Range is closed

Well, the anti-gunners have won this round. About a month ago an alleged ricochet damaged a windshield on a vehicle at the local range. I say alleged because in my many years (38) of being a Range Safety Officer I have NEVER witnessed or heard of a bullet striking a vehicles windshield which was parked parallel to the enclosed firing line and under the eaves of said firing line! The incident received only a cursory investigation and the City and County decided that the berms of all north facing ranges would need to be remediated.

Remediation in this instance would be the removing and replacing of the dirt berms at all of the ranges. This was originally scheduled to begin in October of this year and take one month to complete. Truth be told anything that the City and County schedules is NEVER completed within the scheduled guideline. Prior to this remediation the ranges were restricted to .22 lr. ONLY.

I just received notice that the range is being closed IMMEDIATELY and will remain closed until remediation efforts are completed. The alleged reason is that all of the R/O's have exhibited lead in their bloodstream, which creates a "staffing issue".

The anti's have for years been dead set against having a public range and have tried numerous ploys to have it shut down. There have been spent bullets and jackets dropped in parking lots well over a mile away that needed to be "investigated". A teo and a half years ago the range needed to be shut down and the entire structure cleaned because of a claim that there were lead particulates on the range offices. There were claims of 50 BMG bullets striking houses over 3 miles away which mandated that the rifle range was shortened to 100 yards even though there is a 1200-foot-high crater between the range and the structure that was supposedly struck.

It is unusual that all or most of these alleged incidents always take place near an election. I guess that the anti's have decided that if they could not ban the purchase of guns, they would inhibit the places that they could be used.

I hate living in a demoncrap State!

Moderators if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I'd say there is something "fishy" going on here. Supposed damage from a bullet, in a place where there shouldn't be,, to spent bullets "found" in odd locations,, and especially the "lead in the bloodstream" if this is an outdoor range.

I own a range. It's an outdoor range,, but it's not a fully public range. I call BS on a lot of this crap.

Yep they tried that here in San Antonio to my local range. We have protesters all the time but they never get any where.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Protesters here are on excessive noise now.......and having some success,too ......massive earth works enclosing the range on 3 sides ........its 4,000 acres in a city ,so a real estate bonanza for developers and agents..........Range belongs to the state,but was transferred from the army ,and its claimed the deed says it must be maintained for defence use ,if required.........the other menace,is police use.......million dollar buildings have been built on the site.....and the range is looking more like a police college all the time.

Boolit Master
    While the range is closed drop fired bullets all over town, hundreds or thousands of them a week. Make it so obvious that they aren’t coming from the range that officials stop investigating.

Boolit Grand Master
    What the poster failed to mention, is it is closed only to the public.
    le will still be using it for training.
    That's how it is to live in a one party damacrap state.

Boolit Master
    Indianapolis has a range in the city limits that was used by all. One day a subdivision reported bullet holes in several houses roofs. Range was closed then opened to law enforcement only. After a years investigation it was determined a County Sargent shot an MP5 in the air away from the bullet baffles. It is now open again but no punishment was handed out. Sarg just can not check out auto weapons now.

Well, as they say, "I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em go." Two ranges in California come to mind. Both were originally located well out of town to avoid conflicts with citizens, but as the years past the towns crept up into the hills and the residents of the new housing tracts began to complain about the noise. Absolutely no excuse for that, as they knew of the ranges being located there when they moved in. Pretty soon the days and hours that the ranges could operate were restricted, and eventually permanently closed.

As for Law Enforcement's relationship with ranges, I've seen it go both ways. In some cases ranges were restricted to LE use, and in other cases LE ranges have been opened to the public. The last club I belonged to in the Willamette Valley is still flourishing with no nearby residents, except two farmers whom the club wisely made dues-free members. I've also seen military ranges made available to the public by Base Commanders. It depends greatly on the attitudes and personal beliefs of the various Sheriffs and Commanders.

It's not a new problem.

DG

Boolit Master
    Maybe the golf courses should be shut down also? There has been more than one errant golf ball cause damage to a car, and even breaking windows of nearby houses.

Moderator Emeritus

Range I am a member of has had its fights. But the range owns all the housing around it(they are rentals) so attempts to shut us down fail because the rental agreement states that tenants will have to put up with the noise and any filed complaints will result in immediate termination of the lease.

We had one complaint of a bullet hitting a house... 500 yards behind the pistol lane! And behind a 20' berm! They claimed it was a rifle round. Then during the investigation the bullet was determined to have come from the homes detached garage. Kids fessed up to firing the rifle at the garage wall and after the pass thru it struck the house window. This house is not one of ours but when they built they were well informed that the gun range was there first and any complaints would be ignored. Owner has been complaining from day one that we need to be shut down.

County zoning states we cannot be shut down because we were there first and the few attempts to change that we fought in the courts and won. They can't change the zoning after the fact.

What do you call a group of Karen's?

A homeowners association.

Boolit Grand Master

Its not just the neighbors that can be an issue. Area developers and realtors see that tract of land as a major opportunity. Some will do all they can to get a chance at it

it seems that all the stands sooner or later suffer the same problems and for the same reasons.
    here I have even seen to find ogives on purpose beyond the surrounding walls, and alerting the authorities about that...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Lost the local shootin spot this year due to inconsiderate yellow tag folks shooting at midnight dumping trash and even threatening the landowner who was kind enough to folks shoot there.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe the golf courses should be shut down also? There has been more than one errant golf ball cause damage to a car, and even breaking windows of nearby houses.
    Not to mention the pesticides that get into the water supply and birds that frequent golf courses. I've been told by experienced bird hunters (I don't hunt) to never eat birds taken near golf courses because of the pesticides.

There was a halfhearted attempt to close our local free, city maintained. range out here, liberal "hikers" claiming it was unsafe to hike on the other side of the mountain.
    Fo clarity's sake, this backstop is the hill they said the bullets were teleporting through.
    This was more to close the range to entice a resort to move into the area, but they also had to figure out how to buy out about 100 homeowners as well, and when the backers realized how hot it gets here, the plans for a water park went bye bye,
    Now I DID see a Tucson range shut down, the same way. Tucson Rod and Gun Club was where I learned to shoot as a wee sprat MANY moons ago...and they did NOT control the residences moving in. Far from it - the range was on land it leased from the US Forest Service since 1957, IIRC, renewed every year as a formality...UNTIL an unscrupulous Forest Service employee moved next door, scattered a few "spent rounds", and Voila! The range was closed. It had had one fatality in all the years it was open, but Sabino Canyon, literally next door, had seen well north of 20 deaths at Seven Falls, and all they did was put up a warning sign.
    I hope your range doesn't suffer this fate, sir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On the Line 6.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    While the range is closed drop fired bullets all over town, hundreds or thousands of them a week. Make it so obvious that they aren’t coming from the range that officials stop investigating.
    Fight fire with fire, love it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Let me clarify one salient point. The range is closed to the PUBLIC! LE and others can use it at will!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    "Let me clarify one salient point. The range is closed to the PUBLIC! LE and others can use it at will!!! "

Divide & conquer.

I have issues with a lot the exemptions that LEO's have vs. the public.

And before ANYBODY thinks I'm anti-law enforcement, I'll clarify that my youngest son is a 14 year veteran LEO, my brother from another mother is LEO, and I have a LOT of LEO friends.

It's the "system" being used by the liberals to where they write laws to allow them to use law enforcement against free people.

Boolit Master
    Stubshaft, what state are you in if I may ask ?
    Here in Tennessee there was a range that a club had held 3 gun matches as well as general shooting.
    They build a sub division near by and an alleged stray rifle bullet went into a homes storm window and did not go through the inside glass.
    The BS investigation by who knows decided the “lost” bullet came from the range and it was closed soon after.
    I believe a new sub division is there now. Go figure ! This was many years ago.
    Way to many liberals move here to a good state, low tax’s, no state income tax, lower cost of living. Now they push their liberalism crud on us and expect to change the great state we had before they came here cause they wanted to get away from their democrapo state with high ridiculous tax’s.

Terrible politics. Hope you get your range back open to the public as it was before.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast