Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range is closed

Public ranges are owned by the Conservation Department in my state and located in very rural areas surrounded by farm ground for miles around for these very reasons. They are unsupervised and constructed largely of steel and concrete and from what I can see don't get much vandalism. Hopefully things will stay that way.

Boolit Master
    The anti's have been trying this ploy at our county range for years but luckily, so far, the sheriffs who have investigated said the bullets have come from a different direction or weren't bullets at all. That bought time to build up our berms and put up other devices. It also helps that all the LEO's including the Coast Guard and Border Patrol have to use our range on certain week days.

Moderator Emeritus

They added 8' high fences on the top of the berms in the directions a stray bullet would cause issues, and lined them with black plastic. Any bullet holes show up well and we can then pull the camera footage of that lane for the day they show up(checked every morning) to see if anybody was screwing around not being safe. Had ONE instance in a year and 4 complaints. We pulled video showing the people shooting were all aimed to low for a bullet to even begin to make it over the berm. Combo of the fence and video lets us prove it is NOT coming from us. There is a bunch of wildlife management area around us that hunters use, and some illegal target shooting from people to cheap to pay $35 a year to join the range.

Boolit Grand Master
    mayor came out with a memo.
    It seems that even le is not allowed to use the range.
    At least for now.
    Maybe hope after all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Maybe the golf courses should be shut down also? There has been more than one errant golf ball cause damage to a car, and even breaking windows of nearby houses.
    A few years ago we were house shopping and looked at a house bordering the fairway of a subdivision with a golf course. The new screen on the screened in back porch was in perfect condition and tight as a drum head, but the translucent window in the bathroom facing the fairway was cracked. They were obviously keeping the golf balls picked up because I walked to the other side of the lot-dividing hedge and counted 12 golf balls in the neighbor's yard just near the hedge. No telling how many golf balls landed on that lot every week in golfing season. A car parked outside would stand a good chance of getting hit.

Boolit Master
    Noise is the new angle used by the anti to close the range here ......at the present ,caliber bans are down to 308-30-06 class............and I personally dont blame them........why does every gun owner under 30 need a 16" barrel 300Mag with a muzzle brake?........or a muzzle brake on a 223 ? with a 16" barrel........I find the short barrel guns with brakes make the whole range experience unpleasant for me .....I hate the things.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Noise is the new angle used by the anti to close the range here ......at the present ,caliber bans are down to 308-30-06 class............and I personally dont blame them........why does every gun owner under 30 need a 16" barrel 300Mag with a muzzle brake?........or a muzzle brake on a 223 ? with a 16" barrel........I find the short barrel guns with brakes make the whole range experience unpleasant for me .....I hate the things.
    After 2 rotator cuff surgeries on my shooting side and an 80% tear the other side I am recoil sensitive. A muzzle brake on my AR-15 lowers recoil to where I can shoot for an hour and not hate myself the next day. Plus when prairie dog hunting it helps on follow up shots at 300+ yards! I have muzzle brakes on all my rifles because of the shoulder injuries. It has let me keep shooting up to .338 Lapua(only 10 rounds a session due to the recoil), my 7.62x65r Vepr, my Type 53 in 54r, and the AR-15. I had to give up shooting shotgun outside deer hunting(12 gauge slugs HURT).

Boolit Grand Master
    Was the range there before the homes????
    Our range was.
    If you know there is a range, then you know there is going to be gunfire.
    So you accept it when you move there.
    It's the same as moving near an airport and demanding they close it because of the noise.
    Just stupid.
    What is wrong with people these days.

Boolit Master
    It is called: I am special and entitled!!! Also a lot of teachers have told them guns are badd and you need to do anything that hurts gun ownership. We let it happen.

Boolit Master
    people say Im a nut,but IMHO,the most impressive bit of Chinese espionage at the present time is supporting the green anti gun movement..........I equate it to the KGBs anti nuclear campaign of the 50s,60s and 70s.

Boolit Grand Master

Vermilion County ILL-nois about 25 years ago.
    National Guard had a range down in the river bottoms. They used it just once a year. For a month before use an Engineer Company had to move equipment in to make it usable for the one week of weapons qualifying for the States northern NG units.
    One of our club members had a connection with an NG Colonel. Our club was given usage rights for the year if we would maintain the range.
    Worked out great for 5 years till a dentist bought some property about 1/2 mile behind the firing line.
    Dentist had a lawyer buddy who filed an injunction for noise pollution with a judge buddy. What they did not know was it was an NG range. So starting back then the ILL-nois NG had to pay for transport all the northern units down south to qualify to the tune of $850K yearly. No telling what the $$$$ are today.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was some rumours floating around at the Gunshow this weekend.
    Seems the gooberment is talking about closing the range to the public.
    They are using the health concerns as the reason.
    But they refuse to give any numbers or limits or proof that it is from the range.
    Being a one party state, with the damacraps in charge, it could be true.
    It was closed to repair the backstop, and workers testing for high lead levels in blood test.
    It's the only public range on island.

Boolit Master

You should be happy you had a public owned Range. NH never had 1 after all the money they got from the Feds that could have built them across the state.

Hope they open yours back up. Here in NH have complained for years for al the good it has done.

Kind of funny how the "public" has no say in "publicly owned" isn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12