WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hollywood pres and shel holders

Boolit Buddy

Hollywood pres and shel holders

Past weekend went to a garage sale. Upon mentioning reloading, the seller stated his father had boxed up reloading gear back in the day. It was like a treasure hunt!! Wooden boxes nailed shut, not opened in 40 years or better.
    One of the bigger items was a hollywood press ,complete with both primer arms and six shell holders. One of the shell holders was the RCBS conversion allowing use of RCBS shell holders.
    Lots old bullets, some of the companies I've never heard of. Old powder cans. His scale and powder measure and much other stuff.
    I'm in heaven just playing with my "news" toys.

Boolit Mold
    Nice score and hope you put it all back in operation. It'll be a walk back in time.

Boolit Master

Wow! Tools and supplies.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

It never happened w/o pictures.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

yes, we would love pictures so we can share in your treasure hunt. james

Boolit Grand Master

Good find!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

I bought a Hollywood Sr. a couple years ago. This winter I'm going to clean it up and use it to see if it really is fun to reload with one.

i have two hollywood universals(12 die holes) that i have not used as i have other turret presses. if i ever get the space in my garage i may set one up to handle my 3006 based cases. they are very heavy.

I also have a hollywood universal and a sr. The universal is tricky as there is 12 stations 4 indexable shell stations and 4 primer indexable stations. Gotta sit back and think it out! LOL..
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Mold
    I have a Hollywood Senior...its big and heavy...has less leverage than a LEE ...alignment isn't as good as a RockChucker

And its too heavy to ship.....Whats behind the "snob appeal" for HollyWood STUFF???

REDD

Are you sniping The holllywood users? To each his own. Tell us where your at and some body will do a rescue!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Mold
    Super6,
    Not sniping, jes a bit puzzled...Xactly, to each their own...I am high on a Mountain(covered wid 6" of snowe, today),
    in New Mexico...it aint New an dang shore aint Mexico...

I do have a number of presses and have been reloading since 1973...have several times bought the wrong STUFF...& now fairly comfortable wid wat I have....a non-shooter/reloader found this HollyWood Senior in an abandoned storage
    unit and passed it on to me for some cash and other considerations....I made a effort to free it up and investigated getting shell-holders and priming punches....several weeks later he brought a box in wid 6 shell holders and the priming tools...and gave them to me...

So here I sit with an old press that I am clewless as to wat to do with...no place to set it up...
    Its certainly a conversation-piece...

Thanks for your response.

REDD

For those of us that have been using them for more than 40 years the Hollywood is like an old flannel shirt, soft and comfortable and easy to slip into. You have to remember that when these were new there was very little that could compare. No Dillons and few other progressive presses that would do what you could do with a Hollywood. They would load rifle, pistol and shotgun, they would swage and you could do so sort of progressively or my preferred, which is large batch, but without having to readjust dies. So if you shot 300 rounds of 45 and same of 357, you just went back to the bench and dies were in place ready to go along with 1 or two other calibers already on the head. Are there better presses out there now? Sure are there better presses of the same vintage that still work as well and still have the value of a Hollywood? Not to many I would venture. I have several Hollywoods and many other presses including several Dillons, RCBS, Lee, Corbin and My big Hollywood is still my go-to for small batch hunting loading. Another one sits on the bench for slugs and buckshot in the 12 gauge. I don't swage on them anymore because I don't need to stress them like I once did, but That is how I started and they are no worse for it. Same cannot be said for one rockcrusher that swelled a ram using the Hollywood swage dies.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Mold
    I mounted my Single Stage Senior to a heavy steel plate on a wooden work bench and it has plenty of real smooth leverage. I put a little oil on that 2 1/2" Pillar bearing and it keeps cranking them out.

Boolit Master

One should always ask/inquire -nice score!