WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Accurate mold suggestions

Accurate mold suggestions

Any of you have suggestions on a accurate mold used in a Ruger Old Army? Im a fan of the rfn designs

Thanks
    Garbear
    Garbear

Boolit Master
    I think Accurate Molds shows a heeled bullet design in his online catalog, it’s labeled for C&B shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure if you want a mould made by the mould company named Accurate Mold Co.
    www.accuratemolds.com
    Or if you are looking for an accurate shooting bullet that you can cast ...
    I'm going with option #2 ... Lee makes a Conical Bullet mould for black powder revolvers ...
    mould 456-220-1R ... #90384 ... is specifically designed for the Ruger Old Army revolver
    Double cavity and is super accurate shooting because it is designed fo the Ruger Old Army chamber size , $33.49 in stock now @ Midway USA . www.midwayusa.com
    Hope this helps,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Outpost 75 has had good luck with the Lee REAL bullet in the ROA. Maybe he'll chime in on the subject?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I'm not sure if you want a mould made by the mould company named Accurate Mold Co.
    www.accuratemolds.com
    I'm going with option #2 ... Lee makes a Conical Bullet mould for black powder revolvers ...
    mould 456-220-1R ... #90384 ... is specifically designed for the Ruger Old Army revolver
    Double cavity and is super accurate shooting because it is designed fo the Ruger Old Army chamber size , $33.49 in stock now @ Midway USA . www.midwayusa.com
    Hope this helps,
    Gary
    oh yea...Lee is known for being absolute garbage so it makes perfect sense to choose them. SMH They cant even mate two halves together and you have to be "mold maker" just to get them to run.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    www.accuratemolds.com
    Hope this helps,
    Gary
    There's nothing about a Lee mold that makes it superior to an Accurate Mold.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Accurate molds are wonderful, least the dozen or so I have are. If you ask Tom, the fellow who owns Accuratemolds.com, he will steer you in the right direction.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Outpost 75 has had good luck with the Lee REAL bullet in the ROA. Maybe he'll chime in on the subject?
    From my searching I've read that i m thinking might be worth trying.

Thank you for the input

Garbear
    Garbear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    From my searching I've read that i m thinking might be worth trying.

Thank you for the input

Garbear
    the truth is most people like the cheap price of a lee mould and you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with a Lee Mold, break them properly, lubricate sparingly, don't run them too hot and you will be quite happy with it. They can be fiddly but so can just about every mold in Christendom.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Lee Mold, break them properly, lubricate sparingly, don't run them too hot and you will be quite happy with it. They can be fiddly but so can just about every mold in Christendom.
    IMHO nothing wrong with a Lee mold if they make the one that you need. On new Lee molds I always debur the underside and edges of the sprue plate where it contacts the top of the mold block to prevent damage (usually significant burrs here; removal is a simple job with a stone of fine file> I also drill and tap a small set screw hole (about 10/32) to keep the sprue plate pivot screw from coming loose-a simple job. After these simple tweaks and proper lubrication and care, my Lee molds have produced a lot of high quality boolits. Not bad for a $20 mold that only needs some minor tweaks. I would not rule out the Lee if they make a mold that fits your needs. With a little work as described above; I have found them to be excellent molds. Just my 2 cents worth. I have about 50+ molds from Accurate, Mihec,RCBS,Lyman, Ideal,Magma, and others in brass,iron,aluminum and I love to use all of them. Even the $20 Lee mold. Best of luck with your ROA.

I have and use two lee molds, both are in 45-70 hollow base and for shooting in my two Trapdoor Springfield's using black powder. I find both molds to cast very well and after a few thousand bullets drop as they did when new. I baby these molds lots! My lee 30 caliber mold is junk but have stopped buying Lee changing to Accurate and NOE. I have several great molds from Hoch but alas they are no longer in Business.